LegacyGT.com

05 Legacy GT 2.5 DOHC Turbo engine locked up

Car dealer here... customer traded-in their 05 Legacy GT to me awhile ago. The car ran really well, but shortly thereafter, the turbo started making noise. So we bought a cartridge from eBay and replaced the cartridge. Bad idea, right? So yea, that failed within 100 miles. Next up, an eBay cheapie turbo... less than 50 miles later, turbo grinding. Next up, 2nd ebay cheapie turbo, this time cleaning out the oil screens before the swap. 50 miles later, ran really well... until the engine locked up.

So that's where we are... used engines seem to cost $2500+, which seems a bit steep for a 13 year old engine with over 100k on it. So I was considering going JDM maybe, with an EJ20. How difficult of a job would it be to make this swap? Or is there a better, easier swap that I should consider? Thank you!!!

• Moderators
Car dealer here... customer traded-in their 05 Legacy GT to me awhile ago. The car ran really well, but shortly thereafter, the turbo started making noise. So we bought a cartridge from eBay and replaced the cartridge. Bad idea, right? So yea, that failed within 100 miles. Next up, an eBay cheapie turbo... less than 50 miles later, turbo grinding. Next up, 2nd ebay cheapie turbo, this time cleaning out the oil screens before the swap. 50 miles later, ran really well... until the engine locked up.

So that's where we are... used engines seem to cost $2500+, which seems a bit steep for a 13 year old engine with over 100k on it. So I was considering going JDM maybe, with an EJ20. How difficult of a job would it be to make this swap? Or is there a better, easier swap that I should consider? Thank you!!!

You should just swap in a stock block, EJ255/257. Hopefully your heads are salvageable. If that's the case, buy stock block, gasket kit, etc. Have heads refreshed (decked, valve lash set, etc), and have a machine shop assemble the motor for you. Install in car, done.

Are you keeping this car, or planning to resell it on the lot?

If you are keeping it for yourself, there are some other things I would do "while you're in there."

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

My click here link has some good info as well as some of the stickies.

I put a ej257 short block and gasket set for the year of the car.

The service manual may be some help too.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/engine-rebuild-threads-engines-only-142.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks for the replies! So it's safe to say that a JDM EJ20 is not a good idea? A new short block with a new (legit) turbo and a trip to the machine shop is certain to cost me more than the $2500 for a used engine - and I realize this setup would be much better than a used engine, but to me if it's going to take $2500 in parts to fix this guy, I'd rather cut my losses.

• Moderators

It's going to take you AT LEAST $2500 to fix. If you don't plan on keeping it, I would honestly just cut your losses.

Shortblock and gasket kit will be like $2200. Machine shop bill something like $600-800? Turbo, $600-1000 for a stock turbo that doesn't require a tune. You could find a decent used one for say, $400.

So low end you are looking at a solid $3200 plus odds and ends, fluids, etc. High end is probably more like $4200 or so. If you're heads need to be replaced for any reason, cost will shoot through the roof.

So low end you are looking at a solid $3200 plus odds and ends, fluids, etc. High end is probably more like $4200 or so. If you're heads need to be replaced for any reason, cost will shoot through the roof.

Is it just more, or do heads seem unjustifiably expensive?

I'm only used to chevy 350's, 305's, ford 302's, etc. I know the quantity of those motors is immense but it also seems like these heads on the EJ motors are rather plentiful (no fact behind my opinion). You can get awesome flowing Ford iron GT40P's for the cost of one used Subaru B25 head!

• Moderators

Heads are just a rabbit hole. Used ones in LEGIT good condition are tough to find. Equally tough to find is a shop that had any idea what they are doing in terms of properly setting lash, it seems. Not sure why.

Looks like Rockauto has one manufacturer that lists a loaded head at $517 plus a core charge. That seems REALLY reasonable if they are quality, but only one side is listed as available. The brand with both sides available is listed at $1125 plus a $450 core charge for EACH side.

So best case, you are looking at about $1100 for new heads (seriously, that would be a killer price if they are good quality), but more realistically it seems you are looking at $2300 after some shipping and after returning your cores. If cores need to be in good condition and yours are shot, you are out another $900 since you don't have cores to return.

Also if you can fix it right, the car can bring a price, as these that are well maintained give great bang for the buck.

I have almost 98,000 miles on my ej257 at 21psi. Car is a blast to drive everyday.

How to do it right is all here in one post. see my sig.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Moderators
Also if you can fix it right, the car can bring a price, as these that are well maintained give great bang for the buck.

I have almost 98,000 miles on my ej257 at 21psi. Car is a blast to drive everyday.

How to do it right is all here in one post. see my sig.

Bang for buck is true, but the money that these cars command these days is shit. An '05 on a used car dealer lot with no history isn't likely to command a premium, IMO--certainly not enough to warrant dumping $4-5k worth of parts and labor as a business owner.

In Zanesville, Ohio.

When the car was running right, we still had trouble getting $5000 for it... there are so few people realize what this car really is! Doesn't look like we'll be fixing it though - gonna post it on Craigslist and Facebook and see what we can get out of it. Thanks for all of the input, and if anyone is interested in it, let me know!

When the car was running right, we still had trouble getting $5000 for it... there are so few people realize what this car really is!

I think the low prices are also due to the turbo/engine failures like you have had. What has happen to your trade in is common. Unfortunately a bunch of owners have traded in LGT at the 1st sign of trouble trying to pass the buck to the next owner/dealer.

Archived