LegacyGT.com

best "cheap" or ebay exhaust, options and experiences needed please

I'm not one to go cheap with my cars, my STI and the legacy both get the best I can get. Now I'll tell you the reason I want to go cheap with the exhaust on the legacy. Its not for power or looks, its my DD I drive over 120 miles a day with it. Its an automatic 2005 2.5i All I want is sound, nothing 2 loud just a little something, stock is just to quiet, I always have that modification bug!

I love the look and the sound of the limitless performance muffler deletes but im open to see what you guys are running, Im looking to spend no more then $350.

thanks in advance

matt

I'm not one to go cheap with my cars, my STI and the legacy both get the best I can get. Now I'll tell you the reason I want to go cheap with the exhaust on the legacy. Its not for power or looks, its my DD I drive over 120 miles a day with it. Its an automatic 2005 2.5i All I want is sound, nothing 2 loud just a little something, stock is just to quiet, I always have that modification bug!

I love the look and the sound of the limitless performance muffler deletes but im open to see what you guys are running, Im looking to spend no more then $350.

thanks in advance

matt

Howdy,

Nice wheels (both sets). Since you have a money pit (STi :lol:) you can understand how easy it is to sink $1K into a Subaru. You have a 2005 which is that odd year for the 2.5i as it suffers from the same fitment issues as the 02-07 GD crowd has btwn N/A and Turbo. All LGT specific CBE's (05-09) can be made to fit none will bolt up unmodified.

Since you want a lil more dB out of your ride look for a pair of axleback mufflers (I would try Flowmaster 60 series in 2" I/O with some nice tips). Also for your budget you can get a used cheap cat back and sell the Y pipe and use the mufflers.

Howdy,

Nice wheels (both sets). Since you have a money pit (STi :lol:) you can understand how easy it is to sink $1K into a Subaru. You have a 2005 which is that odd year for the 2.5i as it suffers from the same fitment issues as the 02-07 GD crowd has btwn N/A and Turbo. All LGT specific CBE's (05-09) can be made to fit none will bolt up unmodified.

Since you want a lil more dB out of your ride look for a pair of axleback mufflers (I would try Flowmaster 60 series in 2" I/O with some nice tips). Also for your budget you can get a used cheap cat back and sell the Y pipe and use the mufflers.

I was told that the catback from any legacy gt will fit up to the 2.5i the owner before me also installed a legacy gt catback, I can take pictures and post them up later today and you can tell me what you all think!

thanks so far!!

I was told that the catback from any legacy gt will fit up to the 2.5i the owner before me also installed a legacy gt catback, I can take pictures and post them up later today and you can tell me what you all think!

thanks so far!!

It will fit but youll need a simple adapter to span the gap between your cat section and the LGT CBE. Nothing expensive just make sure you have it on hand or have a shop make it for you.

I should have been more clear early sorry for the confusion...the 02-07 RS and the 2005 2.5i NON-PZEV have the same exhaust manifold and cat section whereas 06-09 Legacy (LGT and 2.5i) have the same terminating points which is why we can run any LGT without the need of an adapter.

It will fit but youll need a simple adapter to span the gap between your cat section and the LGT CBE. Nothing expensive just make sure you have it on hand or have a shop make it for you.

I should have been more clear early sorry for the confusion...the 02-07 RS and the 2005 2.5i NON-PZEV have the same exhaust manifold and cat section whereas 06-09 Legacy (LGT and 2.5i) have the same terminating points which is why we can run any LGT without the need of an adapter.

thanks sir! you have a link on where i can get this adapter?

thanks sir! you have a link on where i can get this adapter?

It must be made or bought used from a 2.5RS owner but here is a picture:

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/3278/adapter02.jpg

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7238/adapter01.jpg

It is basically an adapter to allow you to bolt on any LGT/WRX CBE (if youre a 2.5i 02-07)

You could also cut the CBE flange and extend and rotate it to meet your cat pipe section.

Sorry to hijack a thread, but I have magnaflow mufflers on my Legacy right now, its extremely quiet but the tips look awesome, gotten a lot of compliments. Anyway of making her sound a little louder/deeper? I've heard resonator deletes and it doesn't sound too good with our single cam cars. The one video I saw was with stock mufflers however, so maybe a res delete will sound better with the magnaflow mufflers. I really want that header, but I just don't know if im ready to fork out $625 and wait 3 months.

Sorry to hijack a thread, but I have magnaflow mufflers on my Legacy right now, its extremely quiet but the tips look awesome, gotten a lot of compliments. Anyway of making her sound a little louder/deeper? I've heard resonator deletes and it doesn't sound too good with our single cam cars. The one video I saw was with stock mufflers however, so maybe a res delete will sound better with the magnaflow mufflers. I really want that header, but I just don't know if im ready to fork out $625 and wait 3 months.

Can't make an EL header sound deeper period on a H4 Subaru. H6 yes sex can be achieved with ease, on the H4 the pulses perfectly phased aren't deep in nature/tone.

:redface:

A resonator, by definition, is an absorption or Burgess type muffler. This design is very effective at absorbing high-frequency sound energy while allowing low-frequency energy to pass right through. Removing resonators typically gets you more raspy noise, while adding them lowers the overall tone.

If you want low tone, add resonators. If you want loud, remove the mufflers.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Archived