LegacyGT.com

Should I sell or recycle stock DP

I basically gave it to my buddy (so I sort of sold it for labor). I have nowhere to store anything other than a relatives. So if storage was NOT tight I would have kept it.

Only thing I have kept so far is the stock CV shafts and am going to re-boot them and possibly sell or keep as these aftermarket ones have very little vibration compared to most.

By emissions do you mean "sniffer-test" or just a 'OBD test'? Is CA the only test w/ a sniffer portion?

NY just does a visual check for a cat, and as long as no CEL is thrown they do not investigate further.

EDIT: I guess it makes it important, is the Invidia catted or not? If it is not catted then I would change my prior opinion... keep it.

Invidia catted is up higher and can't be seen. I can't pass visual with it and have kept my stock for the once a year check. Others are in the lower section and will pass visual for some people. If you may need it for inspection and have the room, keep it. If not, I would sell it, someone will come along that wished they had kept theirs...

Invidia catted is up higher and can't be seen. I can't pass visual with it and have kept my stock for the once a year check. Others are in the lower section and will pass visual for some people. If you may need it for inspection and have the room, keep it. If not, I would sell it, someone will come along that wished they had kept theirs...

My local testing place told me they had to look for it, but they were able to find it and it was ok.

Surprised your guy just didn't look harder, may be tell them its higher up the pipe next time.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If an inspector told me they couldn't find it and failed it I would ask him to come out to the car w/ me; open the hood and point down to it and say "did you get your inspectors license from a cereal box?"

Then I'd question him on if it's a bad thing that the cat gets warm from being so close to the engine; I am sure they would offer a water spraying system to keep it cool :)

They've never given me crap about mine. In reality the mirror thing is only a show in TN, ODB-II and gas cap test is all they care about.

They've never given me crap about mine. In reality the mirror thing is only a show in TN, ODB-II and gas cap test is all they care about.

The regs say they are only supposed to do mirrors for <96, but they do all. I'll try harder next year. I hate the process of replacing my downpipe each year.

The regs say they are only supposed to do mirrors for <96, but they do all. I'll try harder next year. I hate the process of replacing my downpipe each year.

Better than replacing the up-pipe!

Having a 2005, it is good to know that 99.9% of inspectors would not know the wagon had a front up-pipe cat (meow) there anyway.

Another reason I like the STi up-pipe, looks OE!

Oh yea, catted up pipe...I wonder where mine is. It's been off the car for about 7 years now. It should be in a box of parts somewhere around the basement or one of the sheds.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Storage is limited at my place. We do have emissions testing in washington but it's just the code reader. I've already passed (and am keeping my third cat) and my tuner will patch the CEL if I get one. I've never seen them do a sniffer test here in WA, or a visual inspection for that matter. My downpipe is catless because cheap. I really doubt I'll need it, I suppose I could always grab one from the junkyard or swap on the forums for a catted if need arises down the road.

Not easy to find a good condition one at a junkyard, they usually rip them off themselves around here b/c of the cats (meow).

That's because it's actually illegal to sell used cats unless you have a way to verify it's operational. This law was meant to prevent people from buying bad ones, but probably causes a net increase in emissions due to people not fixing emissions issues on a cost basis. :spin:

• Moderators
That's because it's actually illegal to sell used cats unless you have a way to verify it's operational. This law was meant to prevent people from buying bad ones, but probably causes a net increase in emissions due to people not fixing emissions issues on a cost basis. :spin:

It's illegal to sell them for reuse unless you recertify them. It's not illegal to sell them for scrap except in certain states.

You can get more for them on eBay than for scrap.

Sometimes. Although I also sometimes buy them on eBay for less than scrap value.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• 3 years later...
Where do you guys sell used cats? Metal recyclers?

I have two catted uppipes laying around and was wondering if I can get any coin for them.

I guess you missed my post from last Sept. I googled, https://www.google.com/search?q=catalytic+converter+recycling+near+me&rlz=1C1OKWM_enUS906US906&oq=catillytic+converter+recy&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0i13i457j0i13l6.25504j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I got about $1800 for two of them. You need to send them the two part numbers off the two cats in each pipe. Something like this,

DSCN8610.thumb.JPG.c8975f345d774c25c0a133f7609fead2.JPG