LegacyGT.com

Trunk Release Button (in car) not working?

Hey guys,

My wife's 2010 Legacy 2.5i has a problem with the trunk release. The button inside the car no longer opens the trunk. However, the Key-fob button still works just fine.

Has anyone had this happen to their legacy? I'd much rather fix it myself than take to the dealership (it has over 50k miles on it, so the bumper-bumper warranty is gone).

Edited by Darksabre

i guess that's the obvious place to check huh? my logic was backwards - i was thinking since the keyfob still worked, the cancel wasn't engaged. It makes much more sense that the cancel button would stop the in-car button from working (for a valet, since they would not have the keyfob.) duh.

that fixed it - thanks man.

• 4 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Did you check the cancel/override buttom in the glove box?

The dealer just did the passenger side airbag recall a few weeks ago, and I had it out with them. They wanted to charge me $130 for the diagnoses...turns out it was the button. :spin:

Thanks!

• 9 months later...
I just discovered this forum while looking to to fix the issue of the trunk no longer openning from the inside. I have a 2012 legacy 2.5 and recently had an airbag replaced due to a recall. I never knew about the valet cancel/overide button until I read this thread. Thank you, my trunk button is working again.

I was telling my wife how funny it was to me that some of the most impressive DIY engineers and car builders are on this site, people who can argue tolerances in the thousandths and offer DIY advice to rebuild an entire motor while having only a few photos as reference, and who can remember posts on this forum from 9 years ago, but who also didn’t know that the LGT steering wheel telescoped. I thought that was hilarious. And then...

I had no idea the reason I couldn’t pop the trunk from inside the car was because there’s a valet defeat in the glove box. Stunning.

• 11 months later...

7 years since the initial posting... but my "best friend" found it!!! :-)

Not sure why I wanted to inquire about a suddenly not working inside trunk release just before tomorrow's maintenance visit to the dealership where they wanted to do a diagnostic on the issue. Anyhow, I am now a certified 2014 Subaru Legacy mechanic thanks to Picky1.

Old dogs and tricks...

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Picky1 right on. I had the driver side airbag replaced in late May for which they said they had to pull that dash out.

I figured the switch was bad and was looking how to replace it. It lists for $28 OEM Looked on the forum to see how to remove it and found this thread.

I wonder how many of us paid the stealer the diagnosis fee for their mistake in not setting up like out of the dealer when I bought 7 years ago.