LegacyGT.com

07 LGT motor swap into 05 LGT?

Hey everyone,

I picked up a built motor setup out of an 07 LGT that I'll be looking to swap into my 05 LGT later this year. For now, I am just trying to research the differences between the two years and see what needs modification. From my understanding, the long block should be a direct fit from a mechanical perspective. I discussed with my tuner, and I agree with him that the easiest approach would be to put my 05 engine harness/intake manifold/TGVs onto this motor and everything should drop in place (secondary air setup already deleted).

What I'm curious about though, is whether I can use the 07's top feed fuel rails and injectors instead of the 05's side feed. I see there are some minor differences between the two manifolds regarding the purge/evap system setup/location, perhaps due to the change in rails. Is this something I can use the 05 manifold on the top feed setup? Or could I use the 07 manifold, but run the 05 engine harness with it? Or is the only viable option to use the 05 manifold + rails and pickup an IAG top feed conversion?

Anyone have any thoughts or pointers?

05 manifold with top feeds will run fine, that's how I'm set up. OE top feed rails off of a later LGT with my original 05 manifold.

Remind me, does the 07 have D25 heads? If so, you'll also need to address the differences there. EGR, secondary air pump, etc.

I can double check when I take another look at the motor this weekend, but from my blurry pics it looks like the head castings say D25. I'm not too familiar with the secondary air pump, but I know when the previous owner was running it in his car, the full setup was deleted, so I'm assuming everything is blocked off.

Did you have to make any changes to get your 05 manifold to work? When I had the two manifolds side by side, I saw the 90deg line coming out of the front of the manifold directs to the passenger side on the 05 (purge system mounted on that side) versus the 07 manifold directs to the driver side

Nope, no changes needed. Hoses just route a little differently. The top feed lines still bolt to the underside of the manifold as they should, which is the important part imo.

Excellent, thanks for the confirmation. If you have any pics of the front of the manifold, I'd be curious to see how the routing looks. Guessing the fuel lines/FPR are still compatible?

if the longblock has those useless v27b heads, ship them to me. I'll dispose of them properly

Are those heads not desirable?

K so it's a little hard to grab close-up pictures since Subaru decided to gift us this cluttered mess of a manifold, but hopefully these give you some idea. I have an aftermarket FPR and boost control solenoid, but all the routing should be generally the same for you. Honestly, it's just a matter of getting vacuum hoses where they need to go. Let me know if you want to see anything specific.

IMG_20200329_235945.thumb.jpg.29131286fdc1113b5a8d59e7143f4bcb.jpg

IMG_20200329_235955.thumb.jpg.79edf4d4bafbb4e60d2003feb6065d9e.jpg

IMG_20200329_235939.thumb.jpg.d52ed2a1b58c8fa3f3f0e3ad525341e2.jpg

Thanks for the pics of the manifold. I've got some pics of my two manifolds- here are the bits I'm curious about, since they are dependent on the fuel lines + engine harness. Primarily, it's that the location of this sensor + lines was on the passenger side of the 05 manifold, but driver side for the 07 manifold. The vac/fuel lines can be made to fit, but were there complications with the engine harness for this?

900718932_IMG_28171.thumb.jpg.8769f576aa07ef8e12eecaf0ce8c470e.jpg

IMG_2819.thumb.JPG.61a56e7086f84868e62e24f8aa42325d.JPG

Edit: misremembered. I assumed that that sensor/solenoid you show on the 07 manifold is the evap purge control solenoid, but I don't think it is. I recall capping off the tee on the evap line when swapping over to the top feed setup, because that solenoid wasn't there on the 05. I'll grab a shot to confirm. Edited by awfulwaffle

I didn't take a close look at the underside of the 05 manifold, but it almost looked like it had that same sensor like the 05 did, just on the passenger side instead of driver side? Both manifolds have the vac line coming out, just in opposite directions

Tried but it's near impossible to see in there because I have a 3 port boost control solenoid mounted right in the way. My vacuum routing is a little different too because I have my FPR reference teed off of the manifold in that location. I'll try and get a shot this weekend.

• 1 month later...

Bumping this thread as the parts I was waiting on came in and I've started putting stuff together.

I was comparing the assembly diagrams for the intake manifold + fuel rails of the 05 and 08 setups. From what I can tell:

The 05 sidefeed setup has a single purge control solenoid on the passenger side of the manifold, near the wastegate control solenoid. It takes input from the 90deg line from the front of the manifold, and a rubber fuel line from the evap hard line. The rubber evap line is tee'd with the round purge valve on the passenger side, which is connected to a nipple on the turbo inlet, and runs to the blue tee behind the manifold.

The 08 topfeed setup has two purge control solenoids; one on the driver side near the front of the manifold, and one on the passenger side where the 05's is. The driver side solenoid takes input from the 90deg line from the front of the manifold and a tee in the evap hardline. The passenger side solenoid takes input from the evap hardline and a direct connection from the turbo inlet.

So, to mount the 05 manifold on the topfeed rails, it seems like the only adjustments should be to cap off the tee in the hardline to where the driver side solenoid would be, and potentially run a different length rubber line to connect the rest of the evap hardline to the passenger side solenoid?

Also noticed that the FPR setup seems to be different between the two. Guessing the top feed FPR should be run here?

Been doing some reading, a lot of good information from awfulwaffle and Tehnation on their conversions (here, here, and here).

What it looks like is the 05 sidefeed setup has the FPR mounted on the driver side of the engine bay, whereas the 07 topfeed setup I have has the FPR mounted inline near the top of the rails, where the fuel lines from the engine bay connect. Looks as though it has a bypass built in, so it recirculates with the delivery line.

My current plan is to modify the evap line in the top feed rails to delete the tee for the unnecessary purge solenoid, and use the 05's single purge solenoid + valve setup. Currently planning to remove the whole section of hardline that contains the tee, and replace it and the rubber lines on both sides with a single low-pressure rubber fuel line. This would allow me to use the 07's fuel line inputs with inline FPR without having to hack up the rest of the rails. See pic below for reference (courtesy of m sprank):

attachment.php?attachmentid=86497&d=1277220998

I've also got the delivery and return lines in the engine bay to go with these rails, so I can delete my 05's setup with its FPR. Evap line in the engine bay seems to be reusable.

Hopefully will complete this mod and have the manifold mounted to the motor this weekend