LegacyGT.com

Brake Recommendations...Decisions

Ok, I've tried to search the site and got a few good leads, but would like to get your thoughts before I pull the trigger on this one.

I have 40K on my 2012 2.5i Legacy. It is my commuter car, I don't need anything fancy, but always look to do it right when I do any work on the car. At this point I'm figuring I may give the calibers a paint when I get them off, just cause I like the look and why not as I have never done this before. Then to tackle the breaks.

Looking at full rotor and pad replacement and have 2 options. From the site it looks like HPS pads are the most common along with Centric premium rotors.

Priced HPS/Centric - AutoAnything.com - $365

Other option I found was PowerStopBrakeKit - Full 4 rotors and Pads

http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com/Brakes/Power-Stop-Brake-Kit

Open to other options, but not replacing the calibers or anything too crazy. Watching budget, but more focused on doing it right and making sure the pads will last.

Finally, any good write-ups or videos on the change. I've done a brake job before on an 1987 Jetta, but it has been a while and obviously not on a newer auto.

Thanks everyone!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would stay away from the PowerStop kit. You'll be much happier spending a few extra dollars on DBA or Centric Rotors and some good street pads like Carbotech Bobcats (1521) or Carbotech Panthers (AX6). The Carbotechs will dust a lot less than Hawk pads.

Try KNSbrakes.com. A lot of the guys here on the forum including myself use them. Good prices and fantastic customer service, and they know Subaru's.

Consider also trying to pick up a set of GT/3.6R rotors and calipers. They are bigger than your stock ones, will bolt right up, and will haul your 3300lb 2.5i down from speed better with less brake fade. You may be able to find someone here on the forum that upgraded their GT or 3.6R to Brembos and has a set of low mileage stockers sitting around. I just upgraded my rears to Brembos and not sure that I want to sell my stock calipers yet, but probably will.

Just curious: why stay away from PowerStop?

Personal preference, plus I don't like that they sell the rotors and pads as a "kit". I prefer sticking with the highest quality possible like DBA for rotors. I have had too many problems in the past with cheap rotors on other cars. A few more dollars on higher quality parts will save time, expense and frustration in the future.

That was my tendency to stay away from them, seemed sort of cheap compared to what I saw. DBAs are a bit pricey for me on rotors for the way I drive and what I drive, but appreciate the insight.

Thanks for the KNS recommendation too.

Do you know the Carbotech's dust less from experience?

At this point, anything is an improvement for me over the dusty stock ones.

minuccims has used Bobcats and really likes them. Got to the Carbotech website, CTbrakes.com, to read about their compounds. This is what I am going to switch to for DD duty when the time comes.

Look at the KNS 4K rotors, they are made by DBA specifically for KNS and are an entry level rotor. EDIT, nevermind, they only do those for the Brembos. Centric would likely be your next best bet.

I went with centric premium rotors and Napa adaptive one pads. I have used them on my car and two others I own and like them. They have worked out well to date and were priced well. I also got the rotors through auto anything. The adaptive one pads include all new clips and shims designed for those pads. Napa also sells a hi temp brake lube for greasing the clips.

I would recommend washing the new rotors with soap and water and then using brake cleaner during the install.

The Carbotech Bobcats remain the favorite pads to improve everyday braking performance. Low dust

Couple those with Centric Premium rotors and you've transformed your braking system. As an option for further improvement, add some stainless steel brake lines.

The Carbotechs may be a little pricey. For an everyday pad low cost pad that exceeds OEM performance with a little more dust try the Wagner ThermoQuiet pads. Really liked these over OEM.

As for the suggestion to get LGT/3.6R calipers, I put the LGT fronts (OEM pads) on my 2.5i Outback. I was tires of the mushy brakes. The difference is substantial.

LGT rears are kicking around in the basement...

I first tried EBC pads when I did my brakes. They are still my top choice for motorcycle pads, but for the legacy they didn't work out very well. Way too much dust. I then replaced them with hawk pads, centric rotors and stainless steel lines and even though they aren't brembos I'm happy.

Carbotech makes great stuff but price wise for a regular 2.5 that isn't going to see any motorsports related activity they are overkill.

For a cost effective replacement brake setup I would take a look at what Rock Auto Parts has under the daily driver or high performance categories. If the main goal is installing pads that dust as little as possible than ceramic is your best bet.

Hawk HPS pads are great despite being on the OEM rotors. Great bite on them with not a lot of dusting. There has been some noise from time to time. Its not very frequent but that is to be expected with a performance pad.

Just to buck the trend: I've used Centric Rotors along with EBC Redstuff and had good results from that combo before. I haven't tried it on my Legacy before, but it's been on my mom's mini. They stop pretty well, but they're a bit dusty... Not the worst on dust, but a bit dusty.

I had some Centric Premium rotors and StopTech pads on my 2002 WRX and I loved they way they felt for daily driver duties. After the initial bedding I could feather the brakes to get the car to stop slowing down. Great initial bite and good temperature handling when you want to have some fun. I'd place them as a DD pad that won't disintegrate when on a track.

KNS Brakes, Centric Premium Rotors, Stoptech Street Performance Brake Pads.

A very nice pad upgrade from stock, and it's low dusting too.

http://www.knsbrakes.com/c/car-series/1380_2012+Subaru+Legacy+Sedan+-+2.5i/199_Centric+Premium+Brake+Rotors+and+StopTech+Street+Performance+Brake+Pads

When you change the pads and rotors, remove all the factory grease from your slider pins and anywhere else you see it, and replace with this:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-24125-Ceramic-Extreme-Lubricant/dp/B0018PSASU]Amazon.com: Permatex 24125 Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant, 8 oz.: Automotive[/ame]

I would stay away from the PowerStop kit. You'll be much happier spending a few extra dollars on DBA or Centric Rotors and some good street pads like Carbotech Bobcats (1521) or Carbotech Panthers (AX6). The Carbotechs will dust a lot less than Hawk pads.

Try KNSbrakes.com. A lot of the guys here on the forum including myself use them. Good prices and fantastic customer service, and they know Subaru's.

Consider also trying to pick up a set of GT/3.6R rotors and calipers. They are bigger than your stock ones, will bolt right up, and will haul your 3300lb 2.5i down from speed better with less brake fade. You may be able to find someone here on the forum that upgraded their GT or 3.6R to Brembos and has a set of low mileage stockers sitting around. I just upgraded my rears to Brembos and not sure that I want to sell my stock calipers yet, but probably will.

I have stock 3.6 rotors and pads from Fredrik if your local you can have them for free. If you wanna pay for shipping that will work too.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

If I still had my 2.5i, I would upgrade to the LGT or 3.6r setup as a first step.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

• 2 weeks later...

Appreciate all the inputs. Since it is pretty much my daily driver, no racing, and about 20K miles per year, I'm good with just some basic upgrades.

Based on all the input I'm going Centric Premium rotors and Stop Tech pads or CarboTechs, leaning towards the carbotechs.

Also getting the lubricant recommended, THANK YOU, would not have thought to do that.

Archived