LegacyGT.com

Clunking on passenger side rear only on really bumpy road

rice_rocket

Hi there, just had this clunk start up that's driving me insane.

So I live in a really bumpy street, and it clunks a lot when I get home. Highway, turns, even pothole bumps I don't hear it.

The sound to me was my rear sway bar end link, as it has happened before. Lucky me, I have a spare one in the trunk and I replaced it.

No dice, it did not dissappear. I went under the car today and bench pressed/rattled and shook the rear bar, trunk etc and couldn't find anything loose. I thought the next thing would be a loose bushing or mount on the sway bar itself. I got a tiny noise out of it, but I would expect "some" noise/movement on the rear bar itself. I couldn't visually see it move, just a faint clunk.

Any other ideas what to look for? No heat shields or loose mufflers here, it is definitely a clunk/rattle in the rear right as I got a passenger to confirm for me.

Just.. bothering me I can't pinpoint the new noise...

I needed 22mm for my RSB... I considered Whiteline, but wound up finding some Energy Suspension ones locally, which worked fine and included a new mounting bracket, etc. Hard to believe, but I actually got them from Autozone for ~20 bucks. Seems like a decent product. The rubber bushings that they replaced were in pretty rough shape, so it was $20 well spent. Hope it fixes your clunk too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
It sure would be nice to get a real answer on this issue. This is an issue that I have been trying to deal with as well with my 05 gt. There are quite a few seemingly endless threads on the clunk issue. I have read everything from its normal, deal with it to failing strut bearings. If bushings fix it then good for you, but please for the love of flat 4s someone post a conclusion and make it a sticky!

I needed 22mm for my RSB... I considered Whiteline, but wound up finding some Energy Suspension ones locally, which worked fine and included a new mounting bracket, etc. Hard to believe, but I actually got them from Autozone for ~20 bucks. Seems like a decent product. The rubber bushings that they replaced were in pretty rough shape, so it was $20 well spent. Hope it fixes your clunk too.

Did the same thing for my Perrin 22 mm RSB. No more clunking sound. I now love going over crappy roads. ;)

Your bushings probably need to be replaced. Make sure you get the correct size. Ask me how I know.

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

• 3 weeks later...

Archived