LegacyGT.com

Is this clicking noise normal? video

The clicking seams really loud almost like its a valve or something.

Any Ideas? I know these cars have piston slap (this is my third Subaru) but it doesn't sound like just piston slap, it does it on the hwy too at revs.

Sounds normal, maybe a bit loud but got to be there in person to say.

I can swing by and we can compare the 2 side by side if you want.

Let me know as I only live like 10-15 mins away

No car expert either but

• I Donated
possibly a faulty snogwheel

Not likely. Those don't tend to fail in the colder states. Only in Florida are they known to fail. Has something to do with the humidity and heat.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Oh dear, another clicking/ticking thread. Has anyone came up w/ a legit answer? Everytime I get on a thread like this, it's always "ahh yea that's normal, maybe injectors or lifters or something." ...& then it ends like that. No one ever can pinpoint it. But yeah, it's always comin' from the injectors eh'

OP, mine does that as well. It's HORRIBLE when the temp starts dropping. My S/O calls it my street tractor LOL

• 4 months later...

ANy update on this? My 09 XT Wagon sounds like this with only 20k and its been getting worse. Its running larger injectors and when it is in fast idle mode (when cold) you can always tell they arent the original injectors.

Car seems to run OK. Blackstone Labs test came back with elevated levels of copper and silver. (26 and 5 respectively).

Any thoughts?

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Did anyone ever come up with a diagnoses? I noticed that in some of these videos they were filming from the drivers side and showing the ticking. I ask because I'm having a similar noise coming from my drivers side only. I noticed when the engine is cold and just started I wouldn't have that noise. Then once it would start to warm up and the rpms drop the ticking noise starts. I took it for a short drive and noticing the ticking subsided greatly. At times it seemed that I couldn't hear it at all. So I'm wondering if this truly is normal or if it's a sign of a problem.

Oh...and FYI, I'm now driving a 2013 outback....in case that matters.

Archived