LegacyGT.com

Coolant additive

Why does my 2005 owners manual state alway add subaru coolant additive when changing coolant. I know the were using stop leak in 1999 and 2000 but I thought that head gasket problem was cured. Any body know what the current subaru coolant additive is all about???

so those who say it is stopleak are wrong?

How do we really know?

How long have the been recommending coolant additive and is it the same part number as used in the 99-02 models with head gasket problems. If it is,

how do you condition headgaskets other than stop leak?

so those who say it is stopleak are wrong?

How do we really know?

How long have the been recommending coolant additive and is it the same part number as used in the 99-02 models with head gasket problems. If it is,

how do you condition headgaskets other than stop leak?

1) Have you been reading the above posts?

2) Stopleak is an extreme "conditioner" that does more damage than good in the long-run.

3) In Subaru we trust, if they say to use the Subaru conditioner, then you do it without question, unless you are an engineer. ;)

- "I've worked with better, but not many."

• 1 year later...

I opened up a bottle of the subaru coolant conditioner today, thought it looked funky and lumpy, but added it anyway to a gallon of 50/50 coolant, mixed it well, and poured it through a filter funnel into my radiator. The filter trapped a lot of brown, slightly gritty stuff and several white gelatinous pieces.

This is my 1st time using the conditioner. Is it supposed to be full of all this junk? What is the normal appearance of this stuff supposed to be?

If the level in your overflow tank is blow the LOW indicator line when the system is cool then you need to add some. I found mine to be low a few weeks ago. There wasn't any obvious signs of leaking but when I swaped out the OEM radiator hoses for Samco ones I noticed that there was residue at the top hose connection to the radiator indicating that there had be some minor leakage when hot and pressurized.

I opened up a bottle of the subaru coolant conditioner today, thought it looked funky and lumpy, but added it anyway to a gallon of 50/50 coolant, mixed it well, and poured it through a filter funnel into my radiator. The filter trapped a lot of brown, slightly gritty stuff and several white gelatinous pieces.

This is my 1st time using the conditioner. Is it supposed to be full of all this junk? What is the normal appearance of this stuff supposed to be?

I drained & filled last week and my bottle of Subaru conditioner was chunky style too.

I drained & filled last week and my bottle of Subaru conditioner was chunky style too.

same here just throw it all in the pump will munch it up :lol: Opie is correct it's not a stop leak it's a conditioner, cheap insurance. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

The stuff looks and feels like it could munch the water pump seal.:eek:

Subaru knows what you need stop fighting it :lol: btw did you shake it up b4 you poured it in? bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Subaru knows what you need stop fighting it :lol: btw did you shake it up b4 you poured it in? bosco

I shook it up good, Elvis style, and it still came out looking like stale Ovaltine with bits of old caulking in it. :eek::lol:

I wonder if Porsche uses conditioner in their flat-six motors.

+1 Just did mine last weekend too - looked like a mix of sand, oatmeal & some misc crusties...I just dumped the whole thing in the radiator & crossed my fingers that Subaru knows what they're doing...
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

+1 Just did mine last weekend too - looked like a mix of sand, oatmeal & some misc crusties...I just dumped the whole thing in the radiator & crossed my fingers that Subaru knows what they're doing...

If Subaru knew what they were doing, brand-new cars wouldn't need any antifreeze conditioner at all! :spin:

I would recommend against the water wetter stuff. I am unsure of what is in the specific Redline stuff. What it does is modify the surface tension of the water molecules. Rual fire department use similar stuff and dish soap will also break-down the tension to an extent. The water forms smaller droplets so there is more surface area of the water to "work".

Not sure how this would really help in a rad since the system is presurized. The water never really separates. Plus there are already so many chemicals between the coolant and additive who knows if there are all compatable?

Peace,

Greg

Archived