LegacyGT.com

Dash cam install

Looking into installing a dash cam, most likely a Thinkware. Anyone install on an '18? Initial concern is placement for the dash cam because of ES and rearview mirror sensor/camera. Thoughts?

There used to be an area around the rearview mirror where folks used mounted their dash cameras and ez-pass to. (it is the area in between the red trapezoids in the picture below) but you cannot mount there anymore because of the high bean sensor in the newer models. Now anything being mounted to the windshield needs to be outside of the grey areas as noted on the owner manual.

IMG_1326.thumb.jpg.bfd3a8eb5bf251012f726ab45702f1b4.jpg

787203650_ScreenShot2017-12-30at11_15_45AM.thumb.png.953e47879873fe67aa624a312fcccd10.png

I have mine installed off-center on the drivers side and I don't notice much of a loss in field of view. I've posted pics on one of the install threads if you want to search for it. I have the thinkware 750. just keep in mind that all the wires come out on the right side of the unit, so if you do install it on the passenger side, you'll need to run the cables over to the drivers side for power from across ES or from the other side and through the dash. I wasn't comfortable having cables going across the trim in front of the ES cameras (though folks the pulled that trim out say there is plenty of room), so I chose to leave it on the driver's side.

There used to be an area around the rearview mirror where folks used mounted their dash cameras and ez-pass to. (it is the area in between the red trapezoids in the picture below) but you cannot mount there anymore because of the high bean sensor in the newer models. Now anything being mounted to the windshield needs to be outside of the grey areas as noted on the owner manual.

Ah, that explains why I didnt see the section for mounting in the older open area when reviewing. I was trying to figure if my tollway ez-pass was going to interfere placed under the rearview mirror and the salesguys at dealership said they had no problem, but they drove an older model.

... but you cannot mount there anymore because of the high bean sensor in the newer models. Now anything being mounted to the windshield needs to be outside of the grey areas as noted on the owner manual.

Because of this it can be mounted on the driver’s side of the windscreen beside the A pillar, but needs to have a wedge made to fit between the camera & the windscreen to correct the slight sideways angle of the camera due to the curve of the windscreen.

This works fine on the RHD cars, but on the LHD cars make sure the micro SD card can be easily removed. If fitted in a similar location on the passenger side, the windscreen won’t be cleaned by the windscreen wipers when it is raining.

This isn’t as good as being in the middle of the windscreen but we don’t have many options.

I'm assuming all of these prohibitions are because of EyeSight but since my '17 does not have ES I can mount the camera near the rear view mirror. I'm not sure if I have the high beam control but I'm thinking as long as the front of the mirror is not obstructed there should be no problem.

just a note on installation

you can hard wire it:

buy a hard wire kit and do it

a. switched power - locate a empty fuse slot that is switched on with ignition and tap that

b. constant power - locate a empty fuse slot that is hot all the time and tap that - this option *may kill your battery if the car sits for more than a day or two. it will also MURDER your SD Card in short order as it is writing to it 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days a year. 1080p footage will over write a 64GB card every 2-3 days

if you want to use the power port in the center console - there is more than enough room to slide the wire up into headliner and then down the driver side a pillar without taking anything apart. next run wire between door gasket and dash and then under the knee bolster over to the center console. I tucked mine into the plastic that covers the top edge of the carpet and put the 12V adapter in the port under the arm rest. going on 2 years and no issues.

no exposed wires to be seen

Archived