LegacyGT.com

Not exactly sure what part I have(know it is for Subaru)

When I bought this 2002 Subaru Outback the guy said differential would need changed so he thru in suppose to of been the differential but someone told me looks like a transmission. Hoping someone could tell me for sure what it is.

Number on it is TZ1A4ZCCBA LL

:spin:

Subarus have three differentials. Two of them are in the transmission (center and front) and the third is in the rear-end housing. The trim level of the car usually infers the type of differential (limited slip vs open). I don't know a ton about Legacys before 4th gen, but if I had to guess, I would assume that the front and rear are open diffs and the center is some type of limited slip. Pics?

Edit: fyi ... if you google that number, you get a lot of hits that say transmission.

It's not hard to post photos, but can you post a photo anywhere on the internet and link to it?

p.s. On LGT.com, click Go Advanced when making a reply and scroll down to the Manage Attachments button and add it to a post as an attachment.

It is a little bizarre to me that he told you that he would give you a differential and he gave you a whole transmission, but that is indeed the whole thing. The problem is that you don't know what condition it's in. He may have given it to you knowing there was a broken part in the tranny, but knew the diffs were good. At this point, I would take your car to a Subaru-knowledgeable shop and tell them you were told a differential is bad, but you don't know which one.

Once you know what needs replaced, you can take the transmission to a transmission shop and ask them to evaluate that transmission for you. If they say the whole unit is good, you may want to try and sell the whole thing as a unit and go out and buy whatever differential you need.

If the transmission is partially trashed, but the diff you need is good, ask 'em to cannibalize it for you and then put it in your car and toss the rest of that tranny to the scrap pile.

Or whatever variation on that story works best for you.

Edit: or maybe even that whole unit is better than the one you've got in the car. Point being: it may be time to call in the professionals to help you evaluate your options and make a choice. It'll cost some bucks to figure it out, but I'll bet the condition of these parts as determined by a professional will lend itself to an answer on what direction you should go with this stuff. Hassle? Yes. That's part of the price you pay for buying a car of that age. Nothing wrong with that choice, but old cars just need more love in general.

Good luck!

Archived