LegacyGT.com

Washington emissions question.

ajlabish

Hey everyone I'm calling out to those who've done turbo swaps or JDM swaps on their leggies and are running a matching ECU. I've been contemplating turboing my 3rd gen but I'm a little hesitant because of emisions and how that will play out. So my question to you is how does your car do with emissions? Or there any special thing you have to do to ensure you pass or does a solid tune take care of it? Thanks for the help a head of time.

• 4 months later...
JDM ecu won't be OBDII compliant no matter how it's tuned/check engine light off or not.

Are they plugging into the diagnostic link during the emissions test now?

I live outside the testing area, so I am not required to submit to the Guvmint rectal probe. And since it has been nearly 10 years since my state fleet emissions tester certification has expired, I'm out of the loop on the periodic intrusion into people's automotive existence.

The ECU in your car needs to match the VIN or they will auto fail you. If you have no CEL and all your rediness monitors are working you will pass (as long as the ECU matches). My heavily modified car passed with no issues.

WA Emissions testing is a huge joke. Firstly you have those idiots working at those stations - they probably don't have any functional brain cells left after inhaling all that exhaust all day long, day in day out! And then if you fail, just go to any mechanic and pay $150 and you get certified that you have attempted to fix it to get a Pass.

When I had my 2003 Golf TDI in for testing, a lady in a Camry pulled up way too close behind. The tester got on the diesel pedal and gave it some revs, and out came a big plume of black smoke engulfing the Camry. I had a good laugh. And that was a Pass! No issues whatsoever. If I still have that TDI, I'd be rolling coal all day long!!!

I have enough drama for now.....

Archived