LegacyGT.com

Done lurking, finally joined

I've been browsing these forums since I got my car a few weeks ago, and have been impressed with the activity and helpfulness.

A short introduction:

I am from Pittsburgh, PA but go to school in Rochester, NY. Always do my own maintenance, the only time my previous car went to the dealer over the 2.5 years I owned it was when I bought it. My previous (and first) car was a 2008 Volvo S80 T6. Fantastic car, even better with modest lowering springs and exhaust. Loved everything about it, except for the gas mileage, weight, and the lack of a manual transmission. Hence the move to Subaru...

My car:

2011 Legacy GT

Crystal Black Silica

All options (that I'm aware of)

Currently at 47k miles

Bought it from a Honda dealer just outside of Rochester mid April.

The real reason I'm here:

I really like the car so far. Not perfect, but it definitely can be with a few...mods. Most of these have come directly from this forum, so thanks!

What I've already done:

'15 wrx 20mm RSB

Perrin Short Shift Adapter, Shift bushing, and Shift stop

Cupholder/Cubby lighting (Got cheap bulbs from amazon, already dead)

Painted Calipers (Red of course)

To be done this summer:

Trans fluid (Sounds like motul 300 and redline?)

Spark Plugs

Functional Mud flaps

To be done as soon as I come across some money:

BC Racing coilovers

Better wheels

More comfortable seats

If anyone has suggestions on what to do for the above or anything I'm missing, feel free to enlighten me!

I considered a tune, but I need this car to last me indefinitely and I don't have the spare cash to fix it if something goes wrong... And I know if I have a tune, I won't be gentle on it

Welcome! And congrats! This is a great community so you came to the right place.

I thought that after I got mine tuned I would want to beat on it all the time. I didn't. I drive it like a normal car and a couple times a week when I want a thrill I get into boost a couple times and my day gets noticeably brighter.

And actually, a custom Stage1 tune, as FLlegacy mentioned, is actually going to help longevity of the motor. The stock tune tends to burn valves on these cars by 60 or 70k miles, so getting off of it, and getting your AFRs where they should be, in a safer zone, is a win-win.

Interesting... never thought of a tune that way before. Definitely custom vs off the shelf? I forgot to put it on there but eventually I'll be doing something exhaust related, so it'll probably wait until after that, but I like to do my research nonetheless.

Thanks for all the welcomes!

Yep, you can do the damper delete for under $40. Far less than that if you can find one of those couplers from a 6MT 2.5i Leggy or Outback at a junk yard.

OTS Stage1 tune will at least be safer than stock and then you can eventually get it custom tuned for a little more power and safety.

Welcome. Being that the car seems fairly stock, engine wise, a tuner will determine if the car has been tuned before or not. This will give you a piece of mind knowing that a tuner has looked over all the parameters and make any needed adjustments to make it last longer. We all know that the stock tune is not the greatest on these cars.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Welcome to the Forum. I can not wait to see some pics. You will find lots of help here. Just don't let you car end up like mine. Unless of course you like looking at it on jack stands.:lol:

You and S2 should get together and admire your cars in their garages... ;)

I think one of the best things to do is wander around to find build lists. You can find common mods and which are "better". I too voice the protune. Get yourself an Accessport - if not for simple code reading and what not - and get a tune. There are a few on here that will do etunes as well. We enjoy helping others spend their money too so be careful. Welcome to the forum!

What school in Rochester? I start at RIT this coming fall and have an 05 GT sedan.

I am going into my third year at RIT. Let me know if you need a tour guide :lol:

It was on jack stands all weekend while I did the calipers, so I think I'm good in that department... (insert comment about lack of jacking points for a floor jack)

I should add that the previous owner was an older gentleman, so it is bone stock and hasn't been beat on very much. I have noticed the floating engagement point on the clutch, so I'll probably do the delete when I get back from Canada in a week and half.

Any recommendations on tunes or are all stage1's similar enough for the time being? And is there any benefit to the accessport over something like a tactrix usb connection? I have a bluetooth thing for reading codes and displaying engine data on my phone already.

Apparently I can't post pictures, best I can do for now:

https://goo.gl/photos/mgh5eXN5oJLsxvnE9

I am new to my 10' Legacy GT, I bought mine from a member on here Coley a few weeks ago. I have yet to really drive it much, for the 1st time in my life had to have someone else change the oil as the car is in So Cal at my parents ( no tools ) My plan is to keep the Legacy down there to play with and my Ecoboost Mustang up here in Nor Cal to play with. I have a new set of tires waiting to get installed and it needs an alignment. I need to adjust the reverse lockout on the shifter, the collar moves up when you change gears. I will also do a tune soon, didnt think about the factory tune running lean as people mentioned ( Thanks ). Mine has good pistons in it, so the tuner can be more aggressive, but its up in the air on what I wanna do as far as that, the car seems pretty fast even on the stock tune, I need to not make this into a race car. I do really like the car, gave it a good wash and vacuum and will be down there this weekend to put my new Legacy emblem on the trunk and a new clutch pedal pad ( such big things LOL )

I need to adjust the reverse lockout on the shifter, the collar moves up when you change gears.

Depending on the actual specifics of this behavior, you might have a Perrin shiftstop installed (http://perrinperformance.com/i-19229535-shifter-stop-for-2015-17-wrx.html) which might need to be re-adjusted. Also, if I recall, there was an older version of this part where the reverse lockout sliding up was a common complaint. I'm not really sure, seeing as I don't have this part myself and I'm going off of memory of previous threads, but it's worth at least checking into.

Archived