LegacyGT.com

Removing Mufflers?

08obxt

I was looking at the Nameless Muffler deletes but got to thinking I could just cut the pipes at the muffler and weld a small piece of pipe with a turn down on it. Anyone done this or see a downside to doing this? Btw I am new to subie and turbo cars.

I put the stock mufflers back on my 09. The catted DP, 3" mid pipe, to the mufflers that came with the $300 kit were to loud. With the oem mufflers its nice, a little rasppy but not at all like rice.

Prior to that, it had stock exhaust without mufflers for a few years.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I made my own muffler deletes, and it was definitely loud. I ended up getting sick of it after a few months, and bought a Borla cat-back. I love it. Plenty of rumble, nice deep tone, relatively quiet for crusing, but opens up nicely at WOT.

• 1 month later...

i did a muffler delete on my midpipe and am considering putting it back on due to drone on the highway. I wonder if i put a resonator back on instead of the muffler it will do the trick?

Edit: the main reason i did the muffler delete in the first place was because my car is lowered on coilovers and the midpipe muffler was the main thing that would rub, i didnt plan on it really being as loud as it is haha

i did a muffler delete on my midpipe and am considering putting it back on due to drone on the highway. I wonder if i put a resonator back on instead of the muffler it will do the trick?

Edit: the main reason i did the muffler delete in the first place was because my car is lowered on coilovers and the midpipe muffler was the main thing that would rub, i didnt plan on it really being as loud as it is haha

How lowered are you? My wagon never touched anything and the tires are inside the wheel wells

just got the tires tucked w/ rolled fenders, i have to deal with a lot of speed bumps in my area though.

you think a resonator would do any good in the midpipe location?

IDK, removing mufflers and adding a resonator (muffler) in the mid-pipe seem to be at cross-purposes? From other posts, the resonator can have an impact on the sound, however, everyone has a different experience.

I dropped my 05 LGT mufflers once and went around for a drive. It was fun as hell. The car was super loud and sent pulsating waves like an angry muscle cars. Drivers and pedestrians were turning their heads and expecting to spot a classic American speedster, only to be bewildered to see a regular looking sedan. It got everyone's attention everywhere I went.

Boxer rumble in its full, unmitigated glory.

Punching the car, that loud V8-like noise turned into a whoosh and all sorts of turbo noises.

Zero power gains since the mufflers are not restrictors on the stock turbo.

After I had my fun for half a day, I pulled back in the garage and hooked the mufflers up, with mixed feelings. If I had to choose, I think I would hook up 2 electronic cutoffs where each muffler mates to the Y-pipe.

Impractical and expensive but the point I am trying to make is I couldn't drive the car that noisy everywhere.

I'd recommend to anyone to drop their mufflers at least once to experience the difference and make up their own mind and have a reference point.

On my OBXT I had a shop cut off the mufflers and weld in some straight pipes. They are slightly larger diameter than the stock piping. Its not overly loud I dont think. Definitely louder than stock though.

Like someone else said here, my wife doesnt mind it that loud, its actually her daily driver now. She likes it better than when the mufflers where there.

When cruising its not bad at all. If you get on the throttle it gets a lot louder. Sounds very good in a tunnel at WOT.

On my OBXT I had a shop cut off the mufflers and weld in some straight pipes. They are slightly larger diameter than the stock piping. Its not overly loud I dont think. Definitely louder than stock though.

Like someone else said here, my wife doesnt mind it that loud, its actually her daily driver now. She likes it better than when the mufflers where there.

When cruising its not bad at all. If you get on the throttle it gets a lot louder. Sounds very good in a tunnel at WOT.

This was my plan before HG exploded. And still my plan after fixing HG. Although, I'm thinking a megaphone tip so I can have a max obnoxious effect

IDK, removing mufflers and adding a resonator (muffler) in the mid-pipe seem to be at cross-purposes? From other posts, the resonator can have an impact on the sound, however, everyone has a different experience.

what do you mean by cross-purposes? my idea is that a resonator has a slightly smaller diameter than the muffler, so it would probably rub less. Also, my little knowledge about this topic tells me that resonators reduce vibration, which is my main goal so that I have less drone on the highway and reduce the vibration inside the cab. At lower RPMs i dont really think its too loud, my main issue is the highway.

what do you mean by cross-purposes? my idea is that a resonator has a slightly smaller diameter than the muffler, so it would probably rub less. Also, my little knowledge about this topic tells me that resonators reduce vibration, which is my main goal so that I have less drone on the highway and reduce the vibration inside the cab. At lower RPMs i dont really think its too loud, my main issue is the highway.

The reason there are so many muffler shops is because every one has a different idea of "too loud".

However, in answer to your question, if you are removing the mufflers and adding a resonator because drone on freeway, I'd put mufflers back on or find a set of mufflers that have less drone. Not remove the mufflers then add a resonator, which seeks to remove/enhance a particular level of sound.

Archived