LegacyGT.com

Takata Airbags

Based on the updated list of potentially affected vehicles posted regarding the Takata airbags:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/About+NHTSA/Press+Releases/Vehicle-owners-with-defective-airbags-urged-to-take-immediate-action

2003 – 2005 Baja

2003 – 2005 Legacy

2003 – 2005 Outback

2004 – 2005 Impreza

Anyone know if Subaru is going to limit the recall to only the southern states or if they'll bring them all in? It's just a little disconcerting to think that just because I'm in NJ that I have an airbag that's potentially an area of concern.

Faaak.......did you see that chick who got the schrapnel (sic) in her eye from the Honda bag? I wonder if I can gut my air bag without ruining the cover?

I'm all for air bags and safety but what if I forget to close my sunroof and it pours all over the wheel? Isn't that worse than high humidity?

Oh no, I meant to put this in the general forum but in my haste to post I must have chose the wrong one. If a mod sees this, can they move it for me?

But yeah, hopefully Subaru takes in all the affected vehicles and not just ones in the suggested regions.

Sad that my LGT is on the new list :(

Probably should just drive my WRX until it gets sorted out.

Did the Subaru website tell you that your LGT is on the list, or are you just going by "certain models of 2003-2005 legacy"?

When I put in my VIN on the subaru website, it said there were no recalls for my car. I have an '05 LGT. I do have a later '05 (sometimes called 05.5 5EAT). Wonder if that makes a difference.

Did the Subaru website tell you that your LGT is on the list, or are you just going by "certain models of 2003-2005 legacy"?

When I put in my VIN on the subaru website, it said there were no recalls for my car. I have an '05 LGT. I do have a later '05 (sometimes called 05.5 5EAT). Wonder if that makes a difference.

I think that limiting it to their interpretation of high humidity climates is stupid. I don't live in a "high humidity" climate by their definition, but I do live in one the wettest places in the US. How does this not qualify?

It sounds like high humidity cars are urged to take action sooner then low humidity ones. I think everyone effected will be covered.

@GTTuner you could remove the airbag from steering wheel and it should show manufacture on the back of it. You can also buy an airbag delete cover.

Finally if your car is an issue one, it might be safer to pull the airbag fuse until you get it fixed.

I have an early one 08/2004, and it's not listed under this recall as per Subaru site, but I will check again as the recall progresses.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

I called the local dealer about my 05 outback and they said it wasn't covered.

I haven't read through the recal notice fully yet, but limiting to certain regions is ridiculous. What if you bought your car in Texas and moved to Vermont? Or bought a car from a different state?

I got an email back from Subaru Canada stating that my car is not included in the airbag recall.

However the recall number they provided me was for the original wave of recalls, and since this was an NHTSA recommendation that only came out yesterday I wonder if all the relevant manufacturer's databases have been updated yet.

Also, the location limitation seems odd to me too. The PNW area is pretty soggy and damp.

I have a 2005 Legacy GT built 06/2004. The VIN shows no recall on Subaru's site. I also called the local dealership and they said the same thing (I assume they checked the same way I did online...). The car has been registered in the states of Washington and Arizona, I believe.

I presume that my car is not under the recall because it has not been registered in Florida, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands. From a pdf I found (14V-471/GR14-054/WQM-49):

Subaru has not made a determination that a safety defect exists in these vehicles and in fact is not aware of any incidents involving ruptured inflators on the models that will be affected by this parts collection campaign. Nevertheless, we have elected to initiate this campaign in a good faith effort to cooperate with NHTSA and in support of the Supplier’s (TK Holdings, Inc./Takata) ongoing investigation of the risk of failure of the passenger airbag inflators installed on the vehicles listed above that are currently or have ever been registered in Florida, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. The Subaru reference number for this regional parts collection campaign is WQM-49.

I'm worried that my car might have the defective airbag model but is not covered due to registered region(s). Hopefully Subaru will announce whether this "parts collection campaign" finds a safety defect (and recall as applicable).

Subaru Canada is pretty adamant that this does not affect Canadian models.

I asked for further clarification, stating that my 05 Outback was made in the same plant as the affected 05 US models, and they still said that my car wasn't on the list.

You'll understand that just because the news say's there's a recall, that doesn't mean the dealers have the offical notice from Subaru yet. It could take weeks.

Just look at the brake line recall's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You'll understand that just because the news say's there's a recall, that doesn't mean the dealers have the offical notice from Subaru yet. It could take weeks.

Just look at the brake line recall's.

Exactly! This is why I'm going to check my vin again a few times over the next months...

On a side note, I just took apart a 2003 Nissan Sentra, which is part of the Takata bag recall. I couldn't find a single marking of the company name on the back :(. Kind of worried now that it might not be so easy to see who manufactured each bag.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Archived