LegacyGT.com

Run winter & summer sets or HPAS

JJr

Hey Guys I just picked up some 2013 WRX wheels 17x8 my plan was to run these with 235/45/17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport AS or keep my OEM's with 215/45/17's DWS's for winter and run the WRX wheels with ? tires for spring,summer and fall. We don't get a ton of snow here but we do get enough to warrant a AS. It's my DD, I'm not a super aggressive driver (well sometimes) no track/Autox. I guess I'm asking for some expert opinion on 8" vs 7" in the snow and will there be a huge difference. Not storing the extra set and having to change them is a plus for me. After reading the stickies I know what SBT will say :lol:.

Thx in advance!

MPS AS+es are my go-to tire. May try the MPS AS3es when this present set is done.

225/40 is what I run on 18x8 wheels, and they've been through some heavy, deep mountain snow in SoCal. They got me around without issue, and were confidence inspiring, especially when everyone else was pulled-over to, or gone-over, the edge and unable to move.

215/45 would be my winter tire size if running two sets, otherwise, go with an excellent 225/40 AS on your WRX wheels and call it a day. Just get your alignment specs squared-away as soon as practical after the tire mounting for best handling and tire longevity.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I've used summer tires on the stock 18's and various winter tires on a set of aftermarket 17's since I bought my Spec B.

This last set, I bought the new Kumho 4x UHPAS to give them try and left them on all winter. They got me through fine but definitely not as good as the dedicate winter tires (currently a previous generation Michelin X-ice 2). They're not anywhere near as bad as the summer stuff in snow but I'd say about 80% as good as the winter tires. A little easier to lock up the brakes, a little more willing to break traction and start to slide but never left me stuck or stranded. I'm swapping back to the snow tires this year as the Kumho's are pretty worn and don't have the tread depth they did last year.

I used to autox my Legacy a few times a year but that's tailed off with the Nissan running and chasing kids. The Kumho's have had all the grip in the dry and in the wet that I've ever needed zipping up on-ramps or on a back road and I'm seriously considering a new set as I'm going to need tires soon. Tirerack has a $50 gift card too right now.

Archived