LegacyGT.com

suspension upgrade!

I have roughly 500 dollars dedicated to upgrade my suspension. What are my best options. I like the ride height of the wrx setup but what are some other good options?

Before anyone says read the stickies, I've read them many of times :p

• I Donated

Start with swaybars.

I have the 22mm adjustable Whiteline rear sway bar and the 22mm adjustable Whiteline front swaybar. And I'm still on stock Outback suspension. I'm very happy with it.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

i would do the sways like brokn says....but then that will become boring and you will want to upgrade the struts and shocks.......for sways i went cheap and got a Tribeca bar for the front and a Rallitek one for the rear. the car handles better, just need stickier tires now........but i would start with a Rallitek rear sway and get use to that and build from there.

KYB GR2s are really nice, smooth struts, IMO, especially with nice springs. It's very economical and a good purchase before you move on to quality coilovers. I have a brand new whiteline rear sway bar that I will install some day, lol.

The shocks and struts in my car now have seen better days. So that is first priority right now but i was planning on upgrading the sways with whitelines. I can't decide whether to go outback suspension or something lower because i do take it off roading sometimes and i wouldn't have much clearance with the wrx setup. Ahhh compensation...

I'd be curious as to how much those help too, because now that I DO have these beefy anti-roll bars, the whole body of the car creaks like crazy over uneven surfaces. In other words, not so much to improve handling, as much as to help avoid flexing of the body in the wagon. I feel as though the rear strut brace is what I really need, as I feel as though that is where the majority of the flexing occurs... though I'm wary of installing something like that which would permanently block the cargo bay, unless there was a model that had some sort of quick-disconnect setup.

I guess the beefier anti-roll bar means a lot more of the stress is transmitted through the rest of the body of the vehicle, now that the suspension can't absorb the uneven surfaces as well.

I'd be curious as to how much those help too, because now that I DO have these beefy anti-roll bars, the whole body of the car creaks like crazy over uneven surfaces. In other words, not so much to improve handling, as much as to help avoid flexing of the body in the wagon. I feel as though the rear strut brace is what I really need, as I feel as though that is where the majority of the flexing occurs... though I'm wary of installing something like that which would permanently block the cargo bay, unless there was a model that had some sort of quick-disconnect setup.

I guess the beefier anti-roll bar means a lot more of the stress is transmitted through the rest of the body of the vehicle, now that the suspension can't absorb the uneven surfaces as well.

Exactly to the point. As great as an upgrade larger sway bars are, they push up on the strut towers causing them to flex and and this is where having a strut tower bar comes in handly to reduce some of it. It wont get rid of all the creeks and noises but it will reduce some and help give the car some more rigidness.

Wagons benifit most from a rear sway bar and greatly from a rear strut bar as the rear flexes more the sedans.

there are some on ebay that have the quick release but they go for a crapton of money. You can just buy the regular ebay one and go to your local hardware store compare the screws and and make your own quick disconnect bar for alot less!

Archived