LegacyGT.com

Turbocharging my 2.5i

I've been mulling around with the idea of turbocharging my 2.5i. Yes I already know that these engines cant handle too much boost (maybe 7psi max) but I'm getting a little tired of the lackluster performance. I also do not have the money or resources to do an engine swap or get a new car. I was planning on doing a “franken turbo” kit by scrounging around and buying the components second hand on this forum and others. What do I need outside of a turbo, exhaust manifold, intercooler and piping? Does anyone have experience with this or know someone who has done this?

Not worth the hassle or the money. trade in your 2.5i and buy a used LGT.

Boo

Variations of this question get asked regularly on this forum. If you need the power, just get a Legacy GT but make sure you're prepared to take care of it. Turbo Subarus are different animals than their NA counterparts.

Double boo

I want to see another AVO turbo kit on a 2.5i. It's a $3800 kit though. And you will have a sharp learning curve to overcome. Only worth doing if you can confirm the motor is in good condition. You'll want an extra pile of cash laying around on top of the cost of kit. It's $$$$......are you really willing to fork it out?

Boo

Double boo

I want to see another AVO turbo kit on a 2.5i. It's a $3800 kit though. And you will have a sharp learning curve to overcome. Only worth doing if you can confirm the motor is in good condition. You'll want an extra pile of cash laying around on top of the cost of kit. It's $$$$......are you really willing to fork it out?

Sell your car. If you can't because of bla bla bla you have no business turbocharging it as there is a healthy chance everything goes wrong and the reason you couldnt sell it is now the reason you are taking the bus.

Also, 7psi at 3800 is going to severely underwhelm you. You are better off spending that on renting a miata for track days 4 times a month.

Sell the car, if you have money left over after paying the bank use that as a downpayment on something more exciting. Once its paid off you can mod and blow the engine up. You'll be much happier!

Turbo Subarus from the factory already have "Fun things" to look out for and maintain before you have to pull the whole engine and press the reset button. Best bet is save up as if you were going to turbo it, but don't. Hell I got a already turboed Subaru on engine 2 and turbo 3.

Is it possible, yes. Will you get the same satisfaction as a GT, nope. Is the reason you won't sell because you have an emotional bond/attachment to the car that's pretty much running and driving you around currently?

There might even be the same, if not more satisfaction than buying a used GT - seeing as how you're getting a brand new up, down, turbo, intercooler, intake.Whereas you buy some used 5th owner LGT with 160,000 miles and all said parts are in questionable condition.

Here's another sammage for ya'll to munch on.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/upgrade-get-rid-256865.html

Stop! do not proceed down this path. Bad enough that the actual GT is a money pit.

Why create a frankenstein version that everyone will shitpost about. Just buy a GT and waste your time and money like the rest of us.

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

There might even be the same, if not more satisfaction than buying a used GT - seeing as how you're getting a brand new up, down, turbo, intercooler, intake.Whereas you buy some used 5th owner LGT with 160,000 miles and all said parts are in questionable condition.

Here's another sammage for ya'll to munch on.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/upgrade-get-rid-256865.html

Uh.... it kind of sounds like you need to buy the turbo kit and go through the pain of learning what we've learned before you'll beleive us. Thats fine. Go for it then.

It is no brainer at this point to buy a GT over turbocharging a 2.5i. Looking at the local craigslist classified ads and the book values, the turbo motor is only demanding a ~$1000 premium. If you want to argue the turbo components of AVO turbo kit are new, you can buy a 4th Gen LGT with a blown motor and spend the money to fix it right. It seems like those occasionally pop up for cheap in the local classified ads. Some of them look like pretty clean examples as well (some aren't worth fixing either.)

I also know it doesn't work on my LGT. You know this kit was designed for an 05-09 2.5i, right?

so, the kit cost 3,800. You can buy an LGT for not much more than that. It might be boring. But, stock LGT v $3,800 turbo kit. The stock LGT will win every time. Except in the highly debatable "cool" factor.

It's an alternative to OP putting a kit together with random parts. I don't expect Joey junior member to follow through with any of this. They never do. More or less playing Devils' advocate to compensate for the tired "go guy a used rusty LGT" rhetoric. It costs a lot more to buy a clean/low mile GT, FWIW. Beleive me, I considered this with my 2.5i years ago but never dared to ask the.com about it.

Do we have a bottom half of the bun yet? I have plenty of salt left!!

Archived