LegacyGT.com

Subaru Legacy GT 05-09 accessport screen flicker at WOT FIXED!

I know many people have the issue where their accessport for their Subaru Legacy GT reboots it flickers when you go WOT and you can’t do a full datalog. Cobb will tell you it’s your ground or your alternator that is bad. After a couple years a research I finally figured out the issue. The issue is the spark plugs used. I was on the phone with NGK for awhile trying to figure it out and we started talking about the resistors in them. Subaru stock plugs NGK 7913 or SILFR6A and have a 5k Ohm resistor in it which can cause a noise interference for the accessport causing it to shut off. After talking to NGK we found a set of plugs that matched every spec on the stock plugs but the only difference was they have a 10k Ohm resistor. The plug is NGK 4212 or ILFR6G-E. I put them in my car for the past week and have went WOT multiple times with no issues and the accessport screen did not flicker or reboot. These plugs have fixed the issue with the accessport

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve tried everything to fix my logging issue. I will try this when I return to the garage next month.
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

If this works well. it should be added to JmP's sticky at the top of the 4th Gen forum about various parts.

Nice that you thought to call NGK. They have a great customer service and tech dept. I've talked t back in the day.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Would this also fix logging with RomRaider/VAG-COM cutting out under WOT?

I believe so because when I was getting an open source tune mine would cut out under boost. It’s an issue with the resistors interfering with the obd2 wires and causing it to send the wrong amount of power. It should fix the issue! And the best way to change the spark plugs is taking out the motor mounts and jacking the motor up about 2 inches and it makes it so much easier! Best of luck with it all

I thought it was my foot bumping into the obd connector! I do know it gets fuzzy with the slightest tap.

That’s what I was always told my issue was but my cord is where my foot isn’t but Cobb kept saying it was my foot

Good find. I wonder if there is an equivalent plug that is in the 7 heat range.

They don’t have it in a 7 for one step colder. Just talked to ngk and they only have them in 5k Ohm plugs

Someone should measure spark strength against factory. Also consider the effects of the coil pack seeing twice the resistance. I suspect coil issues could result.

Twice the resistance makes me go, hmmm...

I would lose sleep just throwing them in.

Good find. I wonder if there is an equivalent plug that is in the 7 heat range.

I installed LFR7AIX and have not yet seen an issue on my AP.

Granted, I haven't done any real pulls other than through 1st and 2nd gear as my engine has only a couple hundred miles on it. Still, I wanted to report no issues seen at WOT using those particular plugs.

I installed LFR7AIX and have not yet seen an issue on my AP.

Granted, I haven't done any real pulls other than through 1st and 2nd gear as my engine has only a couple hundred miles on it. Still, I wanted to report no issues seen at WOT using those particular plugs.

Thanks. I use SILFRA7 (5245) and don't have issues either but if I ever did it would be nice to have an option.

Someone should measure spark strength against factory. Also consider the effects of the coil pack seeing twice the resistance. I suspect coil issues could result.

Twice the resistance makes me go, hmmm...

I would lose sleep just throwing them in.

I talked to ngk for awhile on the phone and they said there will be no issue with the spark because of the difference in the resistance. The spark is the same it just makes less “noise” with the resistors. I’ve had them in my car for awhile now and no issues. I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it. It doesn’t make any difference with the different resistors excepting fixing the resetting issues. The spark strength is almost exactly the same. Ngk said there was no difference

I talked to ngk for awhile on the phone and they said there will be no issue with the spark because of the difference in the resistance. The spark is the same it just makes less “noise” with the resistors. I’ve had them in my car for awhile now and no issues. I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it. It doesn’t make any difference with the different resistors excepting fixing the resetting issues. The spark strength is almost exactly the same. Ngk said there was no difference

I dont give an F what some customer service lacky said to sell a set of plugs. I would test myself.

Just my 2 cents.

• 11 months later...

I have the Accessport V2 and have had the flicker problem at WOT with stock plugs . In my current setup, I am trying these NGK 4212 plugs.

The AP screen is still flickering black/white at WOT, but in looking at the logs, it looks like the data is still there. In the past, it would just stop logging.

Edited by ashwinearl

Here is an easy fix, just stop keeping your AP hooked all THE DAMN TIME. Drive me nuts to see people running around with it hooked up. Out of all my cars I can tell you I have only used the AP 10 times over way to many years. most were to have the car dyno tuned or up load a map. I have very nice gauges to tell me what's up.

I also have a nice big OBD2 scanner that does live data on screen. My Ap stays in the glove box always.

For a guy like me, I don't have all the time in the world to immerse myself in what appropriate sensor readings look like so it's a whole lot easier for me to monitor certain values and ask a question on the forum or perhaps capture a few logs to post to the forum so more experienced people can provide feedback...like in the case of my failed front O2 sensor.

I am personally not a big fan of gauges so the AP is the perfect balance of what I need in order to load tunes, monitor sensor performance and post logs if need be.

That all said, no, I do not leave it plugged in all the time everywhere.