LegacyGT.com

Slower crank, won't start.

Hey everybody, hope everything is well. I'm having a head scratching issue with a friend's 08 Legacy 2.5.

I personally own a 2000 2.5 RS, so this is for my friend I'm trying to help out.

I've rebuilt atleast 3 or 4 EJ25s, my friend bought a legacy not knowing the head gaskets were shot. So I did a gasket and timing belt replace. Everything was fine, drove it for about 3000 miles, and one day he is driving, and it just dies, no load knocking, it just dies and won't start again.

So he gets it towed to me, and I noticed the crank is slower than usual. So replaced battery, checked timing, spark, and fuel pressure, all good.

Hooked up my OBD scanner, started looking at parameters, everything except the pedal position sensor, which is sitting at 33% at the on position. The throttle body was making a humming noise, so we replaced that; no change, still making a humming noise unless you unplug it and plug it back in. Still no start, doesn't even sound like it's firing at all.

So my guess is going to be a wiring issue? I wanted to see if anyone has had a similar issue, before I start chasing this wiring goblin.

I really appreciate anyone who takes the time to respond.

Thank you.

So I went to re-check the timing, and in day light, sure enough the belt skipped two teeth. Is that enough to bend a valve? I did get a smack in the head twice, through 4 revolutions.

So my question is, is two teeth enough for valve to meet cylinder? Or is it a bad lifter, guide and the valve is slamming back up into the head? I didn't hear any reverberations in the block when it happened. Sound more like a valve slamming shut, I'm probably being hopeful, haha.

You may be safe with only two teeth, seem to recall a few month's back where it was said 3 teeth in bad.

I would think a compression test is in your future.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here