LegacyGT.com

Hta68 10cm

So I’m in the need for more power now (go figure). Has anyone every played around with the hta68 with 10cm hot side?

I’m kinda after 350awhp. Which is 50hp more from my vf48 tune. Is it possible to get that goal with that turbo on pump?

I know it’s a really good E-85 turbo but I wanted to hold off on that just because the flex fuel kit, the more expensive tune, the ap(never needed one was always opensourced) is another 2500. Let alone I have two E-85 station around me that’s 20 mins away and the other is 35mins.

I suggest you contact tuningalliance@gmail.com

You can tell Mike I sent you. He talked to me about a hta68 back in 2009. I'm sure he has a ton of knowledge about it.

He is also the best Tuner for these cars.

IMO having to drive that far to get fuel every time is going to get old.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have an hta68 that first dynoed at 369awhp. I had it detuned to 310 to get more area under the curve. Its on an open source tune with mostly stock fueling (750cc injectors is only upgrade). Its tuned for 96 octane, as I used to put 100octane race fuel in.

If you are going to run e85, you want to get 3 five gallon containers and fill them when you drive to the station. Gets you two tanks for one visit, although it assumes you are driving alot.

Also I suggest picking a torque value as your goal. With hp goal, you'll get a peak only and blah experience the rest of the time.

Why not just have a standalone opensource E85 map that you switch to when you want, and get more or less there with your current turbo?

I experienced the drastic improvement offered by e85 and it’s very difficult to go back to gas. That being said, I get like 13mpg.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

I experienced the drastic improvement offered by e85 and it’s very difficult to go back to gas. That being said, I get like 13mpg.

Right there with ya. Though, I've found a few stations around me where you can get E85 for close to half the price of 93, so it's almost a wash in terms of $/gallon.

Refuelling twice as often and shorter oil change intervals are kinda lame, though.

Edited by awfulwaffle

I have an hta68 that first dynoed at 369awhp. I had it detuned to 310 to get more area under the curve. Its on an open source tune with mostly stock fueling (750cc injectors is only upgrade). Its tuned for 96 octane, as I used to put 100octane race fuel in.

If you are going to run e85, you want to get 3 five gallon containers and fill them when you drive to the station. Gets you two tanks for one visit, although it assumes you are driving alot.

Also I suggest picking a torque value as your goal. With hp goal, you'll get a peak only and blah experience the rest of the time.

What exhaust housing did you use? 7,8,10? Would happen to have a dyno sheet would you? Or what kind of dyno

I suggest you contact tuningalliance@gmail.com

You can tell Mike I sent you. He talked to me about a hta68 back in 2009. I'm sure he has a ton of knowledge about it.

He is also the best Tuner for these cars.

IMO having to drive that far to get fuel every time is going to get old.

Thanks. I sent him an email. Curious on his thoughts.

What exhaust housing did you use? 7,8,10? Would happen to have a dyno sheet would you? Or what kind of dyno

the "build my car" link answers most of your questions. intake and exhaust are oem except for the catless invidia dp. My hta68 was a limited run build, combined the best of 68 & 71. housing should be 8.

FP will still make an 71hta if you are willing to pay

the "build my car" link answers most of your questions. intake and exhaust are oem except for the catless invidia dp. My hta68 was a limited run build, combined the best of 68 & 71. housing should be 8.

FP will still make an 71hta if you are willing to pay

I was asking because I found a used hta68 with the 10cm for 400. Just didn’t want to grab it and lose power and regret it. I looked up the turbo a lot. I see 320-340 on Stis with the 8cm. So if those are anything to go by it would put me where I want to be on pump and have plenty of room if I want to go E-85.

Just I guess I makes me nervous what if I swap out the vf48 and hate the hta68 lol. Or if I lose power stuff like that haha. Anxiety + mods don’t mix :rolleyes:

my personal experience with used turbos is poor, i'm zero for two. Id send it to jmp for rebuild, but that's me. I believe the 8cm was the better of the Subaru configurations, but don't quote me on that.

It didn't take alot of mods to get mine setup. It was in for tuning awhile though.

335 torque with a wide plateau is damn fun. When its below the plateau, I usually downshift rather than add more throttle. 5th gear is really fragile. I'd pay attention to your driving goals rather than a random hp number. 310-320hp is pretty easy to get on pump gas. Chasing the e85 for power instead of building it right seems like an expensive rebuild waiting to happen.

I went from stock to blown engine to racecar, so I only had the oem turbo and the hta68. I love the turbo, never ran out of air even at 7000. however i have a non standard tune, so it sucks around town and in 5th gear. I mostly used 3rd and 4th; gas mileage wasn't something I cared about.