LegacyGT.com

Oil Change Expensive @ Dealer

mine wanted $40 for conventional oil change. checking prices for my daughter's new impreza and they want $70 for synthetic oil change.

a jug of synthetic 0w-20 is $23 at walmart and a filter is $4. Yeah, I'll be doing her oil changes at home just like I do mine. I'll keep the receipts as proof i bought it. or make vids of me changing it. lol

Change your own oil where possible!

My local dealership charged $79. I live in an HOA where I'm not "allowed" change my vehicle's oil. So I close my garage and do it where I can't be seen. Even with the hassle, saving $40 is worth it.

$24 for the oil, $5 for a filter. Just remember to buy a decent catch pan.

Even when I bring the vehicle in for maintenance I tell them "No oil change. No tire rotation". Both of these things are far too easy to do on your own.

I also recommend looking into and investing in a Fumoto drain valve. Makes oil changes easier and cleaner.

My dealer offers prepaid oil change & tire rotation, which saves me about 30% off their regular rates. I pay ~$300 for 6 at a time, which ends up costing around $50 per visit. I used to do it myself, but I have developed back problems which make it impossible for me to do any more, plus my time is worth more than it costs with the prepaid plan.

There used to be an independent shop near my work who I could go to to get work like this done at a lower cost, especially the big service intervals, but then I changed jobs, and they moved about 20 miles farther away from home, while the dealer is <5 mins away. Again, time is money, so the dealer gets my business. I've tried some other independent shops, but they either don't know what they are doing with Subarus, or they cost as much as the dealer.

Finally, as for the drain valve, it might be fine on a Legacy, I don't know. However, my brother-in-law put one on his mom's minivan, which was great until she unintentionally ran over a possum, and the carcass ripped the end of the valve off unbeknownst to her, draining her oil all over the road and eventually damaging the engine beyond the point it was worth repairing the car. It is apparently not without risks. If you are savvy enough to change your own oil, I'd think you would notice the oil pressure light on the dash, but not everyone who drives the cars you maintain might notice in time.

Finally, as for the drain valve, it might be fine on a Legacy, I don't know. However, my brother-in-law put one on his mom's minivan, which was great until she unintentionally ran over a possum, and the carcass ripped the end of the valve off unbeknownst to her, draining her oil all over the road and eventually damaging the engine beyond the point it was worth repairing the car. It is apparently not without risks. If you are savvy enough to change your own oil, I'd think you would notice the oil pressure light on the dash, but not everyone who drives the cars you maintain might notice in time.

The valve sits above the underbody plastic panel, and so, unless that was also ripped off, there won't be a problem with the Fumoto style valves and possums, coyotes, porcupines, skunks etc. -- avoidance is still recommended!

Just got a coupon from the dealership for an oil change/tire rotation for half off, so $35.

But it's good till 10/27/20. We just got the car Thursday. I don't think my daughter is going to put 6000 miles on by next month. She's going to try. lol. it's day four and we're almost at 300 miles on the car.

Congratulations. Is this the same daughter who shot your Legacy?

Lol, yes, one and the same. She made me proud when she chose Subaru.

1-B1-C44-BD-0509-410-B-965-A-04800-B6-CAEE2.jpg

I've already shown her how to change a tire and she was able to do it herself. We changed the interior lights to LED. I'm having the windows tinted next (legal) and she's eagerly awaiting the first oil change. She wants to do it herself.

Not bad for an 18 year old girl.

I've already shown her how to change a tire and she was able to do it herself. ... she's eagerly awaiting the first oil change. She wants to do it herself.

Good for her! Good for you!

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...
Change your own oil where possible!

My local dealership charged $79. I live in an HOA where I'm not "allowed" change my vehicle's oil. So I close my garage and do it where I can't be seen. Even with the hassle, saving $40 is worth it.

$24 for the oil, $5 for a filter. Just remember to buy a decent catch pan.

Even when I bring the vehicle in for maintenance I tell them "No oil change. No tire rotation". Both of these things are far too easy to do on your own.

I also recommend looking into and investing in a Fumoto drain valve. Makes oil changes easier and cleaner.

I've changed my oil since I was 16yrs old. I don't have time to do oil changes with my hectic schedule. I've logged on legacygt.com today. Last time I was on, I posted this thread.

I've changed my oil since I was 16yrs old. I don't have time to do oil changes with my hectic schedule. I've logged on legacygt.com today. Last time I was on, I posted this thread.

Finding a shop that's not going to muck up the job can be difficult. Realize any shop, even dealers, the least experienced ppl are working on your car. They are doing an inspection for more possible work in the 15 minutes they spend on the whole job.

Dealer hourly rate is about $200/hr, so labor and materials is about right.

If you don't have time to login here, looking for and dealing with changing to a new shop isn't high on your list of things to do either? Unless you spend playtime with your kids changing the oil?

Finding a shop that's not going to muck up the job can be difficult. Realize any shop, even dealers, the least experienced ppl are working on your car. They are doing an inspection for more possible work in the 15 minutes they spend on the whole job.

Dealer hourly rate is about $200/hr, so labor and materials is about right.

If you don't have time to login here, looking for and dealing with changing to a new shop isn't high on your list of things to do either? Unless you spend playtime with your kids changing the oil?

I have a shop that I go to that charges $43. There was a recall on the legacy so I figured I'd get the oil change. Last time I paid was around 70 last year. And I like to support the dealership (I've had 9 subarus, 3 today) But $90 bucks? That's a rip off.

Talk to the service manager? remind them of your relationship and loyalty?

Subaru has another massive recall going on and covid has stopped the influx of new techs. They could be putting more experienced ppl on oil changes raising their costs. Not making excuses. Our local dealer is giving out loaner cars for oil changes.

• 1 month later...
I've gotten my oil changes at the dealer since I got the car more than 4 years ago. With their coupons, I usually pay $52-$60 for an oil change. It depends on the particular coupon. Currently, the dealer's express synthetic oil change is $60. FWIW Edited by Rocktman

Our dealership charges $60 for a full synthetic change.

For my daughter's Impreza I bought Mobil 1 synthetic oil for $20 and a Japanese (black) oil filter for $7. We're probably going to change it this weekend. She's at 4200 miles. Figured we'd do it early.

You guys should order the Fomoto Oil drain valve. Makes it much easier to put a hose on the drain valve, put the other end of the hose into a empty container.

With a set of car ramps, its real easy to change the oil and filter.

Getting the filter off the first time, from the factory, is the hardest, once you oil the seal on the new filter install it correctly, it will come off by hand without any tools needed.

I've been doing this for many years.

I keep a small note book where I record all maintenance I do on the cars. The Dealer will photo copy my notebook if they have to cover a warranty.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Oil changes near me regardless is about $70 to $90 as they are synthetic oil changes. I used to do all my oil changes but kinda got tired of doing them as I always had to do them in a public place as I live in an apt.

• 8 months later...

I took my 18 year old daughter's 2020 Impreza to the dealer for it's 3rd oil change (I did the first two) and it was $90 for a 4 cyl synthetic change. My coupon brought it down to $35.

After this visit, I'll continue to do my own for her car. 5qt synthetic oil is around $25 and a filter is around $9 for the Japanese filter. I've taught her how to do her own so she can start.

BMW wants $120 for 4 cyl oil changes and I can do it myself for $35-$40. Doesn't take long.