LegacyGT.com

Questions on Japanese Spec 2004 Legacy GT-B Wagon

Talkiet

Hi all... I have previously had a 1994 Legacy RS (2.0l twin turbo - 260ps) and currently have a 1999 Legacy GT-B (2.0l twin turbo - 280ps) - both 5sp, both provided a huge amount of fast, fun, safe motoring.

Now however I am looking at a new (for me) one, and I have found a 2004 Legacy GT-B (Japanese) wagon. It's a BP5, 5sp, EJ20y (try searching for that!), 120k, 18" wheels, McIntosh stereo with 6 disc and minidisc - and seemingly in excellent condition.

I drove it a couple of days ago and it seems very tight - certainly doesn't feel like a 120,000k car!

This is what it looks like...

http://nzsnaps.com/photos/544291556_xMvdJ-L.jpg

http://nzsnaps.com/photos/544289902_bh9cJ-L.jpg

I do have a few specific questions I was hoping the assembled experience on this board could help with...

1) Will this model support OBDII? and if so, what protocol? Please note that this is Japanese sourced and isn't necessarily the same as the US - in fact I don't think this motor ever made it to the US...

2) The McIntosh stereo has no MP3 capability or Line in included. I have read the various hacks on here but does anyone know if the 2004 McIntosh from this car would accept a Clarion adaptor? I HAVE read the thread but it's just not clear to me if the 2004 Japanese model will work.

Pic of the stereo

http://nzsnaps.com/photos/544285838_QUAi9-L.jpg

3) The owner says it has the factory immobiliser, but wasn't sure if there is also an alarm installed... It only occurred to me after I left to roll down a window and arm the 'immobiliser' and then open the locked door from the inside to test - but does it seem odd there's no alarm?

4) Will the factory towbar I have on my 1999 transfer to the 2004 or will I have to splash out on getting another one?

5) Anything else that anyone would like to add to help my decision? I'd value any input.

Cheers - Neil G

New Zealand

oh, This is the plate from under the bonnet in case it helps with any of these questions...

http://nzsnaps.com/photos/544285398_binB6-L.jpg

Edited by Talkiet

Yes, it's OBDII as I've tried data logging a BP5C with the tactrix cable before. Your's is a BP5A but BP5A to C should be all the same. From D and onwards, they are all on CANBus.

Your head unit looked different to my 08MY Legacy (BP5E) so I don't think I can help you there. The unit on mine can read MP3 CD right from the factory and a line in cable could be added as an option but there is already an AUX in button on the head unit.

• 10 years later...

I am a first time subaru owner,with no prior knowledge to anything subaru, and I just bought this same car. I am having no luck finding parts/ service manuals, or forums on this car, in fact, this is the first thread I have seen referencing this car. I have several questions I was hoping somebody could help me with.

1. Where is a good place to get parts?

2. Where can I get a service manual?

3. I have the Haynes Manual for the 2000-2009 Legacy, but it is for the 2.5l motor, is this book of any use to me? ie for repair procedures?

4.Will general parts, Brakes, rotors,filters,etc be the same on the 2.5 as the 2.0?

Thanks in advanced.

Jump on clubsub.org.nz if you want to get info more related to the JDM cars.

-OEM parts from dealers are crazy expensive. Best alternative is Partsouq or Amayama.

Some US aftermarket parts fit but others don't so it pays to ask or research each part before purchasing.

- Service manual, you’ll have not a lot of luck on one specific for what you have. I use an Aus 03/04 manual and a US 08 one and between them they answer almost anything I need besides specific wiring.

-Almost everything will swap over besides the engine and steering related items but still needs research for each item as some differences do exist.

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

is there a parts for sale section on that forum? or do you need to sign up for an account to see them?

We have it restricted to keep the undesirables from chucking up stuff for sale and never following through or ripping people off. You need an account and a 10+ post count. Think the garage/build and a few other sections are limited until you make an account too.

Edited by Andy_Mac

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness