LegacyGT.com

Blown Turbo Recovery Advice...

Ok, so I recently purchased a 2005 Subaru Legacy only to have the turbocharger fail shortly after. I described this in the introductions forum. The mechanic who originally supposedly replaced the turbo has ordered an OEM Turbo from Subaru as well as new lines (including filter) and has been advised by the dealer techs to flush the engine several times. So my question is, I've read on the forum that it would be a good idea to replaced the oil cooler. Obviously this mechanic is not going to do that and there really isn't any way I can make him. Should I replace the oil cooler? Would driving the car back from him (About 100 miles) make replacing the oil cooler pointless anyway because the oil will have circulated? Should I just save my money for a short block? Any advice is appreciated.

After reading the full version of the story, I'd give the engine like a 25% chance of surviving this experience. And to get that chance, replacing the entire oil system including the cooler is critical. The cooler is a small item and an easy job, not sure the hangup on that part of the job.

Personally, I wouldn't plug the new OEM turbo (assuming it really is OEM) into that oil system. Wiser to pull the whole mess, open up the engine, and see what's salvageable.

Couple weeks ago, a guy on here had the turbo take out the heads as well as the shortblock, so he had to spring for a longblock as well as a turbo.

Where in MA are you ? There are a few good places to help you with these cars.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

Do we know how bad the turbo was that was removed, did it put metal into the oil system ?

Lot's of stories on here about your issue with the result being...the short block needs replacing a few miles later.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

After reading the full version of the story, I'd give the engine like a 25% chance of surviving this experience. And to get that chance, replacing the entire oil system including the cooler is critical. The cooler is a small item and an easy job, not sure the hangup on that part of the job.

Personally, I wouldn't plug the new OEM turbo (assuming it really is OEM) into that oil system. Wiser to pull the whole mess, open up the engine, and see what's salvageable.

I read your intro story. If this car 'keeps blowing turbos' perhaps the banjo filter is clogged. It also means the oil has been circulating the metal throughout the engine from each turbo failure. I think 25% chance of the short block surviving is being very generous with multiple failures. I thinks it a matter of how many miles its going to last 100 miles, 200 miles, 1000 miles, ...

I agree with poster above. It seems like your mechanically inclined, pull the motor and see what is salvageable. If you can get the mechanic to just give you the OEM turbo and not install it, that would be the best way to go. Otherwise I can see the mechanic installing the new turbo and the short block going shortly after and needing to buy a new turbo and short block.

The dealer seems shady, but they are probably losing money and trying to get out this nightmare car and reduce their losses. The prior owner also knowing traded this car in and tried to pass the buck to the dealer/next owner.

Just an update...

He's had the car for 10 days and keeps saying "tomorrow" every day I call him. I'm headed out there now to remove my plates from the car and demand a refund. Will update later.

I didn't even want to let this guy touch the car again, but its literally all I could get from them. I already know its going to cost me big...

If you have a new VF40 from Subaru do not install it at this point! Gotta find out the condition of that engine, seemingly it's going to be toast given the original thread.

If you got one for cheap/cheaper and you understand for $4K more you can have a fresh engine that's not so bad,these are fun cars to drive when maintained, if you are one of these guys that paid $10K+ for a 4th Gen, in 2018, you should worry. :redface:

If you have a new VF40 from Subaru do not install it at this point! Gotta find out the condition of that engine, seemingly it's going to be toast given the original thread.

If you got one for cheap/cheaper and you understand for $4K more you can have a fresh engine that's not so bad,these are fun cars to drive when maintained, if you are one of these guys that paid $10K+ for a 4th Gen, in 2018, you should worry. :redface:

Yea, It was at the lower end at $5300, but at this point I'm over it. He was adamant about continuing to test drive it until Thursday, but I was originally told it would be ready Saturday. On Thursday, they will have had it for 2 weeks...

I told him I his mechanic is a hack and I just want my money back, So when the title arrives, I'll be headed back there.

Thanks for all the Legacy related help, but I'm a Legacy owner no more...

Yea, It was at the lower end at $5300, but at this point I'm over it. He was adamant about continuing to test drive it until Thursday, but I was originally told it would be ready Saturday. On Thursday, they will have had it for 2 weeks...

I told him I his mechanic is a hack and I just want my money back, So when the title arrives, I'll be headed back there.

Thanks for all the Legacy related help, but I'm a Legacy owner no more...

Just an FYI, A MA car dealer doesn't have to refund your money due the mileage of your car. It exceeds the warranty and lemon laws limits. I still think it is a good idea to return the car and let someone else deal with this headache. Hopefully the dealer will allow you to return it as a goodwill gesture. Good luck!

Archived