LegacyGT.com

BPV tuning and springs

Cincy05LGT

Ever since switching to a Turbosmart BPV (full recirc) I've felt the car buck under certain situations when lifting off throttle. Sometimes it can feel pretty violent. BPV was installed immediately prior to dyno tune. Never happens when redline shifting at WOT, only when lifting during max load mid spool. Also, I notice some BPV flutter if I really bog the engine, let it slightly spool, and lift.

I'm leaning towards needing a lighter spring, or an adjustable BPV. It wouldn't bother me so much, except I think it could cause some issues under similar conditions during autox when the bucking may unsettle the car slightly.

Open to other ideas.

RELATED Mods:

Turbosmart BPV

Grimmspeed TMIC

Moore performance catless UP

2012 ej257

South Bend stage 2 endurance clutch

Td05 16g 8cm

Perrin inlet

Turn in Concepts protuned

3" turboback exhaust

K&N typhoon CAI

Thanks for the link!

I am aware of what compressor surge is, and the undesirable consequences. I'm more concerned with the bucking though, since bucking isn't typically a symptom of comp surge I may be dealing with something else like drive line slack... I'll post my thoughts after reading your link.

• 3 weeks later...

^ This. You could try a stiffer spring first.

Sent from a device using some software.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Ever since switching to a Turbosmart BPV (full recirc) I've felt the car buck under certain situations when lifting off throttle. Sometimes it can feel pretty violent. BPV was installed immediately prior to dyno tune. Never happens when redline shifting at WOT, only when lifting during max load mid spool. Also, I notice some BPV flutter if I really bog the engine, let it slightly spool, and lift.

I'm leaning towards needing a lighter spring, or an adjustable BPV. It wouldn't bother me so much, except I think it could cause some issues under similar conditions during autox when the bucking may unsettle the car slightly.

Open to other ideas.

RELATED Mods:

Turbosmart BPV

Grimmspeed TMIC

Moore performance catless UP

2012 ej257

South Bend stage 2 endurance clutch

Td05 16g 8cm

Perrin inlet

Turn in Concepts protuned

3" turboback exhaust

K&N typhoon CAI

i was dyno tuned on a turbo smart kompact. only time i heard even light surging was with thick lubricant and it was making the piston stick. im full 100% recirculate.

ive tried sewing machine oil and hydraulic and it doesnt work well. i tried some 5-30 amsoil SS engine oil and it works fine.

you should be running the green spring. i tried the pink and it was too stiff and created some surge. bte...even on green spring this bpv eats gas big time. stock i got 26.7 mpg with kompact bpv was 22 at best. on highway i did get 28 before though with the kompact.

throttle response is better than stock but somehow eats more gas.

it sounds like you have the wrong lube in there right now. green spring is fine. clean it out and clean the piston with alcohol the relube with proper lube.

i have the cobb xle right now. its a mix between stock and kompact as i can fine tune the spring with a turn of a screw. i did NOT try washers with the green spring.

a stiffer spring on the kompact will def make it surge more. im sure he has the wrong lube in it. if there is any left. hehe.

I'll pull it off, clean and lube, and report back. Not sure which spring it came with.

What are your AFR's doing during this "bog down time"?

Best bet is try putting on your stock valve and see if your having the same issue.

I'll have to try logging AFR from my LC-1. The car was tuned by Dom of Maxwell Power, at Turn in Concepts. I'll give the stock valve a shot after I clean and lube the turbosmart for another test. It's tricky since the valve and tune were installed within the same week and I was babying the car until the tune, I'll have to use process of elimination.

I'll have to try logging AFR from my LC-1. The car was tuned by Dom of Maxwell Power, at Turn in Concepts. I'll give the stock valve a shot after I clean and lube the turbosmart for another test. It's tricky since the valve and tune were installed within the same week and I was babying the car until the tune, I'll have to use process of elimination.

Ah,

You may have something else going on with the tune, if you still have the issue, send us a PM! We do great etuning work (especially on legacys).

-Brian

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Cleaned and oiled the BPV with REM oil. I can tell that it operates more freely, but the car still bucks under certain driving conditions. It's most noticeable on the highway if I accelerate in 5th to pass, and suddenly lift right before boost peaks.

Definitely leaning towards a tuning issue. That being the case, it's time to go ELH, EWG, ID1000, & E85 and hit the rollers again.

Cleaned and oiled the BPV with REM oil. I can tell that it operates more freely, but the car still bucks under certain driving conditions. It's most noticeable on the highway if I accelerate in 5th to pass, and suddenly lift right before boost peaks.

Definitely leaning towards a tuning issue. That being the case, it's time to go ELH, EWG, ID1000, & E85 and hit the rollers again.

We can do an etune for you, let us know.

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived