LegacyGT.com

AVCS issues - rt. side full advance, left 0

so as title says i'm getting some wonky AVCS in. numbers. right side appears to be working just fine, but the left is pegged at zero and won't budge. no drivability issues, no stalling, no funky idle, no power loss, no CEL. any ideas on that one? is it just not communicating correctly? any advice would certainly be appreciated...
i can put anything i want down here?!

If it is calling for VVT advance and the AVCS isn't moving then there is either an issue with the electrical signal going to the OCV (which would cause a code immediately) or with the hydraulic circuit (which can take two consecutive driving cycles to trigger a CEL). Crack the banjo bolt open at the OCV with the car idling to make sure there is good oil pressure. If you are getting sufficient oil there then the filter isn't clogged. At that point I would try replacing the cam gear since the internal mechanism may be stuck. You could also disassemble the gear; I did a walkthrough on that a few years ago for a similar problem.

Wouldnt a OCV cause this also? I had a similar issue but the vehicle was throwing out a CEL, replaced both valves and it was solved. No drivebility issues either but the left side was definitely not working(checked with accessport)

Here is where I purchased mine from:

http://shop.bostonmotorsports.com/Subaru-Oil-Control-Valve-05-09-LGT_p_2002.html

well there's yer problem right there... :spin:

good god. somehow i must've snapped the ocv relay right off. i swear to god. sooo, given it's the left side, am i going to starve anything of oil? it's already been on the dyno and 50 miles back/forth to work like this...

edit: i still don't get how this doesn't throw a CEL

IMG_20130813_185803_233.thumb.jpg.6bff73afd1e7cda349d73d81369bbc27.jpg

i can put anything i want down here?!

Archived