LegacyGT.com

Dash Melt Down

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 10 months later...

Let me bump this thread :spin:

For those of you who has had their dash replaced, how is it holding up? Sticky issue coming back?

How many of you has had their dash AND airbag replaced at the same time? I have asked my local dealer to do both at the same time and he is willing to put a new dash at no additional (labor) cost. I still have to pay for the dash though. Do you know if they really take the whole dash off the car to change the pass. airbag?

Let me bump this thread :spin:

For those of you who has had their dash replaced, how is it holding up? Sticky issue coming back?

How many of you has had their dash AND airbag replaced at the same time? I have asked my local dealer to do both at the same time and he is willing to put a new dash at no additional (labor) cost. I still have to pay for the dash though. Do you know if they really take the whole dash off the car to change the pass. airbag?

My new dash has been great. It still rattles, though (I'm certain they didn't bother fixing that problem even though I mentioned it).

I took the car in for the airbag recall and asked if the entire dash needed to come out (my understanding is that it's not necessary to remove the entire dash to do the airbag), and they claimed the entire dash needs to come out. After that, I said that I want the dash replaced if they're taking it out under the dash recall, and after a little back-and-forth, they agreed.

FYI, if you do the dash recall, make sure they transfer your VIN tag. They did not on mine, so currently I have no dash VIN tag. Haven't had to get inspected yet, so I have no idea how much of a pain that's going to be when the time comes.

Is the dash recall still active? Mine has just started to show melting, one year after doing the airbag. Also if so has anyone negotiated just having them supply the parts? I need to fix some other things under the dash, and it’s make life much simpler if I did it all myself.

Thanks for the info.

They won't take it under the dash recall. I will just have to pay for one (very pricey from that dealership (~500$). So I asked if I can provide my own and they said yes.

I just hope they're not gonna realize in the middle of the work that 'oh we don't need to take the dash out for the airbag; so we now need to charge you extra labor time'. I better not hear that...

And yeah, someone else on the thread mentioned that same issue with the VIN tag. I'll make sure to remember that.

How long have you had your new dash? And do you park your car in the sun without a sun visor? Finally, no 'wavy' issue on yours as I've read from others?

Glad this got bumped, I've been wondering if SOA is still honoring the dash recall. I got my airbags done, slight rattle increase. But my thing is not having a garage for the last year and a half, I'm noticing more hazing/fogging of the dash material. I have a sun visor but not as religious with it as I used to be. The UV is def making a difference. I'm sure I could finesse it at the right dealer, but what are the qualifications for replacement?

I picked up a dash from a junkyard that had the tackiness/haze on it - it was too late to return it by the time I realized what I had. I thought I would take the opportunity to undertake my first respray project and the results are here.

If they don't cover your dash under warranty I would recommend the SEM line of products. They also have a great support line. Including their TAC Free helps to prevent the tackiness from re-occurring, but this product needs to be used in combination with a full repaint. Instead of using the TAC Free as a topcoat, I put another layer of Satin Black over it. TAC Free as a topcoat left a water-mist-like sheen.

Edited by Enlight

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

Essentially, what I am wondering is if a new dash we'd get from a dealer today is exactly the same (in terms of specs and material construction) than what we all originally had. If yes, then the issue will show up in a couple of years. And I intend to keep this car for a long time.

Alternatively, you can try to get one from a junkyard that is not tacky. I would assume that the dashes that are susceptible to this problem will have revealed the problem by now - you just have to instruct the yard that you will only accept a dash that doesn't have the problem. Of course, you would be rolling the dice on whoever is disassembling to do a good job.

Also, since Subaru is/was aware of this issue, I would think that they changed their formulation so newly manufactured dashes don't have the problem. Operative word being think.

I was trying to do the exact same thing as you when I had my airbag recalled.

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

My dash wasn't particularly sticky to begin with before it was replaced. For the most part, I keep a fitted sunshade (Covercraft UVS100) to the front windshield, and all the other windows are tinted with 3M Crystalline CR40, so there's pretty much no UV and minimal IR getting into the car. But that said, the new dash has shown no signs of degradation. I wouldn't expect any at least for several years.

The dash recall ended last March I think, or 10 years from the car's age (not sure if it was sale date, mfg date, etc.), whichever was later.

A couple of weeks ago, first sunny day of the year where it was really able to warm up the car. Look what's happening...

Spoke to my favorite person at Subaru of Brampton, he accepted the same pictures as I'm putting here and is bringing it to the top. I'm not the first in Canada to get this, so hopefully the warranty can come to us too.

Edit... I hate this manage attachments crap, my cell phone takes better pics than this server can handle...

1.thumb.jpg.025484bd7b37dbbf6d73053a930a8501.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.ad471e8e74e81ed3cc177d7b83344ba6.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.048a54e7058c2aa0ade19e041cb089b4.jpg

Edited by MaasaiWarrior
08 Spec B, insta: @08_spec_b, 10 SH Forester insta: @shfozzy

So wait, what happened? you're having issue with a replacement? Or are you going to ask SoC to replace your old one?

I'm working with my local dealer to see what they can do. They had never head of this issue.

I've forwarded them a photo of the recall letter that was posted on a thread about this, and send him a bunch of page links from the web.

08 Spec B, insta: @08_spec_b, 10 SH Forester insta: @shfozzy

SOA issued an extended warranty on the dashboard because of the sticky problem. The issue was the glue would seep through the leather on hot days and that caused the dash to be sticky. I got mine replaced last year and I’ll be parting out the car that it’s on (07 legacy sedan if anyone interested )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
I'm working with my local dealer to see what they can do. They had never head of this issue.

I've forwarded them a photo of the recall letter that was posted on a thread about this, and send him a bunch of page links from the web.

Any update on this? Last summer when I emailed Subaru Canada they basically told me to take a hike as the recall wasn't happening in Canada.

For those of you who have had the dash replaced, what's the material like? How well does it match the doors? Can you post pics? :)