LegacyGT.com

1993 Legacy Wagon RHD Build Thread

Holy shit its been forever since I updated, or worked on my car really!

I just ordered a few things from DIYAUTOTUNE so I can begin getting Megasquirt set up. So if anyone wants to help or offer advice on getting my motor to run on MS, greatly appreciated

1nA5lo5.png?1

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I went back and forth for like a year. Im pretty sure to run rob tune I would have to switch my manifold over to a 20G, which I don't have. So having to buy that, then an ecu, then the rob tune I would be into it for enough money to just buy the Megasquirt setup instead.

I started to clean up the harness a bit, to at least make it look better and make the MS harness as easy a process as possible.

4touvHN.jpg

Does anyone see any sense in rewiring stuff or should I cut the wires and leave a pigtail for merging with the MS harness?

Either way is good. Since you are for sure going with the MS might as well make it easy to plugging it in with pigtails.

You gonna get those injectors cleaned and flow tested?

I debated for a while whether to go standalone, RobTune, or do a WRX harness merge. The WRX harness merge would have been nice because then I could use a Tactrix and Romraider like I am used to. But the RobTune is a lot cheaper and less work than the merge, and will give a satisfactory power level for a simple fun DD.

Edited by monkeyposeur

Either way is good. Since you are for sure going with the MS might as well make it easy to plugging it in with pigtails.

You gonna get those injectors cleaned and flow tested?

I debated for a while whether to go standalone, RobTune, or do a WRX harness merge. The WRX harness merge would have been nice because then I could use a Tactrix and Romraider like I am used to. But the RobTune is a lot cheaper and less work than the merge, and will give a satisfactory power level for a simple fun DD.

I think I should buy all new injectors. I dropped one of them and the bottom park cracked. Should I replace with the same ones?

If you cracked the plastic pintle cap on the bottom those can be replaced. If you send them to Witchhunter Performance that is part of their service which includes flow testing and replacement of all the o rings for $22/injector.

I just got a set of gray 440cc side feeds and two of the pintle caps were cracked. :(

The EJ20K injector flow rate is about 480cc iirc. So it really depends on what how much boost you are wanting to run and what size turbo. With 480cc you could probably run a 16g size turbo at 16 psi or so before you maxed them out. You could also swap in the grey 440ccs and still run up to 16 psi on a 16g.

If they flow test all right then you might as well use them unless you want more power. If you wanted to run the 550cc yellow 04-06 STi injectors (they are actually about 525cc but everyone calls them 550s) you would need different fuel rails or an adapter kit which Rob sells. They are super cheap too. You can get a refurbished set on ebay for under $100. You could run a TD05 16g size turbo at 18 psi with those. Probably even an 18g at lower boost.

The nice thing is you will have a standalone so you can run whatever size you want and set the injector size in the tune.

Hell yeah thanks for all that info! My goal now is to get it to at least start up with as close to an oem setup as possible. Then from there I can figure out what to upgrade etc.

It is just the cap that broke, so I will send all four in to get flow tested. Do you have a contact there I can reach out to when I send?

Yesterday I was very bored so I cleaned everything out of the back of the car. It was mostly spare interior parts and other assorted bullshit. I think with a nice shampoo the carpet will look super clean! Too bad my cargo cover was stolen, and I was poor when homie here had one for me.

UKS13XDh.jpg

My little girl wanted to pretend for a bit too, which is cool cause I do the same thing:

8I4wwT0h.jpg

BjM7ABIh.jpg

Hell yeah thanks for all that info! My goal now is to get it to at least start up with as close to an oem setup as possible. Then from there I can figure out what to upgrade etc.

It is just the cap that broke, so I will send all four in to get flow tested. Do you have a contact there I can reach out to when I send?

It's just witchhunter.com: http://www.witchhunter.com/

It's just witchhunter.com: http://www.witchhunter.com/

Cool, got it! Gonna send them off.

Parts I still need:

- Downpipe

- TMIC

- Turbo Inlet hose

- Various Vacuum hoses, can I buy a complete set?

- Motor Mount Bolts {Flange Nut 902370028)

- Right side headlight connector or harness ORDERED!!

- Strut Bolts: Need Four - (20540AA100)

- Some driveshaft bolts and bushings

Edited by Sublimejoe

Intercooler Issues:

This is the oem TMIC for my motor (ej20k) but it will not fit because the back of the intercooler will hit the firewall.

Fa3u6DAh.jpg

gAL0BYuh.png

My intake manifold has the idle air control valve (IACV) next to the throttle body, which makes it impossible to use basically all other top mount options due to the bypass valve being right in that spot.

YUU98gvh.jpg

vksx7xZh.png

My friend Mike Tracy pointed me in the direction of a build thread in which a gentleman used a 25mm spacer between the throttle body and manifold, thus creating enough room to use a top mount of my choosing.

Can anyone offer up any alternate ideas or suggestions? My ideal solution to this problem would be to have a top mount intercooler made to specs. I am not sure this is a thing in real life.

Some people just bash the firewall with a hammer but I wasn't too crazy about doing that on my SS.

So if the Forester tmic has the angled BPV it might fit. You probably can't use the Forester BPV though.

For my setup (which I have yet to install) I bought a BPV adapter plate like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stock-BOV-Adapter-for-FMIC-2002-Subaru-WRX-STI-FXT-BPV-blow-off-valve/162543888630?hash=item25d85ee8f6:g:fZYAAOSwx2dYE7Pe&vxp=mtr

It was a bit extra to have the custom nipple made. I could have made my own but I didn't feel like it.

I had to ask them to custom make one that had a 3/4" nipple since the stock SS BPV has a 3/4" inlet and outlet.

I would think that the adapter plate like I got would allow clearance pf the IACV.

I lifted this pic from bbslegacycentral from this thread: https://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38598&sid=801a7681f81ac91bbb335f6de6ebad5d

pan.thumb.jpg.7c236f9eaa89b97ed008447b2413f448.jpg

I am trying to buy a turbo inlet hose now and having a little trouble. There are a few no-name options that say they are for an EJ20k but no name brand stuff at all. Will an EJ20g one work for me? I am looking to replace my OEM piece that I broke.

iBDPUP1h.png

Thanks in advance everyone!

That inlet looks most similar to an 02-07 WRX/STi inlet, although a bit different. The angle of the large end that connects to the airbox/filter is not a 90* like on the wrx/sti.

The EJ20G inlet is almost identical to the EJ22T inlet and required a 90* upward bend on the actual turbo inlet. The JDM TD04 and TD05 that was on the EJ20G had a metal 90* on the turbo. The EJ20G/22T rubber inlets are really hard to find but not too hard to make one out of silicone parts from siliconeintakes.com.

What is going to matter is what kind of airbox setup you end up using. Do you have the EJ20k stock airbox? Or are you going to use a sort ram intake?

I think you could get a cheap noname ebay brand intake to work for an 02-07 like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-WRX-STi-Turbo-Inlet-Hose-02-07-Inlet-Intake-Silicone-Piping-Pipe-Kit/171174792308?hash=item27dad00c74:g:tMYAAOSwnDZT~gyn&vxp=mtr. Some people hate on these cheap ebay inlets but I have had no issues with mine and I am at 350 whp on a 20G-XT. It has all the same breather ports as yours.

So I guess my main point is it depends on what airbox/short ram setup you are going with. Short ram is OK, but I ditched mine after I went with a larger turbo. A true cold air intake is much better than a short ram, But a stock airbox setup is good for up until the 400+ whp range.