LegacyGT.com

Tablet PC as Carputer?

MatsuDano

So I have another nexus tablet for my sti and i was wondering what you guys use for the software. Timur is being interesting and i cant find any recent downloads for it. I still have the old timur rom but thats for 4.4.4 .

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

did you see this link : https://timur.mobi/timurs-kernel-v4/

Timur is saying that he will make the latest version of his kernel available for free download between dec 21 and jan 21 2017

I was trying to knock it out since i have free time to do it. I guess ill wait then.

My high mileage turd.

• 2 weeks later...
Just installed Timurs new rom. Its really nice and alot of the problems voiced earlier have been fixed ( such as usb dismounting) . Also adds native support for backup cams and other auto necessities. He kinda comes off as a dick saying dont email and him and you cant post for help in the reddit since if you havnt donated already. But what eves i guess. Edited by battelready

My high mileage turd.

did you see this link : https://timur.mobi/timurs-kernel-v4/

Timur is saying that he will make the latest version of his kernel available for free download between dec 21 and jan 21 2017

Oh shit! I guess people got tired of paying for open source software. Im glad this is free, finally. He originally said v1 of the new kernel would be free, then he went back on his word.

Just installed Timurs new rom. Its really nice and alot of the problems voiced earlier have been fixed ( such as usb dismounting) . Also adds native support for backup cams and other auto necessities. He kinda comes off as a dick saying dont email and him and you cant post for help in the reddit since if you havnt donated already. But what eves i guess.

He got banned from xda for being a dick and charging for something that's open source if I'm remembering correctly.

He is a pretty big ass hole and he did get banned from XDA for charing people for open source software. He basically pulled the same crap BMW did by saying it was customized enough to warrant being 'closed source'

Are there any alternatives....I just purchased a nexus7 and I'm wondering if there are any other roms worth looking at.

That sucks

I'm using SlimLP with a custom modified build of Elemental-X 4.5 on my N7 build. I like SlimLP much more than Timur's ROM.

Try playing with that ROM (or really anything that is AOSP 5.1/5.11) and seeing what you like. My build for EX is on the official thread a couple months back, I can help you find it if need be. I use Tasker scripts to handle startup/shutdown of the tablet with the car.

Are there any alternatives....I just purchased a nexus7 and I'm wondering if there are any other roms worth looking at.

That sucks

I mean like its free now and its pretty good for kernel to be used in a car. You can run a custom rom with it as well. But you can always try what solid snake said.

My high mileage turd.

• 2 weeks later...
So what are people using as their power solution. I was using a DC-DC stepper that terminated to two usbs but it crapped out on me. I also feel like it was not fully powering the usb hub making my music cut out randomly.

My high mileage turd.

I've heard that when I replace/change out the Nav system I'll lose some functionality in the gauges/info display. What would I be losing by removing the Nav system?

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

I've heard that when I replace/change out the Nav system I'll lose some functionality in the gauges/info display. What would I be losing by removing the Nav system?

SC

You'll lose the info displays (instant and avg MPG readouts, oil-change/maintenance interval reminders, and the ability to change your dome light/alarm settings from the nav interface).

As for the power supply, I built my own.

So what are people using as their power solution. I was using a DC-DC stepper that terminated to two usbs but it crapped out on me. I also feel like it was not fully powering the usb hub making my music cut out randomly.

I got this one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-12V-24V-to-5V-3A-5A-10A-15W-25W-50W-Step-Down-Regulator-Converter-Module-/261660399366?var=&hash=item3cec2cd706

bought the 25w unit. It's now been more than 6 months. No issue to report.

mmh. how does the oil change reminder work in the nav system? Does it require user input?

You enter a mileage interval (to the nearest 100mi), and when it gets near that it will send reminders every time you start the car until it's dismissed (I believe). You can also log multiple odometer trip values (I believe 5-10 entries for both Trip A and B). Also forgot that you can set the windshield wiper de-icer and rear windshield de-icer timeouts in the settings menu.

You'll lose the info displays (instant and avg MPG readouts, oil-change/maintenance interval reminders, and the ability to change your dome light/alarm settings from the nav interface).

Thanks!

I never even noticed the alarm/dome light options!

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

• 2 weeks later...
Wow. You might consider temporarily removing it yourself, then bring it back to them for the "free" recall. Probably wouldn't want them messing with your install anyway.
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

Anybody who has their tablets installed had the airbag recall done? Took my car in today, they took one look at my system and said it'll be $280 to remove that as the recall only covers "stock" systems.

LOL Sounds like a bunch of lazy a holes. Did you talk to the manager?

Frankly they have enough to do without trying to keep track of how your system is installed.

I'd remove it yourself. I have the 07 radio in mine and went back to the stock one for the recall as I didn't want to trip them up with the non-standard aux-in wiring.

That's a valid point. I did take mine to them without the nexus installed. I took as much out as I could to avoid the potential headache.

Edited by freaksavior

Frankly they have enough to do without trying to keep track of how your system is installed.

I'd remove it yourself. I have the 07 radio in mine and went back to the stock one for the recall as I didn't want to trip them up with the non-standard aux-in wiring.

Good suggestion, and that's what they said as well.

I have one of those vent boost gauges in there as well, and now that's not working anymore since they took a look at my car. I'll have to remove it all I suppose and reschedule.

I did end up going to another Subaru dealership, and showed the tech's my setup. I showed how simple it was to remove and he said it'd be an extra 30 minutes of labour, which I think is fair. I'll still likely remove as much as I can (without removing the headunit) and then just put it back afterwards.

sigh. I still have to do this. Not looking forward to it...

I feel ya. I kept hoping that a 2015 or 2016 Legacy 3.6r was available in my price range as that's what I'm getting next. Won't have to deal with this again, the tablet was great but I'm ready to move onto a stock config.

Anyone interested in my setup, lol?

I feel ya. I kept hoping that a 2015 or 2016 Legacy 3.6r was available in my price range as that's what I'm getting next. Won't have to deal with this again, the tablet was great but I'm ready to move onto a stock config.

Anyone interested in my setup, lol?

Probably

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Probably

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I think I'm going to remove the system permanently, as it makes no sense to keep it in for a dealer trade in. Once it's out, I'll post some photos and if someone wants to take it off my hands I would be open to that.

Has anyone used one of these? It's expensive so some feedback would be awesome. I am redoing my setup to be more permanent and efficient which requires me changing out to a micro usb cord so i can fire the unit up if/when it dies without having to remove it completely. As of right now i have a hole cut in my vent (which might still be necessary) but this looks pretty darn thin:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/262114109807?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

I can see id need to get some sort of female to female adapter to run my current OTG cable or change it as well.