LegacyGT.com

Nameless Downpipe: Official 5th Gen GT Install Thread

Ideally that's what you'd want, and that's what happens with at least some aftermarket units (not all of them open in vacuum), but the stocker seems to be biased in such a way that there's more force on the plunger on the charge side than on the reference side, and there's eventually enough of a difference that it can overcome the internal spring. It's open in vacuum because you have a stronger vacuum in the manifold after the throttle plate than in the charge pipe, by enough margin that it'll overcome spring pressure. Aftermarket BPVs seem like they have a lot more surface area on the reference side, which biases the valve closed even without a spring.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So maybe Tuning Alliance uses that bias to prevent overboost, and why they recommended the stock BPV over the turbosmart. Smart guys, if thats the case, then all this time someone could have simply reverted back to the stock BPV to prevent overboost.

Or you could be an asshole about it......typical subie brah response

I was trying not to be one by pointing out the hypocrisy in that statement, but flex those keyboard muscles...discussing how the BPV keeps our cars boost in check is very relevant to this thread, since it has become the "My car overboosts with the Nameless DP" thread.

Edited by FLlegacy

So maybe Tuning Alliance uses that bias to prevent overboost, and why they recommended the stock BPV over the turbosmart. Smart guys, if thats the case, then all this time someone could have simply reverted back to the stock BPV to prevent overboost.

So the answer is reverting back to the stock BPV, leaking boost and making the turbo work harder and less efficiently? That's as ridiculous as the "solution" of running a more restrictive exhaust. Nothing but bandaids.

Overboost that could kill your engine vs your turbo working a little harder, which ironically, upping the boost at all makes your turbo work harder. Turbocharging in itself is a band-aid for displacement, so it shouldn't come as a surprise it involves a lot of other band-aids. There is no perfect system, and ours has a lot of imperfect controls aimed at longevity over performance that is the reality some people need to wake up to.

Overboost that could kill your engine vs your turbo working a little harder, which ironically, upping the boost at all makes your turbo work harder. Turbocharging in itself is a band-aid for displacement, so it shouldn't come as a surprise it involves a lot of other band-aids. There is no perfect system, and ours has a lot of imperfect controls aimed at longevity over performance that is the reality some people need to wake up to.

You can follow that rational to some really ridiculous places. "Overboosting? Let's create some deliberate boost leaks. Don't worry, you'd make your turbo work harder anyway if you wanted more power so it's fine."

I want efficient power generation. If there's an inefficiency, then I want to correct it so that the components in the car do not have to work harder then necessary for the same result. That way, if I can turn up the boost, it can actually be used productively and not just to cover up an inefficiency.

The relevant question I have here, though, is should the Nameless TBE overboost on a stock BPV or an aftermarket BPV such as the BPV that Nameless offers? From what I understand, the answer should still be no to both. But, I'm a software developer, not an automotive engineer.

You can follow that rational to some really ridiculous places. "Overboosting? Let's create some deliberate boost leaks. Don't worry, you'd make your turbo work harder anyway if you wanted more power so it's fine."

I want efficient power generation. If there's an inefficiency, then I want to correct it so that the components in the car do not have to work harder then necessary for the same result. That way, if I can turn up the boost, it can actually be used productively and not just to cover up an inefficiency.

The relevant question I have here, though, is should the Nameless TBE overboost on a stock BPV or an aftermarket BPV such as the BPV that Nameless offers? From what I understand, the answer should still be no to both. But, I'm a software developer, not an automotive engineer.

It is a matter of how things work on paper and how they work in the real world. Theory vs practice, we want the theoretical but need to realize we have to live with the practical. The Nameless DP is not different, in theory it should work as promised. The promise in this case I believe was a bit bold and maybe premature, given how widely spread the buyers are.

Just because I would like for you guys to start a different thread so people don't have to search 83 pages of shit to find your conversations....yes I would like for you to start a new topic. I assumed a respectful yeah no problem brah would work, but apparently not.

Current Successful Installs - no creep, no overboost

Dreizehn - Nameless CBE, stock EBCS, stock non-ported turbo, 5280'

ApexoftheVortex - Invidia N1 Catback, Grimmspeed EBCS, stock non-ported turbo, sea level

Those with install issues...overboost

eckseleven - stock midpipe with AVO axlebacks, stock EBCS, stock non-ported turbo, sea level..... Notes: WDC set to 0

sm00vem00ve - Nameless CBE, Grimmspeed EBCS, ported hybrid 20G, altitude?..... Notes: upgraded WG spring

I will grow this list as info is filled in.

That's not at all what I said

So here is the whole story.

The first tune was done in November of last year shortly after the pipes were shipped out which cost me 500$ which is fine. It was boosting to about 24 psi and throwing the MAP sensor CEL so of course I went back to Moore and let them know. They said I'd need a 3-port EBCS and a retune which cost about 350$ not as fine but what choice did I have at this point? After that still exactly the same and boosting around 24psi throwing CEL. So after two failed tunes at Moore I wasn't exactly too keen on going back and paying them more money for another retune or whatever, especially after paying you all 750$ for the downpipe and the rest I paid Moore for the first tunes. So now broke and out of options I figured since it was Winter I would just go easy on the car and deal with it in the spring. When Spring rolled around I contacted TA. After Mike advised me to just swap the downpipe I got my hands on a catless TurboXS downpipe which I've been running for a few months now and over boost has not been an issue at all. All that being said are you guys really surprised that people are nervous to try installing this on their cars? And now in order to get the pipe to work we have to modify our turbos? Nobody has over 1000$ in their pocket to do your R&D for you.

I was basing my findings off of what I read on page 12 I believe. You also stated on there you were actually under boosting sometimes and that when it got colder in out side air temps it would hit 22psi sometimes. When the air gets colder any car with have in increase in boost. Its Science like I already explained.

Nameless Performance, Inc.

1061 Dale St Woodland, WA 98674

(360) 263-5001

http://www.namelessperformance.com

^^ My info in that post is obviously old and prior to Nameless's involvement. I was simply trying to track this but was not successful.

Yeah in fact I remember when that was posted, if you follow the conversation you can see I told Joe I wasn't having any issues then he said "No issues and not over and not over boosting?" To that I replied that I was indeed overboosting

This works for me. I'm looking at a January or February time-frame to have the budget for this. I have one question: Do you guys want to do the install? I'm interested in eliminating as many variables as possible, and having a different garage do the install introduces some. I have no power mods except for an AccessPort and my entire intake system is also currently stock, including all of my intercolor piping (I do have AVO pieces in my garage waiting to install).

The Nameless parts I own are the full TBE with 5" double walled axlebacks and the 2015 WRX BPV with the 1" adapter hose. Essentially, I should have pretty much the exact same setup as Ryan, except I have an AccessPort for tuning and logging instead of open source and I have the revised downpipe design. Hell, our cars are even the same color. Mine is just two years younger.

Shoot me an email Steven.R@namelessperformance.com Lets discuss some dates and get this moving!

Nameless Performance, Inc.

1061 Dale St Woodland, WA 98674

(360) 263-5001

http://www.namelessperformance.com

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys -

planning on having this installed/tuned Wednesday @ procom racing in toms river NJ http://www.procomracing.com/

Nameless DP

AVO TMIC

AVO Charge Pipe

Grimmspeed EBCS

Nameless or Tial BPV

Leaving stock exhaust after the downpipe for now, and stock everything else -

have the 3" DP to MP adapter, and have the new turbo to DP gaskets, have the totally stainless bolts, but i thought I read somewhere these might not work out - is there new thinking here?

what else would this group want to have other than logs from the tunes?

nameless - any specific recommendations to forward along to installers?

I was basing my findings off of what I read on page 12 I believe. You also stated on there you were actually under boosting sometimes and that when it got colder in out side air temps it would hit 22psi sometimes. When the air gets colder any car with have in increase in boost. Its Science like I already explained.

that's just not true, i run the same tune for summer and winter, 75 degrees vs -10, and i consistently max out at 17 psi. yes air is more dense at lower temperatures so the turbo doesn't need to spin quite as fast to make a given amount of boost but that is why wastegates, ebcs's, and bpv's exists because no car is going to see the same atmospheric conditions all the time. i realize that I'm not running an aggressive DP or tune so it's not exactly the same case as who you are talking about but boost should be able to be controlled at varied temperatures, especially with a product that is designed to increase wastegate flow.

Anyone ever install a catted down pipe to a stock exhaust? Is this self defeating? Just interested in performance not rumbling around like I am pulling around a coffee can behind my car. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone ever install a catted down pipe to a stock exhaust? Is this self defeating? Just interested in performance not rumbling around like I am pulling around a coffee can behind my car. Thanks.

Lots of guys have. The stock exhaust flows fine for stage2. When you go stage3 with a larger turbo you my see some nominal losses in potential power.

I had that for a while, it doesn't change the sound much. My wife didn't even notice. My tuner told me that it was probably costing me power only above 5k rpm.

I had that for a while, it doesn't change the sound much. My wife didn't even notice. My tuner told me that it was probably costing me power only above 5k rpm.

I've never been able to measure a gain from a CBE on the 5th gen, even when running 18G turbos. Nothing that stood out from the noise anyway. The stock system works surprisingly well and IMO all you need to change is the J-pipe.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Hi Guys -

planning on having this installed/tuned Wednesday @ procom racing in toms river NJ http://www.procomracing.com/

Nameless DP

AVO TMIC

AVO Charge Pipe

Grimmspeed EBCS

Nameless or Tial BPV

Leaving stock exhaust after the downpipe for now, and stock everything else -

have the 3" DP to MP adapter, and have the new turbo to DP gaskets, have the totally stainless bolts, but i thought I read somewhere these might not work out - is there new thinking here?

what else would this group want to have other than logs from the tunes?

nameless - any specific recommendations to forward along to installers?

Any updates? Curious to see how things went?

Yeah hit a snag with rusted coolant lines on the turbo, parts ordered - hopefully be in soon - will likely be Saturday at best for an update tune wise

****tuesday at best - parts not in stock

Edited by SJGT