LegacyGT.com

5EAT Ask your Questions!?!

For maximizing 5EAT torque handling and lifetime when modding your car I have a one of a kind bullet proof tranny made for me by HexMods, F1 VB and IPT higher stall TC, I also run midsize tranny cooler and I monitor temp in & out of the transmission - sometime it spikes which is a good feedback to back off and learn good habits.

If ppl are interested, we should put together a group buy of 3-5 transmissions - this may convince D@HexMods to do replicate my tranny, which is awesome.

It survived a 550chp EFR 7163 build and will be soon tested up to ~650chp

when I upgrade to a new built strocker motor and a twin scroll EFR 7163 turbo

HexMods stuffed as many clutch packs as our case can fit,

all were toleranced much better than IPT

Also, forgot to mention that my Center Diff has been cryo treated then REM polished.

If I were doing it all over gain I would also WPC treat all the gears and CD.

I'm very jealous! If I had that in mine, I would build my car into a muscle car crushing 1/4 mile beast. I would love to put the muscle car crowd to shame in a station wagon with a mountain bike on the roof rack! I wish frkkkevin would post up some 1/4 mile videos, he had just over 500awp on his 5EAT a while ago. I wonder how is 5EAT is doing now days.

I reached out to Kevin in the past to compare notes,

Hopefully he'll reply.

Note that his turbo spools up in the mid 4.5K which puts less stress in the tranny

The EFR 7163 single scroll spools about 500rpm sooner, and a twin scroll version

should spool up in the mid 3.5K on my 83mm crank 2.6L strocker - that should put the tranny to a real test - several people have grenaded their 5EATs imidietly after installing a twin scroll turbo - high load kills

I reached out to Kevin in the past to compare notes,

Hopefully he'll reply.

Note that his turbo spools up in the mid 4.5K which puts less stress in the tranny

The EFR 7163 single scroll spools about 500rpm sooner, and a twin scroll version

should spool up in the mid 3.5K on my 83mm crank 2.6L strocker - that should put the tranny to a real test - several people have grenaded their 5EATs imidietly after installing a twin scroll turbo - high load kills

My 20g twinscroll will hit 20psi at 3k.... Brake boost launches at 10psi too.

I haven't blown anything up, yet:redface:

Is anyone running the RWD/awd on their 5eat? IRRC it removes the center diff and leaves the clutch packs to transfer power to the front.

Pretty sure ive seen it done . Let me find it.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

My 20g twinscroll will hit 20psi at 3k.... Brake boost launches at 10psi too.

I haven't blown anything up, yet:redface:

Which turbo manufacturer? Kinugawa? I used to launch my VF36 TS @ 20PSI and it was a blast. My center diff didn't agree with me though and went on permanent vacation.

Am also very interested in this RWD/AWD conversion? Haven't heard of that one unless you are referring to the "buckaroo". (frank_ster's 3.8L Buick conversion)

Edited by Mortal2None

I got a question for you 5EAT owners out there. Does anyone else have to give it more gas in reverse to get it to move? It always feels like its labored and dosnt want to move .

My high mileage turd.

When last did you change your transmission fluid and the kms on it?

ATF was drained 5k miles ago when I installed the modified Valve body . Unfortunately it has 230k miles on transmission. Its always been tough , even when i bought the car.

My high mileage turd.

I got a question for you 5EAT owners out there. Does anyone else have to give it more gas in reverse to get it to move? It always feels like its labored and dosnt want to move .

The reverse ratio is slightly higher than 1st gear , so its normal to be a little bit more sluggish

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

HexMods, do you dabble in 4eat stuff too?

If not, you would probably have a good following in the 02-07 Wrx 4eat and probably Forester Xt communities. I know I would prefer a proper shift kit valve body from you than a gimmick from Ipt, Im sure all the 4eat owners would agree as well.

Hi,

I'm wondering how work the 5EAT torque converter :i s it like a manual clutch with a quick but progressive decoupling of each "side" from ON (1st) to OFF ( for changing the gear ) to ON (2nd) or is there a much more longer decoupling of each "side"

I'm aware there is a 100% coupling position like a manual clutch BUT for example I experienced a strange thing :

in 5th at 40m/h I stay at 2000 but if I brake just a little the RPM goes to 1500 and if immediately I release the brake and drive again at 40 I stay at 1500 RPM whithout any change of the gear ??????

Another example : in 5th at 50m/h at 2500 RPM if I release the accelerator 15 sec for example the RMP falls to less than 1000 RPM always in 5th ???

Thanks by advance

The 5EAT uses a traditional torque converter.

to see how it works.

What you are describing is the difference betwee the torque converter being locked and unlocked. In your first scenario at 40 mph, the torque converter stays locked up, and acts like a manual transmission that's in gear.

In your second scenario, the torque converter is unlocked.

What you are seeing is normal. There is a clutch that engages and disengages based on load. Watch the video.

^ maybe you should check youtube for torque converter function,

the lock and unlock of torque converter is controlled by the computer.

the lock up improves power throughput and efficiency making the automatic as efficient as a manual.

you could install a toggle switch to control the lockup but the computer will not be happy about it.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Next question. Sometimes the car 'forgets' to shift out of first and hits redline at 7200rpm.

It only happens when accelerating from a stop at WOT.

It doesn't happen every time, maybe 2% of the time it does.

Any ideas?

Yeah, I had that crap happen a few times, bone stock everything.

It's more or less normal. As in, it has been reported here by many different owners. I am guessing you are not stock? Basically the transmision doesn't respond quick enough for how fast the car revs up.

stg 3....

Its odd because it's not every time:spin:

$300 bounty for anyone that can crack the TCU?

Bringing this back up...

Is there anything that I can do the reduce the amount that it happens? The 1/2 shift over revs almost every time when launching now that I have a TS setup:spin:

Bringing this back up...

Is there anything that I can do the reduce the amount that it happens? The 1/2 shift over revs almost every time when launching now that I have a TS setup:spin:

it's only the 1>2 shift, right? you just have to shift manually, much earlier. like hit the lever at 5k. the computer shift decision speed isn't fast enough to catch up with how quicly the RPM are climbing.

i never romp on 1st gear, even in manual. when it doesn't over-rev, the RPM have climbed so much higher than when I hit the shift lever that there's a weird surge when it finally catches second gear. doesn't feel right, so i stopped doing it.