LegacyGT.com

Tribeca 25mm sway bars on 4th gen legacy GT?

This is the FSB setup.

The Forester end links are beefy and last a long time. A subaru mechanic I know recommended this swap and used the Forester end links without issue.

Here is the link for the bushings I ordered.

https://www.energysuspensionparts.com/9.5129_front

I have had Energy Suspensions sway bar brackets and bushing on other cars. All I can say is, come over to the dark side of real Subaru custom bushing. Those in the link are not garbage, but they are nothing special and were not very durable for my past applications when I used them. When you are ready to step up. Come see CKE SSP products.

CKE SSP product information and sales : chris.ckessp@gmail.com

I do not necessarily agree with this. Do you have any supporting data?

I am not trying to be a "richard", but tubular steel pipe stock is stronger (resisting bending and twisting) than the same size solid stock. You never see custom (4) link suspensions made out of solid stock, NEVER. It's always a tube

A steel bar (solid) the same size as a tube will definitely be stronger. Less material does not make something stronger.

Realistically you would never make suspension links out of a solid bar due to the fact that it does need to have a minimum diameter to make it ridged enough. A solid thin rod is very flexible. By the time you got to a big enough diameter if you were to use a solid bar it would weight a ton. So the right diameter followed by the correct wall thickness of a tub is the better way to do it, which is why it's what you see all the time.

Therefore a larger tube can be stronger then a smaller solid bar.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

A steel bar (solid) the same size as a tube will definitely be stronger. Less material does not make something stronger.

Realistically you would never make suspension links out of a solid bar due to the fact that it does need to have a minimum diameter to make it ridged enough. A solid thin rod is very flexible. By the time you got to a big enough diameter if you were to use a solid bar it would weight a ton. So the right diameter followed by the correct wall thickness of a tub is the better way to do it, which is why it's what you see all the time.

Therefore a larger tube can be stronger then a smaller solid bar.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Methinks this is correct. The specific stiffness (per unit weight) can be higher for a hollow tube versus a solid shaft; that is, a larger diameter hollow tube can weigh less than a smaller diameter solid shaft for the same torsional or bending stiffness, assuming material is the same. Given the same diameter, the solid shaft will be stiffer, but it will typically not be worth the increase in weight.

This is directly related to the radius of the tube wall from the neutral axis in bending (axis where bending stress is zero, as it transitions from compressive on one side of the tube to tensile on the other) in bending, and the distance off of the central axis in torsion. These two axes are the same for a member with circular cross-section. Essentially, material at a greater distance from the axis bears more load whether it's compressive/tensile in bending or shear in torsion, so you get very little benefit from a solid center which is close to the axis and doesn't react much load. I put together a sheet a while back that I can dig up to show this quantitatively if anyone cares, though it's not difficult to figure yourself.

Either way, the CKE SSP rationale regarding rear sway bar point reinforcement makes sense to me in terms of retaining OE performance of the rear cross-member, so that's probably the way I'll be going to see how I like it. I've had the AVO bracket in the past, so I'm curious whether my butt-o-meter is sensitive enough to notice a difference.

Edited by awfulwaffle

I am no engineer.

I am a suspension/chassis nut and a good observer. Lets talk about a few things. Gross Vehicle Weight. The Tribeca can be said to share the same chassis architecture as Gen5 Legacy/Gen4 Outback. The 'Beca is heavier. The is no real room to start packaging 28 or 30mm bars up front. The largest solid bar to date on an OEM Subaru is 26mm, packaged on the 2012-2014 3.6R cars. The 2.5 and 3.6 (2010-2012) have a 24mm bar.

Again, I was under the impression the Tribeca has a 26mm bar, but if it is 25mm, that's even better to my point. The tubular bar must be stronger than the solid steel bar. The Tribeca doesn't need less body control than a Legacy, it needs more. I doubt they used a hollow bar for weight reduction. A tubular sway bar is more expensive to make. Bending solid noodles is easy compared to a tube. Try rolling new brake lines.

When they re-designed the Legacy platfom for 2015. The sway bar diameter dropped to 21mm across all engine platforms. However, the endlink attaches to the strut, not the control arm.

True. One would expect that the design and materials of the hollow bar would be a "better" level or equal. Otherwise there is no advantage at all. It would make little sense to design and inferior tubercular bar at greater expense.

Has anyone pulled out their calipers yet?

Edited by traildogck

@Traildogck I'll measure the bar tonight and will post my results. I am not sold on AVO products either..... I think I mentioned above they were the only company that I was aware of at the time, but I am not surprised others have better and more creative solutions. :) With that said, I am glad you popped into this thread as I am interested in upgraded bushings for the front as I will be doing another bar on my brothers OBXT as long as we like the way this bar handles. I will be in touch to discuss bushing upgrades.

Womp womp.... Went to install the tribeca sway bar last night and it doesn't fit my OBXT. Turbo cross member causes it to hit when I try to install it with the curve of the sway bar going over the tie rods. If I try to install it with the curve going under the tie rods, the sway bar hit the a arm end link mounts. I wonder it fits on the LGT Sedans because of a wider stance up front?

Womp womp.... Went to install the tribeca sway bar last night and it doesn't fit my OBXT. Turbo cross member causes it to hit when I try to install it with the curve of the sway bar going over the tie rods. If I try to install it with the curve going under the tie rods, the sway bar hit the a arm end link mounts. I wonder it fits on the LGT Sedans because of a wider stance up front?

Stated as much in 3rd post in this thread...

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5852541&postcount=3

At least you have 05 NA that will benefit from it. Put a good RSB to match on it and it will corner like a GT but eat potholes like Outback.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Stated as much in 3rd post in this thread...

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5852541&postcount=3

At least you have 05 NA that will benefit from it. Put a good RSB to match on it and it will corner like a GT but eat potholes like Outback.

From what I understand it's the turbo wagons it won't fit on. I could be wrong, but there seems to be plenty of Legacy GT guys that have installed this bar. It would have fit if the sway bar mounts were a half inch further out on my OBXT.

Either way, as you pointed out, my brother will benefit from it! :) And yes he will need a bigger rear swaybar now.

From what I understand it's the turbo wagons it won't fit on. I could be wrong, but there seems to be plenty of Legacy GT guys that have installed this bar. It would have fit if the sway bar mounts were a half inch further out on my OBXT.

Either way, as you pointed out, my brother will benefit from it! :) And yes he will need a bigger rear swaybar now.

Sedan/wagon are the same from front bumper all the way to B pillar. But yes, that 05 NA will be a different vehicle! I do enjoy those sways on son's 05 NA OB.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

• 1 year later...