LegacyGT.com

heated windshield

attachment.php?attachmentid=285971

Just wanted to confirm something! Those 2 wires attached to the bottom right of my windshield indicate I have a heated windshield?

I cracked my windshield pulling the dashboard so it's time to make more offerings to the Subaru gods....

Any idea how much a new one should cost or how much places are charging to replace one?

Yes, all 4th Gens came with heater windshields.

I may be one of the 3rd gen owners that complained to Subaru. I asked why did the brochure show a 2000 black GT on the snow, yet you could not order it with a cold weather package.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

yeah it heats the mirrors and wipers at the same time. Great feature in the winter, cause no icing on the wipers and any snow that falls on the windshield acts like it is rain. I never bothered with propping my wipers off the windshield on snow days because of this feature

- Edit -

Yeah I was remembering incorrectly. It has been a while since using the heated wipers since I try not to drive my beloved wagon in the winter anymore for fear of road salt. Febreze Mee, you're right that it comes on with the rear defroster

Edited by jaylew

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

For the longest time I thought the mirrors were heated when activating this button as well. However, this is not the case. Recently, another OB owner reminded me (been awhile since I read the owners manual) that the rear defogger button heated up both the rear hatch glass and the mirrors. When testing our BP9 heated mirrors this was confirmed.

MILKRUN  - Click Here

For the longest time I thought the mirrors were heated when activating this button as well. However, this is not the case. Recently, another OB owner reminded me (been awhile since I read the owners manual) that the rear defogger button heated up both the rear hatch glass and the mirrors. When testing our BP9 heated mirrors this was confirmed.

Interesting note: when I install remote starts on these, I tap into the rear defrost wire at the bcm and it defrosts the windshield, mirrors and rear window all on the same wire during remote start. This always intrigued me, but the joy that it Just worked that way always overpowered my Curiosity so I’ve never probed the wires or looked up the diagrams to find out why.

I haven't looked at the wires myself. I did just find it in the owner's manual again. And as mentioned above, we confirmed the rear defroster/defogger button did in fact activate the heated mirrors. I think it's set for 15mins, but the dealer can adjust that to take away a time limit. The heated windshield is the same way.

I can tell you that on my 3.0R, which had remote start, it functioned exactly as you've described. Start it up with the key fob, and the windshield wiper defroster, the heated mirrors, and the rear glass defroster all come on. I thought that was the coolest thing ever!

MILKRUN  - Click Here

Any idea how much a new one should cost or how much places are charging to replace one?

Prices will vary, of course, but from what I've seen, you can pay around $200 for a made in China windshield, and up around $400 for a high quality, OEM replacement type windshield. I paid $185 2 years ago for what turned out to be a Chinese one [i didn't do any research ahead of time], it has held up well so far.

Many threads around here about windshields, here are a couple that bring up the different manufacturers...

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/cost-05-windshieldiiiiiii-269286.html

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/chinese-windshield-glass-210787.html

I haven't looked at the wires myself. I did just find it in the owner's manual again. And as mentioned above, we confirmed the rear defroster/defogger button did in fact activate the heated mirrors. I think it's set for 15mins, but the dealer can adjust that to take away a time limit. The heated windshield is the same way.

I can tell you that on my 3.0R, which had remote start, it functioned exactly as you've described. Start it up with the key fob, and the windshield wiper defroster, the heated mirrors, and the rear glass defroster all come on. I thought that was the coolest thing ever!

It sure is convenient! I was doing a huge install on my wife’s outback at the time (a requirement for her to relocate from az to wyo) with smart start, sunroof and window control and thought it was going to be a task to get the defrost options to work together. She needed the car so I put it in and just tapped the one wire and was blown away when it all worked on one wire. I even enjoyed an early morning beer to celebrate that victory.

really? that would have been good to know.... is that what the switch on the bottom left under the mirror buttons is for?

That gave me a good laugh.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

check out parts.subaru.com and see if the windshield is the same part number for both years. Thats the best way to confirm things like that. According to subaru its the same part number for 2008 and 2009. I would double check with your exact car and specs to make sure. But looks like it. 65009AG06A is part number, same as my year. Edited by Tehnation