LegacyGT.com

So apparently quick struts for Legacy are a thing now. . .

lockmedic

As soon as I saw this, it lost all credibility for me. I'm pretty sure the shocks are different on all these cars (2.5i vs LGT vs 3.0R vs wagon)

Fitment Information:

Excludes Outback Models

2005 SUBARU LEGACY 4CYL 2.5L Sedan / Wagon AWD

2006 SUBARU LEGACY 4CYL 2.5L Sedan / Wagon AWD

2007 SUBARU LEGACY 4CYL 2.5L Sedan / Wagon AWD

2008 SUBARU LEGACY 4CYL 2.5L Sedan / Wagon AWD

2008 SUBARU LEGACY 6CYL 3L Sedan AWD

2009 SUBARU LEGACY 4CYL 2.5L Sedan AWD

2009 SUBARU LEGACY 6CYL 3L Sedan AWD

I'm pretty sure the shocks are different on all these cars

The dampening is probably different, and I know the wagons have stiffer rear springs, but otherwise they bolt up.

I put an OEM wagon strut/spring set on my legacy and works just fine. Actually has even wheel gap compared to stock where the front is slightly higher.

As soon as I saw this, it lost all credibility for me. I'm pretty sure the shocks are different on all these cars (2.5i vs LGT vs 3.0R vs wagon)

Fitment Information:

Excludes Outback Models

2005 SUBARU LEGACY 4CYL 2.5L Sedan / Wagon AWD

2006 SUBARU LEGACY 4CYL 2.5L Sedan / Wagon AWD

2007 SUBARU LEGACY 4CYL 2.5L Sedan / Wagon AWD

2008 SUBARU LEGACY 4CYL 2.5L Sedan / Wagon AWD

2008 SUBARU LEGACY 6CYL 3L Sedan AWD

2009 SUBARU LEGACY 4CYL 2.5L Sedan AWD

2009 SUBARU LEGACY 6CYL 3L Sedan AWD

All the 4-cylinder Legacy sedan and wagons use the same exact struts (i.e. same body, same valving). This includes 2.5 non-turbo and 2.5GT. These models do use different springs, though, likely to compensate for differing weights and weight distributions.

The 08/09 3.0R Limited sedans uses Bilsteins, but you can use regular model shocks as replacements (as long as you change out the spring and top hats, too). The 09 non-Limited 3.0R uses the same struts as the 05-09 N/A and GT models.

I guess the takeaway is that the quick struts are a reasonable replacement for all of the models the vendor lists. I suspect that installing these onto wagons may result in a little bit of a saggy rear end. For $260 shipped, that might be OK for people on a tight budget that consider any shock that works OK as 'good enough'. Legacy wagons are relatively rare, so it shouldn't affect a lot of people.

With that said, I'll stick with KYBs and OE springs.

Pretty much.

I have a 19 year old girl I sold an 07 leggy 2.5i 5 speed for super cheap that was rough (keyed on all panels, $hitty tint, that sort of thing) as a first car. she's put 40k miles on it since and has decided she likes it and wants to keep it. . . just did wheel bearings, axle boots, and ball joints. Struts are getting kind of clunky at 165k so something like this might be a good buy for her as it would save a good chunk of labor vs. KYB's. . . and I/she could keep the old springs/top hats to throw onto some KYB's if she ever opted to go that route, or moved up to a GT of the same vintage.

I'd figured they were probably on par with Sensen in terms of quality/damping. Maybe you get 50k out of them, maybe not. It'll probably ride tighter than 150k mile OEM units. . . but wouldn't bank on how much or for how long.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived