LegacyGT.com

Cat back or tuner??

So i FINALLY got my 08 LGT after over a month of the heads getting rebuilt, belts and tensioners getting replaced and a slew of other issues i noticed when i test drove the car. I love the car and its time to start the modding. Money is tight so it will have to be done in stages, my question to the subject matter experts is where to start, exhaust, AP or open source tune? I found a AP v2 for 375 new but not sure if i should go this route or the taxtrix route. As far as a cat back there are a slew out so finding one isnt an issue. From what i have read, correct me if I am wrong, getting rid of the factory tune to a stage one would be the best first step. What maps come pre loaded on the AP and do you have to pay for different maps through cobb for more? Forgive the noob questions but i am new to the subie world, nto the same as it was 15 years ago and tuning the cars. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If your good with a lap top the taxtrix cable is the way to go. You can then contact a Tuner, I use http://www.tuningalliance.com Mike has a lot of background on these and a lot of other cars, he knows his stuff.

If you go Cobb AP a stage 1 will get you more performance and a little better mpg.

Mike just emailed me a new map for my AP for my wagon, I'll load it soon.

With open source after you get the map you'll want to data log and end the Tuner the log, he'll make adjustments and send them to you.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I say accessport and exhaust are best things to do first. Fairly easy installs and provide the most gain right away . They are also the basis for anything you do after you install them to get good power results

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Downside to the opensource is lack of computer. The one I use is a gov't laptop that I cant install software on. I thought 350 was a good price on the AP, I mean I may be looking at the wrong thing the tactrix is still almost 200 from the site. Are the capabilities that much greater with open source vice AP? Do you have to pay for additional OTS maps for the AP or would I only need the ones that come preloaded. I appreciate all the advice and knowledge.

Downside to the opensource is lack of computer. The one I use is a gov't laptop that I cant install software on. I thought 350 was a good price on the AP, I mean I may be looking at the wrong thing the tactrix is still almost 200 from the site. Are the capabilities that much greater with open source vice AP? Do you have to pay for additional OTS maps for the AP or would I only need the ones that come preloaded. I appreciate all the advice and knowledge.

I work in IT and may be able to find an old XP laptop I could send you, you would need to pay shipping however. Lemme look around a bit!

So I just had another random CEL episode with the car. I was expecting this to happen, I mean I dont expect nothing to go wrong after the motor is completely rebuilt, thats what a warranty is for. I think I am going to spend the money and get the AP for the added use of the code reader as well as everything else. I dont like the idea of having to keep a computer in the car at all times if something happens. I most definitely appreciate the offer though, now to find out why im throwing codes of cyl 1,2 and 3 misfires ill be happy. No driveability issues at all, the CEL just came on roday at the most random time today. It did it the day I picked up the car then cleared after a vaccum line was repaired.

Just get an accessport man its so much easier then all that taxtrix stuff. And they have support in case something goes wrong and just about everyone uses them so you can easily get what you need off their website

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

accessport is on the way. I got the V2 bc i found it for 355 brand new, couldnt justify the other 350 for the V3, i know of all the differences and if I could have afforded it I would have done it, but on an enlisted military budget i take the deals where i can. Does anyone have any stock datalogs i could use as a reference for where the car should be at? I know all cars are going to be different but there should be no reason why im only getting 125 miles on half a tank of gas, not running rough or popping any CELs, so something with the numbers has to be off.

Cat-back, it was the best mod I did and my car is stage 3 on e85.

Power is there only when you want or need it, while the subaru rumble is there all the time and everyday you drive it.

Best bang for your buck, cat-back

WELLL.... Maybe in your case.... You are @ Stage 3 (I assume that means - Larger Turbo/ Injectors & Fuel Pump / Aftermarket Downpipe & Aftermarket TMIC or Front Mount) - so it probably helps at that point...

BUT - for a stock car it's the last thing that helps for performance - so NO NOT "Best Bang for the Buck" (Actually probably the most expensive for the the least horsepower (IE "Worst Bang for the Buck")

OP - spend your $ on a tune - Most Stage 1 Tunes are ~$350 (open source) or get the AP and it means little more $, but as noted above it really helps - after that it's an aftermarket down-pipe (and re-tune if done at a later point in time than the 1st tune);)

FYI - There's a strong consensus that the Stock Exhaust is good until ~400 WHP so it's not limiting things until at least stage 2+/3...:cool:

Archived