LegacyGT.com

2020 Legacy & Outback Detailed Suspension

• 1 month later...
Is there a way to make the car hold more weight in the trunk without the car squatting. It there coil-overs or some kind of load levelers you can put on the car to help with the extra weight.

white there are a few notable changes, it is really nothing more than an evolution of the previous 2 generations setup.

the MAJOR fail on the 2010+ setup is changing the rear LCA bushing from horizontal to vertical.. they simply do not hold up as well as the older design that was horizontal does.

on the plus side the relocation of the front end links is a notable improvement.

the MAJOR fail on the 2010+ setup is changing the rear LCA bushing from horizontal to vertical..

The 2005-2009 has rear horizontal LCA in the front suspension. I don't know if I would call it a major fail. Subaru obviously has their reason why they have been doing it for 15 years. At the very least, they force most owners to change the ball joints. Except for rust, the LCA isn't that hard to replace either.

^ it makes the ride more compliant but the bushings get pounded into oblivion... as they take both lateral (side to side) and up and down loading... the older style only had to deal with twisting motions and not the side to side movements.

LCA replacements are common on cars that use this type of setup... aka pillow bushings

^ it makes the ride more compliant but the bushings get pounded into oblivion... as they take both lateral (side to side) and up and down loading... the older style only had to deal with twisting motions and not the side to side movements.

LCA replacements are common on cars that use this type of setup... aka pillow bushings

I was looking to only do something in the rear so the car does not squat when you put heavy things in the trunk.

So, how would you do this on the 2020 Legacy Limited.

• 3 months later...

I have a little update for everyone. I had a Subie shop here in town put the 2020 Outback rear coil springs on the 2020 Limited Legacy. I then put about 200 pounds in the trunk and made a 600 mile trip to California. About 100 miles of it was thru really sharp right and left turns. My assessment of the ride and handling was so much better handling and a improvement in the car it was not the same car.

First the handling in turns with the old coil springs made me feel like I did not have full control of the car in the rear. With the Outback coil spring on the car I was doing between 40 to 50 miles and hour around real sharp turns and the car hug the corners like a race car.

The other thing I notice was the car with normal driving around town with the original coil spring felt real springy in the back and not sold like the front of the car. If you went over a bump the rear of the car would sway all over the place and not be in time with the front of the car. With the 2020 Outback coil springs on the car and hitting a bump with the hole car going up and down evenly making it a lot better ride.

What the Subie mechanic told me that the rear of my car was lower then the front about 1" and after installing the Outback coil springs the rear sat about 1 1/4" higher then the front. What else I notice is the Angle reading in the car was more accurate when going up and down hills.

This is just my opinion but this was the best change to the car I be leave I have made.

• 2 months later...
I have a little update for everyone. I had a Subie shop here in town put the 2020 Outback rear coil springs on the 2020 Limited Legacy. I then put about 200 pounds in the trunk and made a 600 mile trip to California. About 100 miles of it was thru really sharp right and left turns. My assessment of the ride and handling was so much better handling and a improvement in the car it was not the same car.

First the handling in turns with the old coil springs made me feel like I did not have full control of the car in the rear. With the Outback coil spring on the car I was doing between 40 to 50 miles and hour around real sharp turns and the car hug the corners like a race car.

The other thing I notice was the car with normal driving around town with the original coil spring felt real springy in the back and not sold like the front of the car. If you went over a bump the rear of the car would sway all over the place and not be in time with the front of the car. With the 2020 Outback coil springs on the car and hitting a bump with the hole car going up and down evenly making it a lot better ride.

What the Subie mechanic told me that the rear of my car was lower then the front about 1" and after installing the Outback coil springs the rear sat about 1 1/4" higher then the front. What else I notice is the Angle reading in the car was more accurate when going up and down hills.

This is just my opinion but this was the best change to the car I be leave I have made.

Any chance you could post pics of your setup?

Any plans to replace your front springs?

Any chance you could post pics of your setup?

Any plans to replace your front springs?

No plans in changing the front springs. They are working great. I changed the rear ones because the back of the car set about 2 in lower then it should of. If I put any weight in the trunk the car would sway all over the place. Was scary to drive. Now the car preforms the way it should. The other thing I notice was my headlight was pointing up at times and with anything in the trunk I was getting flashed all the time.

The Outback spring did the trick and the car handles now like a dream.

I will post pictures of the side of the car so you can see the difference.