LegacyGT.com

fixed replaced 3 injectors not the fourth

Hi,

I have been having rough idle and intermittent misfire on cylinder 3. Troubleshooting showed everything OK, coils swapped, injectors swapped, smoke test showed no leaks. Leakdown and compression test also showed good. Tuner suggested fuel injectors so I decided to take them out, test and reman them.

I got out 1,2,3 but the screw on 4 was stripped and I couldn't get it out. Sent the 3 to the injector guy and he was able to bring 2,3 up to spec but not 1, so I bought 1 new injector.

So reinstalled the old retuned injectors on 1,3 and the new injector on 2.

After resetting ECU I was getting misfires on all cylinders but it seems like 1,3 have settled down a little. Now getting some misfires on 2 and 4 is going to roughness 100 to 0 and back to 100.

Would it be expected that all the injectors were flowing low before and now that 3 are good 4 may still be running low flow and thats why I am getting so many misfires in 4 now?

It was really hard to start, sometimes wouldn't turn over. Could this be unburnt fuel causing added resistance in 4?

Have you sprayed that screw with PB Blaster or Aero-kroil fluid ? I have found that a pair of needle nose vise grips can grab the sides of screws and be used like a open end wrench to loosen the screw.

They say a 50/50 mix of acetone and automatic tranny fluid works well too as a penetrating fluid.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I will try a little more.

Is it likely that not cleaning/replacing the 4th injector will cause such problems that the car runs so poorly?

Also, could the extremely poor running just be a function of the relearning? I have only run for less than 10 minutes and did disconnect the battery. However there is a really distinct gas smell after running.

• 1 month later...

Was no longer getting misfires but still rough idle. This was happening in both closed and open loop, even when just starting.

My air filter was pretty dirty and after I changed it things seemed to get alot better. This was a week ago. The idle is smooth in open loop and OK in closed loop until it starts going below about 800 RPM. Its still rough down there.

My af learning #1 A,b,c,D ARE AROUND 3, 11, 5, 5. I datalogged a drive. Something still seems not right. My boost error seems really large. Definately better but not quite there yet. If anyone sees something in the log thats awesome.

romraiderlog_20180826_155409.csv

Watching live data, what roughness/misfire counts do you see at idle, 2500, 4000?

What were the compression and leakdown test results?

Have you logged TGV & AVCS angles?

Sorry if any of this is answered in the log, I'm on my phone.

Rough idle might be that the ECU has to re-learn. A few warm-up/cool-down cycles might take care of it, so just take out the car for some long enough drives cycling through the rpm ranges.

If you had the battery disconnected while working on the car this is normal.

453747.png

Archived