LegacyGT.com

ER SS - off and on

bman

I got the "ABS" and "Err SS" on my dash the other day. I pulled the codes: C0106, C0107 (Rear Left, Front Right - speed sensors). A day later it went away. It now came back.

Should I replace the sensors or wait for them to go away again? Could it be something else?

A day later and the warning nights went away. I checked for codes anyway...C0102 - Rear Left Speed Sensor. I'm guessing I can wait to replace when the lights stay on for more than a day?

Yesterday it rained and "Err SS" & "ABS light". Today nothing. I pulled the code "C0106" (rear left) again.

What do I clean the sensor with? Will carb or brake cleaner work? Windex? ArmorAll?

It may be that all you need to do is clean and reinstall the sensors. The sensor needs to be the right distance from the tone ring and free of debris, especially rust and iron chips.

informenter-marker-1.png

There is no tone ring. The wheel bearing has an embedded chip that the sensor reads for speed. There are no magnetic pick ups at the wheels due to electrical RFI with the hi speed can bus comm system.

You can clean them, but you should not find anything more than a small amount of "gunk" and maybe some rust. Being in Boston, your mount bolts (10mm head) are probably very rusted and wont be fun to remove from the knuckle.

If cleaning them, just wipe with a clean towel. They are just plastic sensors. Be nice to the wire. You can not inspect the chip in the bearing. If you follow the SM flow chart and the sensors check out, you replace the bearing. Dont use aftermarket bearings, the embedded chip tends not to work and you are right back where you started. Use OEM bearings.

what's "the SM flow chart"?

It sounds like you don't think cleaning the sensors are going to change anything. Should I just buy new sensors and change them out?

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem with the same sensor. The axle had a dust sleeve that protects the bearing and it got slightly bent Inward, causing rubbing on the sensor. It was rubbed thru pretty bad and shorted,causing a permanent er ss showing on the dash. It started intermittent, and it took me too long to find the problem. The sleeve on the axle got straightened out,new sensor put in,no more codes.

Zack K.

I had the Err SS message appear on my LGT, also left rear. My issue was I had inadvertently cut the wire inside the cabin while running some wires (I think when I put the trim back on around the rear door). May want to check that too.

• 2 weeks later...

When I drive the car in the morning there's no lights. After a few miles "ABS" and "Err SS". It was just on rainy days now, it's even on dry days. Both codes "C0106", "C0107".

I'm guessing it's either the speed sensor or bearings or both. I will clean and inspect the sensors. I didn't do anything to either the Front Right or Rear Left sensors recently. I swapped Summer-Winter tires but, that was months ago. I'm not hopeful that cleaning them will fix the problem.

I'm looking at the prices for Sensors and Bearings. RockAuto has the Sensors $40-$80. Bearnings $70-$90. I checked the pricing from 1stsubaruparts and the Sensors were about the same but, the bearings were close to $200. That's twice as much?!?!

Am I going to regret getting a Timken, Moog, SKF bearing?

In my experience, yes, you will. OEM bearings are the only ones I can recommend. Too many issues with the ABS embedded pick up on the aftermarket bearings.

I have a full set of brand new in the box OEM front bearing/hub assemblies for sale now for 1/2 price.

I'm thinking that I should start small and work up. Like replace the Sensors and if that doesn't work, replace the bearing hubs.

Is there a difference in the Sensor makers? RockAuto has $35 for the Standard and $60 for NTK. I can order Bosch or Duralast local for $60. Or I can get OEM for more than that.

• 3 weeks later...

:nono:

1. The speed sensor bolt broke. More than half is sheared off in the hole

2. The speed sensor broke. The tip is halfway down the hole

I know when I'm beat. I need someone with better tools than me. I'm considering going to the stDealership to have them fix this mess. :icon_cry:

For now, I've zip-tied the sensor to the brake line so it doesn't hit the wheel or axle.

Archived