LegacyGT.com

San diego actual ethanol content

samuel082799

I'm in the process of converting my 2005 subaru obxt to an ethanol blend. From the info I have gathered so far, e85 is regulated to be between 51% and 83% depending on the climate and time of year.

Given that san diego doesn't have the same cold weather issues as say Colorado for example there isn't a need for 51% ethanol in winter like there is in colder climates.

All the info I can find about actual ethanol content is from 2013 and earlier where the regulation was 70 to 85%. So that info isn't very helpful now.

I'm wondering if anyone who lives in the San Diego area can tell me what is the lowest actual ethanol content they have seen. I speculate it may not go below e70, but thats just speculation.

Hopefully there is someone on this forum who can help answer my question.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G770U1 using Tapatalk

It’s pretty easy to test. Do you run BTSSM? You could run an ethanol sensor with it if you create a custom field.
I just use romraider, but I'm going to play around with a Bluetooth arduino and wire it to a lcd display, and I'll be able to use an app on my phone to read the ethanol content. I know you can wire into tgv but mine are being used for wideband and fuel pressure.

I'm just trying to find out if I should make an e50 base tune or if I can make an e70 tune if that is the lowest supplied in my area.

according to google, this is the contact email for e75 distributor in your area - info@pearsonfuels.com

An email to them will give you the answers you seek. Their website says "E85 or Ethanol Flex Fuel is a renewable energy made by fermenting and distilling corn. E-85 contains mix of 51% – 83% ethanol with unleaded gasoline. Flex Fuel should only be used in Flex Fuel ready vehicles."

according to google, this is the contact email for e75 distributor in your area - info@pearsonfuels.com

An email to them will give you the answers you seek. Their website says "E85 or Ethanol Flex Fuel is a renewable energy made by fermenting and distilling corn. E-85 contains mix of 51% – 83% ethanol with unleaded gasoline. Flex Fuel should only be used in Flex Fuel ready vehicles."

I sent them an email, ill post there response here when I hear back.

if you really want e85, there's always this option - https://vpracingfuels.com/product/x85l/?c=217

Racers I've met who use e85 buy it by the barrel and break it down into 5 gallon jugs for actual usage. Or you can bring two barrels to the track (the legal federal limit) and pump it yourself.

Here's their california office

VP WEST

Murrieta, CA

T: 951 457 6211

F: 951 696 5577

vppacific@vpracingfuels.com

if you really want e85, there's always this option - https://vpracingfuels.com/product/x85l/?c=217

Racers I've met who use e85 buy it by the barrel and break it down into 5 gallon jugs for actual usage. Or you can bring two barrels to the track (the legal federal limit) and pump it yourself.

Here's their california office

VP WEST

Murrieta, CA

T: 951 457 6211

F: 951 696 5577

vppacific@vpracingfuels.com

Maybe if it was a racecar, $7 a Gallon is a lot for a street car, when I can make whatever comes out of the pump work

• 2 weeks later...
I never saw below e70 in Cali. Several stations regularly sold e90. If you have a flex fuel kit, you can see your ethanol content live. However, what you are considering is not legal although many do it.
Thanks thats the answer I was looking for. Im not too worried about legality though.

Shell at San Marcos Blvd/Rancho Santa Fe sells e90 all year long. We used those pumps for dyno tuning and testing. All others sold varying content levels of e70-e90. Most stations have an internal corporate "rule" not to sell below e80. Plenty of availability.

Keep in mind you can gain power, but lose fuel economy. Less energy in e85, but more octane and it burns cooler. If not tuning and mixing fuel, be careful not to exceed 15% e85 to 85% ACN91.

Shell at San Marcos Blvd/Rancho Santa Fe sells e90 all year long. We used those pumps for dyno tuning and testing. All others sold varying content levels of e70-e90. Most stations have an internal corporate "rule" not to sell below e80. Plenty of availability.

Keep in mind you can gain power, but lose fuel economy. Less energy in e85, but more octane and it burns cooler. If not tuning and mixing fuel, be careful not to exceed 15% e85 to 85% ACN91.

Its not a daily, I mainly want to switch for the cooler temps for safety, I do my own tuning though so ill start with e70