LegacyGT.com

New alternator

I need a new alternator. What is a good one? Should I replace the serpentine belt at the same time?

I tend to hear that Duralast is typically the better choice. Just make sure you buy it new. I know that at Autozone you get a lifetime warranty with a new one. I'd assume that other big auto parts stores would do the same as well. I don't know much about Bosch's alternators, but I wouldn't be too worried with them. As for the serpentine belt, I think you'd be better off doing it. It's cheap and better to get it over with while messing with the alternator.

Probably OEM. The part number is 809221140.
This or go with the gates 651 PN... See my posts in the "what did you do" thread about issues with the 650 PN belt... I'm attempting it again today with a continental 5060650 PN belt that came in a TB kit and will update how it goes.

This or go with the gates 651 PN... See my posts in the "what did you do" thread about issues with the 650 PN belt... I'm attempting it again today with a continental 5060650 PN belt that came in a TB kit and will update how it goes.

Speaking of belts again, I had recommended trying a Continental Elite Poly-V (Gatorback) belt in that thread. I just learned that Continental no longer manufactures those belts, which is really disappointing. Whatever stock is left out there in the wild is all there is. I need to see if I can find one for my Legacy while I still can.