LegacyGT.com

Exhaust thermal coating

Nonamedude

So I'm looking to replace my worn up pipe and stock down pipe and was looking at the grimmspeed units (08 OBXT manual stock turbo).

I understand the thermal part of all of it. Plenty of info there. But with all the rusty cars rolling around Detroit I'm more wondering if it'll help keep the parts nice for longer. I see mixed reviews on grimmspeeds coating, what about wrapping it? Since it'll be hot enough to not trap water? Or getting it coated locally? Whose got salty road experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you DEI wrap it only do the upper area, to keep some of the road water and salt treatment off it.

Some say don't heat wrap it.

you may want to look into having it ceramic coated, google search for places near you that do that.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If you DEI wrap it only do the upper area, to keep some of the road water and salt treatment off it.

Some say don't heat wrap it.

you may want to look into having it ceramic coated, google search for places near you that do that.

Yea that was my thoughts. Grimmspeed offers it in a thermal coating but idk if anyone in the rusty area has experience with it vs actual ceramic coating. If the grimmspeed stuff isn't great I'll save the $150 to put towards a different coating.

I'm also having trouble even finding if ceramic coating is any good. For the money if it's only gonna last a year or two, I'll just pull it out and hit it with vht every year.

I can't comment on the Grimmspeed coating vs ceramic, but my GS coated uppipe is coming off in November and will be up for sale around that time if your interested in waiting for a cheaper used one.

A resounding yes. I was thinking of waiting until black Friday sales and everything from them is sold out anyway.

What are you moving to? Pm me when you're ready to sell.

From the reading I’ve done on this over the years it seems like a lot of the ceramic / thermal coatings out there are less than durable in the long run. Guess that’s why Killer B uses Swaintech which is seems to be the gold standard, (although expensive). I’ll be moving over to a Swaintech coated Killer B in the off season as well this winter.. Kinda bummed I’ll lose the rumble going from stock manifolds to equal length but it’s time :)

Yea the swain tech certainly seems to be the way to go for performance durability. I've read good things about it on everything but aesthetics lol.

My real concern is I think it's cost prohibitive for my build. $50/ft estimate is half the cost of a replacement dp and since I'm running a vf-46 and maybe one day might get a vf-52 idk that the performance/durability/cost is there.

There's a local place that does ceramic thermal coatings at $12/ft. It also can be done in colors for when I get new mufflers (yea I know it's a ridiculous thought.)

I've also realized being a floridian, rust is like bears. I can't figure out if running into it is not a big deal or a certain death sentence and therefore it terrifies me.

Legit horrified of running into a bear.

wrapping a dp can lead to rust as the moisture is trapped in the wrapping. Coating vary, you get what you pay for.

if replacing the dp soon, save your wrap/coating money for the upgrade? jmp is back in business, so you can order the turbo upgrades now and start pricing the correct dp.

In pacnw, we're afraid of hitting a yeti/big foot. The movie "Harry and the Hendersons" covers that fear more in depth.

Well the plan was to get the new dp coated. I'll be coming from a stock dp and since I've dropped a lot of elevation and gotten 93 I figure might as well get a new tune with a non stock dp.

The question is whether coating the dp will help with rusty prevention, in the long term. Like 5+ years. I don't foresee myself upgrading any other power/engine parts in the next two or three years. I want to do suspension, wheels, audio stuff next.

Well just to follow up. Best I can find is thermal coatings are a mixed bag at best. Painting seems to do OK for maybe a year.

JMP said he's never been impressed with a thermal coating except one time he had an 88 firebird with jet hot coating that looked brand new. They also warranty for life corrosion and will restore light corrosion as well.

But their quote for a muffler more than 2ft is $190. So I guess I'll just buy replacement parts every ten years at that price lol.

Just wanted to update this as I got an actual quote from jet hot. $288 for the downpipe using the best stuff and a satin black top coat.

422 for the muffler. Outside only. Each. Needless to say I can buy them again twice over. Maybe if it was a show car. That was for the nameless axleback with mufflers. But I'm guessing it would be similar for anything else.

Killer B holy header with their v-band up-pipe combo, both with swaintech ceramic coating. I'll let you know when it's off.

Is that Internal or External waste-gate?

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder