LegacyGT.com

I need help to quiet a Perrin down pipe

gear_monkey

Hey folks,

Spent ALL day at the shop yesterday getting Sti up and Perrin catless dp installed with tune on my 05 GT.

It's a whole new car performance wise but there is no way I can handle the noise. It is way too loud in the cabin.

I was told there would be a throatier rumble but this is more than I can stand. This is my daily driver/family car and I feel like I made a huge mistake.

Is there any way to quite this down? If not I'm going to have to return to stock down pipe...I feel like an idiot.

Get a catted downpipe.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Get a catted downpipe.

This. High-flow cat = stock sound.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Mine really didn't get any louder with a catted downpipe and stock catback, at least not in the cabin. Midpipe made it a little more raspy and then the EL header introduced a little drone.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Adding the Cobb HFC DP to my stock exhaust opened up the throatiness a bit, you could definitely hear more exhaust. Going to the Perrin mid/Y and Prodrive cans, really changed the tone, even with a resonator in the mid-pipe.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I have a full catless system, not loud at all......what are you running for the mid/Y and exhaust cans?

It is a Perrin catless down pipe connected to my OEM exhaust just before the y split.

I have found at least a little of the problem..the dp is touching the firewall as it makes its way out of the turbo.

Would a resonator be the best noise solution? My real complaint is the turbo whine that is really loud now.

It is a Perrin catless down pipe connected to my OEM exhaust just before the y split.

I have found at least a little of the problem..the dp is touching the firewall as it makes its way out of the turbo.

Would a resonator be the best noise solution? My real complaint is the turbo whine that is really loud now.

The Perrin is a terrible fit. Dump that pipe and get anything else......even a gutted OE DP.

i'm running a cobb catted DP on my 12 WRX Wagon w/ stock cat-back. it sounds stock.

eventually i'll get either the SPT or Greddy SP Elite CBE to get a little bit more rumble.

i made the same mistake with the Invidia Q300. LOL. got a ******* ticket with it, took it off two days later. ROFL. i feel your pain.

i have the Cobb SF intake + Box and Cobb Catted DP w/ a Protune from Kaizen. i'm happy with it performance wise... 249HP and 288ft pounds to the wheels... i just want a little bit more rumble.. not noise.

:D

/\__/\

(='.'=) This is Cat. Copy and paste Cat

(")_(") to help him gain world domination.

Yeah I had no troubles at all. Even with a wrapped and sprayed downpipe only ONE of the turbo bolts was hard to get a wrench around. but other than that no complaints.

max cap. get a SPT and you will have a large grin on your face

Yep, my Invidia catless dp and stock exhaust on the wagon is to quiet for me.

Invidia has great fitment.

Archived