LegacyGT.com

Alternate AMP wiring route - unused grommet

rao

• 8 months later...

I can't get from the grommet (under the dash) to up by the hood release cable area (where the fender & body opening is exposed under the hood. Tried using the wire and a snake in both directions...

'06 LGT...

Any ideas???

Thanks - JER5EY

• 1 month later...
I can't get from the grommet (under the dash) to up by the hood release cable area (where the fender & body opening is exposed under the hood. Tried using the wire and a snake in both directions...

'06 LGT...

Any ideas???

Thanks - JER5EY

I just did this (ran an 8-guage wire into the center console area

for a heavy-duty always-on lighter outlet). It's not quite as

straightforward as I'd imagined from the OP, but still worthwhile.

I went ahead and removed the left-front wheel and pulled most of

the pop-its and screws at the rear end of the wheel-well liner; then

I pulled the liner aside to be able to route the wire. I think it was

easier doing it this way. (Be careful crawling under there with

no tire on the car !!)

I also found (I think someone else reported this too) that the "spare"

grommet already had something going through it. So I just jammed

the wire into the same grommet hole as where the hood-release cable

runs, and it seemed to work fine and still looks pretty much air-tight.

Edited by RustyShackleford

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
hmmmm... i dont think it would (80% sure it wont), but it will be a really tight fit, plus if it does, which i doubt, its gonna be a pain in the a** to run it under the carpet. specially when u get to the door beam. i ran a 4 gauge to my amp, which delivers plenty of power for my 2 10" subs.... Edited by Jterp

hmmmm... i dont think it would (80% sure it wont), but it will be a really tight fit, plus if it does, which i doubt, its gonna be a pain in the a** to run it under the carpet. specially when u get to the door beam. i ran a 4 gauge to my amp, which delivers plenty of power for my 2 10" subs....

I was kinda thinking of removing the carpet and run all my wires under the carpet.

But I am hooking up 2 amps. one for the speakers and one for the sub. Im kinda tempted to use 4 gauge though. not sure what im gonna do yet.

I was kinda thinking of removing the carpet and run all my wires under the carpet.

But I am hooking up 2 amps. one for the speakers and one for the sub. Im kinda tempted to use 4 gauge though. not sure what im gonna do yet.

well at first i wanted to change my speakers and buy an amp... but the stock speakers sound pretty good and are decently loud once you get an aftermarket head unit...

There are thousands of them ;)

My posts are all serious and all helpful.

The real old Jedimaster and godwhomismike are pretty hilarious too. They were sooooo serious and polite at first. :lol:

It is still ugly.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 years later...
I'm going to try the fender well grommet routing method and down the drivers side with 2 1/0 wires for a trunk battery. Wish me luck. If anyone has a better idea let me know. It could be beneficial to set up a protected route under the car for alcohol injection line, oil accumulator and battery lines. But you know, all of these options are difficult.

Well it worked out great in fact. Took most of a Saturday to do a nice job with just running the 2 wires. Fender grommet top position, down the drivers side. Tucked by the B pillar by the drivers seat belt bottom without disturbing the look or function of the area. The plastic shrouds that are stapled to the carpet and run the length of the door jams needed sections cut out. I mostly followed the fuel rails. I even ran a boost gauge line while I was at it :-)