LegacyGT.com

05 LGT 5spd EJ257 Type RA Build

New to the forums, I've been lurking and searching on here since I purchased my 2005 Subaru Legacy GT. This site and the facebook groups have been a ton of help. I've owned my car for a month and 2 weeks owning the car it broke down on me. First time I've ever owned a Subaru. My roots of building cars started with Honda's and then Nissan's, dabbled in muscle and classic cars. If I'm being honest I'm very involved in the Nissan 240sx community and because of that it helped jump start a side business. I was building these cars before the whole drift craze and have owned my s13 for about 15 years. I don't think I'll ever sell that car with all of the work I've put into it over the years.

If I'm being honest I notice that the Subaru community is very similar to the Nissan community. I think I'll definitely fit in around here. Now to the pictures, this is actually going to turn into a build when I wanted a daily lol.

The day I got her..the interior was pretty jacked up.

54YqDYK.jpg

Two days later I found another legacy in my local pick n pull and started swapping out the stained cream carpet.

VzUd27e.jpg

3VCnoUO.jpg

Z699Rln.jpg

SLuyBya.jpg

OCFGwlq.jpg

Two weeks after that, it broke down on me. I was getting the infamous p0011 & p0021 codes. I replaced the avcs solenoids, and crank position sensor. I still was having issues and saw that I had low oil pressure. Thinking it was the oil pickup tube I ended up picking up a moroso piece.

YtN4dAi.jpg

5nnPooP.jpg

Ufeh6Bj.jpg

b6QnlHL.jpg

pPf4Wrx.jpg

While taking out the oil pan this is what I found. Not surprising since the engine has 200,000 miles. Kind of hard to see in the pictures but there's bearing glitter in my oil pan.

e6Q1exw.jpg

EO8r2Xq.jpg

L1CUCqL.jpg

cPztuW1.jpg

Two days later I ordered an ej257 type ra small block from flat irons tuning and all of the things I'm going to need for the rebuild. Just received it today with all of the other parts that I've ordered. It's turned in to an expensive build already!

yJbUnUb.jpg

o8EYvMO.jpg

v91N9TP.jpg

Xhgbggm.jpg

4wnEq5V.jpg

The rest of the ordered parts that came in on Monday. New oil pan & baffle, avcs cam sprockets, oil dipstick, STI Hardened Group-N Engine Mounts, Subaru OEM Thermostat & Seal Kit, Subaru OEM Legacy GT Master Gasket Kit, IAG Stock Location Turbo Oil Feed & AVCS Lines, 11mm sti oil pump, new oil cooler, AISIN timing belt kit, ARP head studs, Prosport boost and oil pressure gauges, gates radiator hoses & belts. Feels like Christmas since it's snowing.

m10f629.jpg

odL1y2k.jpg

akLWcjT.jpg

aaHvXqS.jpg

MCO8gZe.jpg

RXM1Fe6.jpg

KhFiZp8.jpg

x2nMriM.jpg

ttvUwFY.jpg

E39Zaag.jpg

J4e7BdX.jpg

I'm glad I did a ton of research on here and on the legacy facebook groups. I almost bought the Gates timing belt kit, but I read all of the issues with the bearings. I couldn't chance it especially since I'm starting from scratch. The quality of the AISIN kit is very nice! Also, Dad Mods legacy gt build on YouTube helped a ton. I'm sure you guys have seen this video https://youtu.be/via10GmcTWQ. I'll make sure to keep posting on here if people want to see my build. Only thing left is to yank the engine out and take the heads to the machine shop.

Edited by k00laid83

Following this, nice to see this build, I went with moroso pickup also. they did a great job on the 2nd version tube. I also went with the stock pan instead on the killer B. don't see a need, I am not going to be racing or autox-ing. add a little extra oil and your set. I have done it for years.

Sa-weet. Just did this myself in Fall. What made you go with an OEM windage tray instead of the Killer B one?

I would have gone with an upgraded Killer B windage tray, but for my needs an oem one was fine. I'm not going to be racing the car, figured a quick daily would be fun. Essentially, the OEM windage tray was like $8-$9 and I figured it's good insurance since I had bearing glitter in my oil pan. I'd rather be safe than sorry when putting this new short block together.

One thing I have been looking for is a VF52, I found one on Facebook Marketplace. The only thing is people don't respond back when they're selling things, it gets pretty frustrating. If I can't pickup that turbo, I'll see what I can do with cleaning out my current turbo. I thought of sending it to get rebuilt or possibly I can do the rebuild myself.

Following this, nice to see this build, I went with moroso pickup also. they did a great job on the 2nd version tube. I also went with the stock pan instead on the killer B. don't see a need, I am not going to be racing or autox-ing. add a little extra oil and your set. I have done it for years.

Glad to hear that you used the same oil pickup and oil pan with great success. I can totally relate on not racing, I'm just wanting a quick daily. I would have bought a fully forged short block but at this point to stay on budget it wasn't possible. Since, the type ra block is semi-closed if I ever need to rebuild, it would be a stronger block to start with. That's my thinking anyways.

I would have gone with an upgraded Killer B windage tray, but for my needs an oem one was fine. I'm not going to be racing the car, figured a quick daily would be fun. Essentially, the OEM windage tray was like $8-$9 and I figured it's good insurance since I had bearing glitter in my oil pan. I'd rather be safe than sorry when putting this new short block together.

One thing I have been looking for is a VF52, I found one on Facebook Marketplace. The only thing is people don't respond back when they're selling things, it gets pretty frustrating. If I can't pickup that turbo, I'll see what I can do with cleaning out my current turbo. I thought of sending it to get rebuilt or possibly I can do the rebuild myself.

The VF52 would be a hoot, and reasonable in a daily. Check out the BNR EVO III 16G - that's what I'm running. Similar size to the VF52, but can be had for less. Brand new price isn't bad at all either.

The VF52 would be a hoot, and reasonable in a daily. Check out the BNR EVO III 16G - that's what I'm running. Similar size to the VF52, but can be had for less. Brand new price isn't bad at all either.

I'll definitely check that turbo out. The VF52 I found was for $200 but the guy just isn't returning any type of messaging back. I'll just have to wait and see what's out there.

One thing and I'm sure I'm being a cheap ass but what do you guys do for an intake? Everywhere I look they wan't like $150 to $300 for an intake. It honestly blows my mind lol. I can build my own fmic for about $400, and I'm thinking that might be my outcome for an intake. If I go fmic I can't use the stock intake box, any suggestions for a maf adapter?

Stock intake is fine unless you're talking big power (which it doesn't sound like you are). My stage 3 car is still running the OEM intake without issues.

Word of warning on being a cheapass - I tried to go that route too. Ended up spending the money anyways in the end, just with way more headaches before I got there. Just sayin.

No need for a FMIC, just get a Grimmspeed tmic with a vf52, PM member JmP6689928 he's our go to guy for rebuilding turbos.

Also my Tuner, tuningalliance@gmail.com he can also rebuild turbos and is one of the two best TUners for these cars. Mike really knows these cars.

You can read my click here link in my sig for ideas and pictures.

I may have missed it but did you buy a new oil cooler ?

As others said the stock intake air box is fine. It is a cold air intake.

You can also read JmP's sticky in the top of the 4th Gen Forum about various parts.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Stock intake is fine unless you're talking big power (which it doesn't sound like you are). My stage 3 car is still running the OEM intake without issues.

Word of warning on being a cheapass - I tried to go that route too. Ended up spending the money anyways in the end, just with way more headaches before I got there. Just sayin.

I totally get what you mean. If I make my own I would tig weld my own intake tubing and ultimately buy a really good filter. I don't know if i'd fabricate my own out of stainless or just good ole aluminum. I know it's overkill but that's what I would end up doing especially if I go fmic.

No need for a FMIC, just get a Grimmspeed tmic with a vf52, PM member JmP6689928 he's our go to guy for rebuilding turbos.

Also my Tuner, tuningalliance@gmail.com he can also rebuild turbos and is one of the two best TUners for these cars. Mike really knows these cars.

You can read my click here link in my sig for ideas and pictures.

I may have missed it but did you buy a new oil cooler ?

As others said the stock intake air box is fine. It is a cold air intake.

You can also read JmP's sticky in the top of the 4th Gen Forum about various parts.

I know fmic is overkill but I've done a bit of research and with the turbo being so close to tmic it creates more heat soak. If I fab up my own fmic I would spend less going fmic than buying a grimmspeed tmic. I would probably use a mishimoto fmic and just piece everything together.

I'll for sure check out that link and reach out to Mike. I assume he tunes over the internet?

I did end up buying a new oil cooler. I actually saw a few of your post in other threads where you mentioned switching it out. So, I definitely took that advise.

Yea, I know that the stock intake box is perfect if I stay tmic. I'm just trying to decide if I want to go fmic. I can just fabricate or piece my own together for what I would spend on a tmic and it would eliminate some heat soak. I know I might have a little lag. I guess I'm still processing things, especially with being on a budget the wife set me on lol. I'm just trying to figure out the best mods I can do within my budget.

Well boys I got my master gasket kit in the mail today. I was a bit surprised on how small the box was. I guess since I'm so new to subaru I just haven't embraced how different these cars are. Only thing left is to pull the engine and take these heads to the machine shop.

BOpHh4Z.jpg

yYhMhiP.jpg

• Like 1

Just don't want you to spend more time then you need. My wagon is a blast to drive, quick in 2nd and 3rd gear, with the vf52.

The ej257 has 135,000 trouble free miles and the vf52 has 147,000 miles.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Just don't want you to spend more time then you need. My wagon is a blast to drive, quick in 2nd and 3rd gear, with the vf52.

The ej257 has 135,000 trouble free miles and the vf52 has 147,000 miles.

Thanks brother, very much appreciated. I found someone local who's selling a racer x fmic kit off of his old legacy. Some of the intercooler fins look a little bent in certain places. I'm still thinking about it before I pull the trigger. Not sure if he has all the mounts for it.

May have missed it, but what are your plans for a clutch ?

Need a FW ?

Heater hoses ?

oil return hose ?

Going to grease the starter while its out ?

Exhaust gaskets for the DP and up pipe.

May have missed it, but what are your plans for a clutch ?

Need a FW ?

Heater hoses ?

oil return hose ?

Going to grease the starter while its out ?

Exhaust gaskets for the DP and up pipe.

I think I have an upgraded clutch currently. I'm going to check out the condition of it and check out the clutch fork to see if I should buy an upgraded one. My clutch is pretty stiff reminds me of when I had a cable driven upgraded racing clutch in my civic.

I actually just bought one heater hose but I think I'll just buy universal radiator hoses for the miscellaneous stuff. Maybe use the same thing for oil return.. not sure yet. The car does have a new starter in it. When I had the car for a day the starter went out.

For the exhaust gaskets I'm not sure if my master gasket kit came with them. If not I'll just go buy the gasket from my local summit racing.

looking for a fun daily, there's less lag with tmic.

I tracked mine for several years with tmic, oem intake and exhaust. Never had issues. Stupid fast in traffic. I pretty much live in 3rd and 4th gear.

Look for a specb 6mt. The overdrive helps gas mileage, too

That's very true! I've been considering sticking with a tmic because of that. I know what everyone is going to say about the rev9 tmic but I only have about $300 budgeted for a tmic. Maybe, I'll keep saving until I have enough.

Save for the GS tmic. its easy to remove and reinstall. Very glad both my cars have one.

The vf52, catless up pipe, 3" catted DP, great tune, you'll never want to sell the car...my wagon is that much fun.

Save for the GS tmic. its easy to remove and reinstall. Very glad both my cars have one.

The vf52, catless up pipe, 3" catted DP, great tune, you'll never want to sell the car...my wagon is that much fun.

The car came with a catless up pipe, I'm unsure of the brand. Invidia catless downpipe, 3 inch exhaust, AVO turbo inlet hose, and a cobb 3 port boost solenoid. I'm assuming the car has a protune, just not sure what it is. I'll have to take it back in for a protune. Also, the VF40 that I took out looks in great condition, it's pretty new looking. It doesn't have the wastegate crack and doesn't look like it has 200k on it.

As for the tmic, my current one is pretty smashed. It has a metal tie down holding it together. I think the previous owner tried to put it back to stock, but the oem stuff wasn't well take care of.

Hi Guys,

Quick question, I'm trying to figure out which pcv valve assembly to buy. I found that flat irons tuning has this assembly Click Here. I also found this pcv assembly Click Here, just unsure which one to buy. In the picture they look exactly the same. The one in the second link you can't really see the white sensor because of the background but it's there. The sensor looks like they're in the same location on both assemblies. I'll be pulling the engine today and getting things ready. I just want to make sure I have everything I need when I start putting things together on the new block.

I just received one of these RA blocks too. Similar goal setting. Following.

Well buddy sounds like we're in the same boat. Check out dad mods YouTube video I shard in the first page. It's been helping me with a few things.