LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your Outback today? V3

The biggest one I saw while working in bike shops or body shops was people pulling into the garage with the bike on the roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife did it with the son's bmx on her impreza. It basically stuffed the bike and rack through the rear window. She must have been moving [emoji2960]

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

I love the look of bikes on the roof. That said even though I'm 6'2 I just got tired of it. I still have two for the roof if I need but my kuat is the way to go. Especially as bikes keep getting heavier.

After the 5+ years working in shops and 20ish riding, I won't go back to the roof.

I love the look of bikes on the roof. That said even though I'm 6'2 I just got tired of it. I still have two for the roof if I need but my kuat is the way to go. Especially as bikes keep getting heavier.

After the 5+ years working in shops and 20ish riding, I won't go back to the roof.

Agreed, I just sold my roof rack, swapped to legacy rails, and an using a tailgate pad now

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

I've been debating on selling mine but I'm trying to refrain from selling stuff "I haven't used in a while" I didn't ski this season due to covid and moving so I'd hate to sell it all and then want a box again next year. Thing was expensive.

The legacy rails do look good though. Been thinking about it all day.

Don't mind the engine bay cleanliness... I live in the desert and I go play in the sand a lot!

Now this is not the best scientific set up, but after the first test drive I used my meat temperature probe :lol: and measured the left and right sides of the intercooler right after the drive. If these temperature measurements are somewhat accurate then that's not bad. The intake temperature during the test drive was hovering between 66 and 68°F. Altitude was 2700Ft.

IMG_20210415_225231.thumb.jpg.97d1bd6d90e0c3351f959785ca3be91a.jpg

IMG_20210415_225439_1.thumb.jpg.903a6a1d3dbf6d811ed5597027ebfbe3.jpg

Don't mind the engine bay cleanliness... I live in the desert and I go play in the sand a lot!

Now this is not the best scientific set up, but after the first test drive I used my meat temperature probe :lol: and measured the left and right sides of the intercooler right after the drive. If these temperature measurements are somewhat accurate then that's not bad. The intake temperature during the test drive was hovering between 66 and 68°F. Altitude was 2700Ft.

Nice. I'll be interested to see what experience you get in the summer going up snow canyon and such. See if you get added heat soak at low speed.

Were you one of the few that had similar cooling issues to me? Mid load on hot days going up canyons?

I don't really run into any issue as long as my roof is free of a roofrack and bikes+ skybox. When I add all of this crap and try to stay in mid boost for a while (with intake temp between 100-110F) while going up hill, then coolant temp gets in the 215-225F :eek:.

Next upgrade is a larger radiator for sure.

Yep that's pretty much exactly what I'm referring to. I never let it stay that hot long enough to know if it plateaus or not.

Talking to someone who ran our cars at rallycross they felt that mid load was hard on cooling because you're not getting as much cooling from the fuel as full throttle driving like on a track.

I too like the asthetic of bikes/box mounted on the roof, especially on a wagon.

But I ended up with a hitch mounted 1UP USA rack and really like it.

Yeah. I am going to make the switch slowly. I am getting tired of the 'ritual' now.

How many bikes do you put on your 1UP?

I can accommodate 2, snug fit though. I can also remove the second bike provision if I want as well.

1664a91cd5656f634e29c2457fcd38cb.jpg

7c770be649d67578d83c97c47e9e19de.jpg

f8bf91d79048aef9ece37fcfbc16f61c.jpg

I've been wanting one for a long time, but need to accommodate 4 bikes. I know it is possible with it, but man lots of $$$. So I am still using my 12 year old Yakima King Cobras :spin:

Honestly, a 4 bike hitch rack is pretty rough. That's why I still have 2 roof racks. With 4 bike trays the things weight over 80lbs, are super tall when folded, and kinda difficult to carry around.

I mean if you are normally taking 4 people and 4 bikes I guess that is what it is. But most people I know go 1 or 2 people with the occasional 3 or 4. I got the smaller kuat because cheaper, I already had roof racks, and at under 40lbs just about anyone can move it around.

Yeah. I know they end up being real heavy and cumbersome. I usually go for a ride once a week with my kids and wife. So that's four bikes (and the 1.5 year old on my back!). So far, I can put three full size bikes on the roof (with the Yakima skybox :eek:), and one 20" in the trunk.

I have two additional king cobra racks. Will probably build a DIY hitch rack with these since I already own this: https://www.stowaway2.com/swingaway-hitch-frame

hitch-frames-only_swingaway-frame-angled-Original.jpg?bw=1000&w=1000&bh=1000&h=1000

Great design but heavy!

Yea at that rate I'd say go for it. I thought that might be your car honestly. Look at Northshore racks too. Idk if they are too tall for our cars but the youngest can't ride on your back forever!

She loves it though! And I bring her and the rest of the family on 'real' trails too, like the famous bearclaw poppy trail including the J.E.M trail. But yeah, she already has a bike waiting for her. So I need to be able to carry around 5 bikes.

Man, I just installed the two yakima racks on that hitch platform I posted earlier. The whole thing is 70 lbs! That's too heavy. Just checked dual 1up and these are 48 lbs. Only 'cool' thing about mine is I can swing the thing out of the way to access the trunk.

Posted here cause that's still related to my outback :spin:

Also, I am noticing way less knocking, almost none really, since I installed the Grimmspeed TMIC. Will continue to monitor and then eventually bump up timing for more torque!

I changed my oil. Also thinking of getting a V6 SUV or a truck. We have a 3k lb trailer now, and it feels awkward to always have to "borrow" the wives car to move it. I do like my oitback though... and almost thinking of keeping it as a third car since it's nearly worthless on the market.

Can't believe how much i paid for it and how little it's worth. Granted, that was a LONG time ago...

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *