LegacyGT.com

Official Lowered Outback Thread V2

GTEASER

Anyone in here running a 19in setup?

natoli4 ran 19s.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3582617&postcount=1

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/oz-19-ultraleggara-and-bridgestone-potenza-s-04-sale-241291.html?p=5156560#post5156560

I talked with him offline and he didn't like them much, but he was also using the car as a family man. Later he switched to OEM LGT springs bc the ride was too harsh with the 45 19s and EPICs. I know this, because I bought his koni/LGT spring setup...

Question about KYB's with Tein H Tech or H&R's on an 06 Outback:

Im reading that the KYB's for 00-04 Outbacks are a little stiffer than the 05-09's so some guys go with the 00-04 either all the way around or just in the rear on the 05-09 Outback. But im looking to lower my Outback so it seems like the 05-09 Legacy GT KYB's are what I need to apply but not sure that there wont be any other rear suspension mods involved to keep the camber and toe in tact without buying the Whiteline kit. Not interested in coil overs since its a daily driver and winters here in Pennsylvania will destroy them over time. Im almost positive that rear saggy but spacers will be needed either 3/4 or 1" but thats why I am running this topic buy you guys who have dropped Outbacks. Thanks....

The report on the 00-04 was dampening was better. I went that route 110K ago and the setup is still working.

Now as far as the lowering and camber. You will need a few tricks in this thread to make it better. Whiteline seems to be the go to company these days for our cars with options. Don't forget the bump stop and read through all of this before you make up your mind.

I personally will probably never lower the car. Kinda like not having to worry about curb rashed bumper cover.

So it sounds like I will go with the 05-09 LGT KYB's and eitherTein H Tech H&R or Swift. Now for the spacers 3/4 or 1" to prevent the "Saggy Butt"? Will I need the whiteline rear camber/control arm (kit KTA124) or is that just for guys dropping their Outback's to the ground against their cars natural height with coil overs or is that for shock/strut lowering too? Thanks Edited by zangado1

3/4" on the H Techs is flat, no rake on my OB. 1" would be a slight rake. A little rake is a popular set up due to how much junk in the trunk the wagons can carry.

KTA124 is the best way (toe & camber), easiest to install for a DIY, but most expensive to buy, and trickiest to align.

KCA399 is the cheap way, yet hardest to install (press out/in), no toe control, just camber. Most shops will miss this adjust-ability if you don't point it out.

You'll need one or the other.

3/4" on the H Techs is flat, no rake on my OB. 1" would be a slight rake. A little rake is a popular set up due to how much junk in the trunk the wagons can carry.

KTA124 is the best way (toe & camber), easiest to install for a DIY, but most expensive to buy, and trickiest to align.

KCA399 is the cheap way, yet hardest to install (press out/in), no toe control, just camber. Most shops will miss this adjust-ability if you don't point it out.

You'll need one or the other.

Ok cool..I had Tein H Techs on my older wagon and they were great. Also had paranoid fabrication 3/4" saggy butt spacers and the car sat level. I don't tow or haul stuff so that 3/4" will work. I will go for the KTA124 the money is not an issue but I want it all done at once so its over. Still about the same price as a decent set of BC Coil overs if you add up the KYB's H Techs and KTA 124 kit. But this is a daily driver that will see winter so coils are going to rust and seize over time. Pretty sure this LGT KYB set up is best for what im looking to do with the car. Thanks...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So I've gone through the v1 and v2 thread it seems like a dozen times, and i decided to pull the trigger on some new tires and rims, with lowering to soon follow. i want to make sure this setup wont cause me problems.

tires are 235/45/18 on 18x8 with 48mm offset rims.

obxt will be lowered to 1 below legacy height(leg struts and leg lowering springs to get it to 1 below leg height). so far my grocery list is struts, springs, (possibly saggy butt spacers?) and legacy bumpstops.

do i need anything else to help with camber issues, like an adjustable lower control arm on the rear?

is this setup going to rub at all using legacy struts? should i expect to roll fenders?

is this a better setup for bc racing coilovers?

thanks for the help. so much information and different setups on these threads that i think i have given myself information overload:spin:

Edited by unicorn_violence

So I've gone through the v1 and v2 thread it seems like a dozen times, and i decided to pull the trigger on some new tires and rims, with lowering to soon follow. i want to make sure this setup wont cause me problems.

tires are 235/45/18 on 18x8 with 48mm offset rims.

obxt will be lowered to 1 below legacy height(leg struts and leg lowering springs to get it to 1 below leg height). so far my grocery list is struts, springs, (possibly saggy butt spacers?) and legacy bumpstops.

do i need anything else to help with camber issues, like an adjustable lower control arm on the rear?

is this setup going to rub at all using legacy struts? should i expect to roll fenders?

is this a better setup for bc racing coilovers?

thanks for the help. so much information and different setups on these threads that i think i have given myself information overload:spin:

I can't say for sure. On my 18x8 +40s with 245/40s, I can barely get the tip of my index finger between the tire and the front strut body. +48s are 8mm closer, so that would rub for me with 245s, but 235s are 10mm/2 narrower, so -5mm. That leaves 3mm closer. About the thickness of my finger tip. Maaaaaybe. Depends on the meatyness of the 235s. Gosh, I didn't realize how narrowly my 245s are fitting in front.

The spring height doesn't matter, because this clearance is below the spring perch and the strut body is bolted to the knuckle. BCs have more clearance in this area.

Plenty of space in the rear.

Any examples of 235/45s with +48s that you can quote from your research?

Edited by rebourne

i found this quote from housemusic1:

"I'm lowered on Konis with H&R's: 18x8.5 +48 Rota G Force, 235/45/18. No issues with that setup, and could actually run a 245/45. I added 20mm wheel spacers, and had to flatten the metal lip under the rear flares, otherwise my rear tires would get destroyed. Since your new setup isn't "stock", Tire Rack's system is probably spitting out a generic warning. You will be good to go!"

well after double checking the tire i had ordered, i decided i wanted something more sporty. i was able to switch it to a bridgestone potenza all season in 225/40/18. to avoid any clearance issues. im not too bothered by width, and this car is going to see snow a decent amount in the rockies. i'm excited to see how it looks!

just need to pull the trigger on suspension parts. im looking at xtea's b8's on swifts, oem jdm billsteins form overseas, or just go full racerboy and get bc coilovers.

Could've pulled the trigger on some bfg Goodrich comp a/s... definitely a good rim gaurd a 225 almost fits like a 245 since the run a little wider compared to most brands. If you're around Denver I'd consider those personally as often as I mob between Idaho, Wyoming, and Colorado theyre a great tire.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone on this thread that lowered their outbacks, and shared what they did. It made the process a lot easier for me. Just got the car back today and I must say, I'm pretty pleased with the results!

x7Bxcw9.jpg?2

fNIYGQi.jpg

VtXmfhk.jpg

setup was:

KYB on Tein H-Tech springs

Legacy top hats, and 3/4 saggy butt spacers

Potenza 225/40/18 on 18x8 with 48 offset

No rubbing whatsoever. I think there is a little room for improvement, but so far its a solid starting point. so glad I did this mod!:icon_bigg:icon_bigg

• Like 1

After a year long overseas tour, I finally get to see my car in about a week <3

Cheers to more adventures!

5 spoke STi wheels 235/40/18 Federal RSR

Splite spoke STi wheels 245/45 Falkens

using ISC 5x100-5x114.3 adapter

endless zeal LGT coilovers

45213898394_432cd1b182_b.jpg

45213908164_e3c796db2a_b.jpg

45938100831_df0f55f212_b.jpg

Edited by KevinEdgar