LegacyGT.com

Current 02 wrx owner thinking about 2010 + LGT or 3.6 R

kyle_tsiaw

Hi guys, I am a long time subaru fan boy( Have had an impreza 2.5i sedan, forester, and currently drive an 02 wrx wagon) I am considering a newer 2010 + legacy and was just seeking some advice/input. I am bumed that subaru no longer offers the 2.5 GT but i'm considering the 3.6R. I am usually a manual transmission kinda guy but I think I could live with the paddle shifters in the 3.6. So here's my questions(hopefully someone who's transitioned from wrx to newer gen legacy will chime in)

Power wise how does a 3.6R stack up to an 02 wrx? I know the leggy is heavier...Im just wondering if i'll feel frustrated. My 02 is stock engine wise(ton of suspension upgrades)

How well does the paddle shifting work in the 3.6R?

Whats the maintenance like? Kinda looking forward to not having a turbo when it comes to maintenance lol

A 2.5gt would be sweet but they're rare and about 4g's more used.

What are your guys thoughts?

There are a few LGT/3.6R owners that are former WRX owners. I'll post a link in the 5th

Gen area to direct them here.

My hunch is power delivery smoother, more low end TQ/power, about the same equivalent power at top end. The 3.6R has more HP but weighs more.

Suspension upgrades are available and desirable.

Very good breaking.

Quite comfortable and quieter cabin. Real room for adults in back seat.

I'm partial to the LGT. A stage I pro tune is the same as a stage II 05+WRX and 4gen. You could stop there and enjoy the car.

Originally I wanted An Lgt. Honestly A Major Factor Is That My Wife Can't Drive Sick (Trust Me I've Tried To Teach Her Lol) Its Fine Most Of The Time But When We Go On Long Trips I Get Stuck With All The Driving Or If Her Van Is In The Shop Its An Issue. We've Delt With It In The Past.(MarriedGuyproblems)

Either Way I Have A Short Mod List : Some Sort Of Front Lip, Enkie Nt03+M Wheels, Rear Away Bar,Swifts, And Window Rain Guards. If Lgt Than An Access Port.

If you are a "manual kind of guy" you will be completely frustrated with an auto. Even with paddleshifters.

It won't stay in gear at high revs. It will always go up a gear if you stay around 5500 rpm. So, forget about paddle shifting down to second, and running it all the way though an onramp or offramp.

Also, even in manual mode, the revs will fall off.

It would be great if the 3.6R came with paddle shifters and a "manual" mode for the shifter. If the steering wheel is turned beyond 90 degrees and you try to downshift or upshift, it becomes a bit of an easter egg hunt for the paddles, so if the shifter at your right had a manual mode, you could at least go up or down a gear without hunting for the paddles.

Oh, and it would be great if the car just came with a manual transmission.

If you can get over the manual transmission thing, then the car is not bad at all. Gas mileage suffers a bit. I've been hitting 17mpg with combined city and highway lately. I've seen as high as 21mpg depending on my driving style.

The OEM suspension is not bad. The OEM tires don't grip well. But, if you are going to get suspension work and get better rubber, then it doesn't matter.

At a minimum, I had to get a 19mm rear anti-sway bar and replace the OEM all season tires with summer tires. This was a good improvement over stock.

Once you get the car, you'll have a lot of suspension/handling decisions to make.

First and biggest question is: Will you hate yourself in the morning (as I did) if you give up your manual.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

Originally I wanted An Lgt. Honestly A Major Factor Is That My Wife Can't Drive Sick (Trust Me I've Tried To Teach Her Lol) Its Fine Most Of The Time But When We Go On Long Trips I Get Stuck With All The Driving Or If Her Van Is In The Shop Its An Issue. We've Delt With It In The Past.(MarriedGuyproblems)

Either Way I Have A Short Mod List : Some Sort Of Front Lip, Enkie Nt03+M Wheels, Rear Away Bar,Swifts, And Window Rain Guards. If Lgt Than An Access Port.

How can you stand to capitalize every word when you type? :eek:

How can you stand to capitalize every word when you type? :eek:

Probably a phone.

Also, the 2013+ models have a different OEM suspension setup than the 2010-2012's. The 10-12's are pretty soft and I understand that things were stiffened up a bit for the 2013 model year.

If you are a "manual kind of guy" you will be completely frustrated with an auto. Even with paddleshifters.

It won't stay in gear at high revs. It will always go up a gear if you stay around 5500 rpm. So, forget about paddle shifting down to second, and running it all the way though an onramp or offramp.

Also, even in manual mode, the revs will fall off.

It would be great if the 3.6R came with paddle shifters and a "manual" mode for the shifter. If the steering wheel is turned beyond 90 degrees and you try to downshift or upshift, it becomes a bit of an easter egg hunt for the paddles, so if the shifter at your right had a manual mode, you could at least go up or down a gear without hunting for the paddles.

Oh, and it would be great if the car just came with a manual transmission.

If you can get over the manual transmission thing, then the car is not bad at all. Gas mileage suffers a bit. I've been hitting 17mpg with combined city and highway lately. I've seen as high as 21mpg depending on my driving style.

The OEM suspension is not bad. The OEM tires don't grip well. But, if you are going to get suspension work and get better rubber, then it doesn't matter.

At a minimum, I had to get a 19mm rear anti-sway bar and replace the OEM all season tires with summer tires. This was a good improvement over stock.

Once you get the car, you'll have a lot of suspension/handling decisions to make.

First and biggest question is: Will you hate yourself in the morning (as I did) if you give up your manual.

I hope you didn't buy your car at Stevens Creek Subaru, screw them and the Mitsubishi lot they own on Capital!!! #EndRant

I like that I have the stick to shift as well as the buttons on my 07 GT, no easter egg hunting for paddles when turning the wheel.

If I'm in "manual" mode in my 13 3.6R, I do downshift to 2nd on the hwy ramp, signal and punch it over to the fast lane, runs all they way to redline. Even in auto mode runs to redline. I usually leave in auto mode, downshift to 2nd and floor it, letting the gear change by itself at red.

I don't have a sway bar yet, but the handling on mountain roads is fine to me. I did get new rims (18" Enkei EKM3) and Michilin Pilot Super Sports. Handles like a dream, crazy grip. Yeah the OEM tires that it came with, some other Michilins, not nearly as good. They went onto my 07 (rims and all) and that thing squeels like a stuck pig on every corner.

I drive 3.6R very spirited, up and down mountain roads and stop and go hwy. I have not reset my MPG guage since buying the car. At 8700 miles avg 20.1 MPG. I was at 21 for the first 3000 miles or so. Better than the 17.4 I've been getting on my GT.

Most Of The Lgt I Find Are 2010's Any Differences Between 2010,2011, 2012 Lgt's?

There is a potential high speed shimmy issue with the 10, 11 and 12's. Supposed to a fix, but some say it's still present. Obviously you would need to drive the car on the freeway to really test it out. Other than that, not sure why you are seeing more of the 10's, prob because people are hanging onto the newer ones a bit longer.

The acceleration on the 3.6R is great, nice throttle response. But the LGT is still faster. Nice smooth pressure on the throttle and it will tear off past the 3.6.

I have a 2002 WRX with 35,645 original miles, in my garage. I love it !! I bought a new Legacy 3.6 R in June. I lowered it on H&R springs, applied 19 X 8.5 Matte Gunmetal 5 AD wheels. It drives really nice. While turbo's are great, I have owned (2) 2005 Legacy GT Wagons, and 08 GT Sedan, (2) Forester XT's, and (2) WRX's 2002, and 2007, the 2013 Legacy 3.6 R is a great overall package, it has a great handling and response. It has a comfortable ride, doesn't beat you up, even with it lowered.

I highly recommend it !!!

I've enclosed some pictures of the cars I've owned, so you will not think I'm blowing smoke !!!!

Also, if have not modified your WRX, the Legacy 3.6 R is very close to the stock 2002 WRX, a little slower, but with no turbo lag, but still very responsive and comfortable.

024_24.thumb.jpg.66a61edc2f8322ccd66f7186122d0043.jpg

022_22.thumb.jpg.878d9fed5bd9ba6c31e0abae6cc8460a.jpg

003_3.thumb.jpg.ef67305e41b39ba7f0e982b1aaec4589.jpg

005_5.thumb.jpg.2dc5485fdb9a011d90a49e59705d0add.jpg

002_2.thumb.jpg.6f6ad333912bd446451c47b24b5899ff.jpg

I have a 2002 WRX with 35,645 original miles, in my garage. I love it !! I bought a new Legacy 3.6 R in June. I lowered it on H&R springs, applied 19 X 8.5 Matte Gunmetal 5 AD wheels. It drives really nice. While turbo's are great, I have owned (2) 2005 Legacy GT Wagons, and 08 GT Sedan, (2) Forester XT's, and (2) WRX's 2002, and 2007, the 2013 Legacy 3.6 R is a great overall package, it has a great handling and response. It has a comfortable ride, doesn't beat you up, even with it lowered.

I highly recommend it !!!

I've enclosed some pictures of the cars I've owned, so you will not think I'm blowing smoke !!!!

Also, if have not modified your WRX, the Legacy 3.6 R is very close to the stock 2002 WRX, a little slower, but with no turbo lag, but still very responsive and comfortable.

Nice little collection! I'm only on Subaru 3, alas the wifes 07 Impreza 2.5i is gone, fun car, not much power.

My 3.6 I think handles perfectly fine on stock suspension, the Enkei EKM3 wrapped in Mich Pilot Super Sports and it grips and grips some more, no howling yetti sounds from the tires.

My 07 GT however bounces all over the road, def needs a new suspension setup. Not sure what my plan is, I want to mod it, but have a minor issue, which the stage 1 may fix. Or looks at a 2015 WRX - depending on final specs. 285 hp on a 2.0, YES PLEASE!

Hi guys, I am a long time subaru fan boy( Have had an impreza 2.5i sedan, forester, and currently drive an 02 wrx wagon) I am considering a newer 2010 + legacy and was just seeking some advice/input. I am bumed that subaru no longer offers the 2.5 GT but i'm considering the 3.6R. I am usually a manual transmission kinda guy but I think I could live with the paddle shifters in the 3.6. So here's my questions(hopefully someone who's transitioned from wrx to newer gen legacy will chime in)

Power wise how does a 3.6R stack up to an 02 wrx? I know the leggy is heavier...Im just wondering if i'll feel frustrated. My 02 is stock engine wise(ton of suspension upgrades)

How well does the paddle shifting work in the 3.6R?

Whats the maintenance like? Kinda looking forward to not having a turbo when it comes to maintenance lol

A 2.5gt would be sweet but they're rare and about 4g's more used.

What are your guys thoughts?

Have you driven any yet? I drove a 2010 LGT for fun once and I greatly underestimated how awesome it would be. This is coming from an 02 WRX, vf39, 6speed. The LGT was nimble, had way better lower rpm power, and the interior is more like something from a lexus/bmw/audi. I liked every aspect about the LGT better than a 2011 A4. 21mpg average seems really low though? I would be expecting more like mid 20s.

Also, as for the 2013 upgraded suspension, is that for the 2.5i as well? I drove one and it was bad, but it was really soft, and the power wasn't that great for the extra weight over my 2005 2.5i

I hope you didn't buy your car at Stevens Creek Subaru, screw them and the Mitsubishi lot they own on Capital!!! #EndRant

I like that I have the stick to shift as well as the buttons on my 07 GT, no easter egg hunting for paddles when turning the wheel.

If I'm in "manual" mode in my 13 3.6R, I do downshift to 2nd on the hwy ramp, signal and punch it over to the fast lane, runs all they way to redline. Even in auto mode runs to redline. I usually leave in auto mode, downshift to 2nd and floor it, letting the gear change by itself at red.

I don't have a sway bar yet, but the handling on mountain roads is fine to me. I did get new rims (18" Enkei EKM3) and Michilin Pilot Super Sports. Handles like a dream, crazy grip. Yeah the OEM tires that it came with, some other Michilins, not nearly as good. They went onto my 07 (rims and all) and that thing squeels like a stuck pig on every corner.

I drive 3.6R very spirited, up and down mountain roads and stop and go hwy. I have not reset my MPG guage since buying the car. At 8700 miles avg 20.1 MPG. I was at 21 for the first 3000 miles or so. Better than the 17.4 I've been getting on my GT.

There is a potential high speed shimmy issue with the 10, 11 and 12's. Supposed to a fix, but some say it's still present. Obviously you would need to drive the car on the freeway to really test it out. Other than that, not sure why you are seeing more of the 10's, prob because people are hanging onto the newer ones a bit longer.

The acceleration on the 3.6R is great, nice throttle response. But the LGT is still faster. Nice smooth pressure on the throttle and it will tear off past the 3.6.

No on the Stevens Creek. I got mine at Capitol Subaru. They were very willing to negotiate and take time. I got it for $1900 below invoice.

Yes on the downshift. I will typically just downshift to pass while in D. But, if I want to have a little fun, it goes in M. Even when it pops from 2nd to 3rd, there is enough to pull, but I wish it would just stay in gear.

Again, the downside of the paddles is when I have to turn the wheel beyond 90 degrees and can't readily access the paddles. For that, it would have been helpful to have a little +/- position on the shifter itself.

I've been getting "used" to the car, but I'm not yet satisfied. It gets me from point A to point B, and with summer tires and 19mm RSB, it holds the road similar to my G37S sedan with summer tires. But, it is FAR from where I want it to be. That said, if I were to get it to where I want it to be, I would be scraping some driveways and hitting curbs with my bumper at parking lots.

It will play it's role at least through its 60 months of payments.

Cheers!

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

No on the Stevens Creek. I got mine at Capitol Subaru. They were very willing to negotiate and take time. I got it for $1900 below invoice.

Yes on the downshift. I will typically just downshift to pass while in D. But, if I want to have a little fun, it goes in M. Even when it pops from 2nd to 3rd, there is enough to pull, but I wish it would just stay in gear.

Again, the downside of the paddles is when I have to turn the wheel beyond 90 degrees and can't readily access the paddles. For that, it would have been helpful to have a little +/- position on the shifter itself.

I've been getting "used" to the car, but I'm not yet satisfied. It gets me from point A to point B, and with summer tires and 19mm RSB, it holds the road similar to my G37S sedan with summer tires. But, it is FAR from where I want it to be. That said, if I were to get it to where I want it to be, I would be scraping some driveways and hitting curbs with my bumper at parking lots.

It will play it's role at least through its 60 months of payments.

Cheers!

Capital Subaru is great. Bought my 07 2.5i from there when Santa Cruz wouldn't negotiate. I got the SE for the price of a base model, since someone bought it and brought it back with 300 miles to trade for an STI.

60 Months of payments, I hope that means 0% interest ;)

Bought my GT and 3.6 from Santa Cruz/Capitola (right down the road from me). Know one of the sales guys so no real haggling, great price, maxed out minus Eye Sight, Nav and Interior lights, got everything else even the puddle lights that I love.

I had an '02 WRX wagon for 11 years (all stock!) before I got my LGT. Needless to say I loved the WRX and would have kept it until the next gen WRX comes out in 2015(?) if I didn't need a usable back seat. But I reached a point where I felt the WRX's value was about to start dropping and since LGT production was over I wanted to make the jump before all the low mile ones were gone. I've always driven manuals and intend to as long as possible.

The LGT drives very different from the WRX. The WRX felt more connected to the road and was much more communicative. However, the LGT is quicker on the highway and you don't feel the speed as much as you do in the WRX. It also corners just as well (likely due to to the summer tires) and gets slightly better fuel economy. I've read about the shimmy, but mine is smooth and stable to triple digits. I avoided the 2010s because of the shimmy, beige & wood interiors, and I had a bunch of first model year issues with my WRX so I was trying to avoid that again.

Things I miss about the WRX: the UEL header boxer rasp, wagon body, the grippy seats, and the non-cable shifter.

Good luck with your decision!

I had to travel 390 miles to get my LGT...

Things I miss about the WRX: the UEL header boxer rasp, wagon body, the grippy seats, and the non-cable shifter.

Good luck with your decision!

I had to travel 390 miles to get my LGT...

UGH.. I hated my 02 WRX seats. Even the 04s in it now suck. I loved the LGT's seats though leather is more slippy. All and all, you won't regret it. It drives a lot like a WRX, but way..and I mean way more refined inside and out.

When i make the change, I will greatly miss the non-dccd STi transmission. the 65R/35F I think makes a nice balanced steering without having to go crazy on the suspension mods.

Archived