LegacyGT.com

Bilstein Japan - BTS suspension kit - install parts list.

The setup is a huge improvement. Absolutely firm and planted and much better damped. I waited a long time - 60K - to make changes, and they're worth it.

I'd started with Whiteline swaybars plus the KYB GP2 replacements. Made good changes, to what I'd call a decent stock ride/handling. As delivered, this OBXT was just sloppy, with lots of rocking horse undulations and a bobbing tail. The swaybars plus BP5056 kit (plus Whiteline front LCA bushings that +.5 degree caster) is downright sharp and tight for DD but great and much more engaging. However, the rear is now a little stiff and nervous in the rear. So...

QUESTIONs:

ktmrider, is it you mentioned setting the rear snap-rings on the highest height position? That setting actually raises the rear on my car about 3/8". The setting is at one end of the 5 available. Snap-rings were on the middle when delivered.

Reference point: before installation both front and rear wheel wells measured even at 29 3/8" (several measurements).

Post-install, the front has dropped 1/2", so I'm tempted to put the snap-ring to full drop, which should level it with the front and change the roll moment considerably in the rear. Increasing compliance in the rear would also be welcome. The tail hopped on a whoopdie that was in a tight bend the other day - not a friendly feeling.

Also, it seems that this adjustment simply for height, with no change in stiffness?

Promise: After dialing in the tail, I'll post full results as a ref for others.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KenYz -

I moved the rear shock/spring cirrclip up and down the provided positions and thought any change only effected the vehicles height... My.02.

There's about 25k to 30K miles that has passed since installing the JMD Bilstein BTS kit. Continues to work very well.

Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

Thanks, and agreed,

Unless height adjustment makes for a change in the damper's behavior, the adjust is strictly for height.

BTW, expect the bilsties to last longer than the car. They were stock on Mercedes for decades, and they never needed replacement. I had a 98 E, and my mechanic was shocked that it had been delivered with Boges, dampers that wore out. Bilstein had become much more aggressive on replacement pricing, so I gave them a try. Big step change in handling/stability with just slightly firmer ride.

Since I did not drive much on the center clip position I cannot comment like MS can. On my car the highest notch leveled ride height F-R with a note it was used ( 8k miles by PO before trading car in ).

From my motorcycle racing days I can comment on basic theory however. Moving the clip changes static spring preload. It affects the initial dampening rate, ie takes more "energy" before the spring begins to compress. So over small bumps ( when the wheel is moving little to no distance ) it feels a touch stiffer however once the strut begins its compression motion it feels the same.

• 1 year later...
Schneider can you confirm or deny this:

Edit to the BTS-5056J parts install list:

2ea. USDM SpecB top hats, 20320AG01A. local.

2ea. USDM SpecB dust cap 20326AG000. local. (NOT 20320AG000)

2ea. JDM rear shock perch 20370AG010. www.japanparts.com

2ea. JDM rear rubber upper 20375AE011. www.japanparts.com

My BTS-Kit landed from Japan a month ago. However I missed the above correction so I've got an extra pair of top hats now... :/

Just need to get dust caps and ready to try out. Transmission crapped out so it has posponed installation of this.

I've had an excellent experience with this upgrade. 15K in, and still much better ride and handling. The bilsties are so planted compared to others.

ON RIDE HEIGHT: The setup settles over a period of months - down 5-8mm. The springs soften a tad. As previous posts have said, the taller settings on the rear ARE a bit more taut; however, that softens a bit.

I've been through nearly all of the settings. Initially, the middle one was great, and it would have continued to be. After settling, front and rear had about 3mm of difference in height at the fender well - though right at first, the rear was 6-8mm higher. I've recently put the rear to the highest position because I added a trailer hitch, and there are much more frequent loads to be carried in my new business. The rear is back to 6-8mm higher. The ride is a bit higher, and there's a minor uptick in that tail bob that we've been seeking to eliminate. Somewhat more squat on acceleration, too. I had tried the highest setting when the setup was new and found it to be pretty nervous. The tail bob this time around - with break-in, is less than 1/2 what it was when the struts were new.

RECENT UNRELATED UPGRADE: Replaced the cat-laden, narrow exhaust downpipe with aftermarket (Invidio, or something like that). Dang! Nice difference: much faster turbo spooling; smoother power; more power with the tune ~18% (at sea level); safe boost from 11psi to 17psi. This was the single strongest recommendation from a terrific local tuner: KSpeed in Reno, NV. Boy were they right.

Edited by KenYz
added info

• 3 months later...
Schneider can you confirm or deny this:

Edit to the BTS-5056J parts install list:

2ea. USDM SpecB dust cap 20326AG000. local. (NOT 20320AG000)

2ea. JDM rear shock perch 20370AG010. http://www.japanparts.com

2ea. JDM rear rubber upper 20375AE011. http://www.japanparts.com

Okay, I have a 2009 OBXT should I have the first or second of the bold parts above?

• 1 month later...

For anyone looking, here is a slightly used complete BTS kit on Yahoo Japan Auctions with a "buy it now" of $970, based on current exchange rates, not included fees and shipping. I have seen these on there for a couple weeks and it looks like the seller is trying to get rid of them because it is now the highest bid that wins, with no reserve. I am sure they will go up from the 20 cents they are at now but probably top out less than $800.

http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g133484787

Thanks for the post heads up ! Could be reasonable to investigate. (looked at the JDM ebay auction and the required SpecB top hats look to be included) ...

Even after all the years... the JDM BTS Bilstein kit works great!

Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

Well, I can't read Japanese, but appears current bid is 50,000 Y. I think that is ~ $520. Of course the wild card is shipping to USA. FWIW, I looked into the BTS 5088 kits today which are down to under $1400 US...plus shipping (and/or whatever other charges need to be applied). 5088 offers somewhat stiffer springs and lower ride height. Of course my Bilstein setup is so bastardized, I have no idea whether stiffer springs & lower ride height would be a good things or not.

I have a 2008 OB XT with the Bilstein BTS setup and love it. However, the rear passenger side now makes a rattling noise over bumps. My mechanic thinks that it's most likely the strut mount that needs replacement. Does anyone know if the Bilstein BTS suspension kit uses the stock rear strut mounts? Would one of these work? - http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2008/subaru/outback/suspension/strut_mount.html

The rear shock mounts are the same for stock or US Bilsteins. *Edit* My bad, the JDM Blistein mount is different. Edited by Danteneon
Corrected post

I like to cook my pets and my family.

Use commas. Don't be a psycho.

I have a 2008 OB XT with the Bilstein BTS setup and love it. However, the rear passenger side now makes a rattling noise over bumps. My mechanic thinks that it's most likely the strut mount that needs replacement. Does anyone know if the Bilstein BTS suspension kit uses the stock rear strut mounts? Would one of these work? - http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2008/subaru/outback/suspension/strut_mount.html

IF you're asking about BTS kit: It uses a different type of upper rear mount, not like the ones in your link, and not like USDM. I can't remember where this was discussed, but I actually have a post (not sure if here on LGT or if on Subaruoutback.org with a picture and maybe part number. its definitely for JDM and for mor tapered spring. Part # is in post 46 above. But there is nothing that can go wrong unless they didn't install the small rubber buffer ( not thick like the USDM) or they didn't tighten the mounting bolts under your rear cargo floor. Now, if they mounted them with USDM mounts, that may be your problem.

Edit: see: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/bilstein-bts-outback-xt-kit-pictures-111880p12.html?highlight=JDM+rear+Bilstein+mount

Starting at around post 169, pics & discussion

Edited by Impatient

• 2 years later...
Subject: MY05 USDM Outback XT LTD. Original owner, stock condition. (Stock size) 225/55/HR17 Michelin Pilot Alpin. A mud & snow rated tire.

Objective: Street use/sport oriented suspension enhancement while maintaining the Outback signature raised ride height. - snow/ski time in the Rockies.

Outcome: Mission Accomplished! (unlike the aircraft carrier kind-politically speaking) Excellent suspension enhancement. Night and Day compared to the OEM stock. The BTS kit will have you forgetting the car is a wagon; a raised ride height wagon at that. Superior quality components.

Parts list:

1ea. JDM Bistein BTS-5056J. www.hirano-tire.co.jp - Export divison; exportdivision@hotmail.com (the Company regularly advertises 128,370 Yen for the BTS 5056J Kit)

2ea. USDM SpecB dust cap 20320AG000. local.

2ea. JDM rear shock perch 20370AG010. www.japanparts.com

2ea. JDM rear rubber upper 20375AE011. www.japanparts.com

A Bilstein link to the kit/pictured - text in Japanese

http://www.bilstein.co.jp/pdf/outback_bts.pdf

A link to the Japan based auto parts retailer whom sold my kit.

http://www.hirano-tire.co.jp/bil/bil4.htm

With the exchange rate at the time of purchase (11/08) the cost for kit alone was $1235.00 as shown on my CC statement. The additional USDM front top hats and rear JDM shock perchs were approximately $200 all toll. Any shipping charges/cost is that of the buyer. My BTS kit was shipped independent of the Hirano Tire Co Japan.

A BIG commercial goes out to fellow forum member Unclemat who "shunt to ground" much of the details. Also to Bilstein Japan and the Accenture Toyko office.

Dear M. Schneider,

I hope you can help me. I'm located in Europe with my NA 2.5i MY2007 Outback dealing with the need to replace old rear shocks. Original parts comes as self-leveling/niveau KYB shocks ( 20365AG300 ). I was reading your posts up and down here to get more concerned about the possibility to replace them with this BTS kit. Original rear shocks costs here around 500$ each. Not talking about struts, mounts and other additional parts. If I consider the price only it's even better choice - rear shocks vs. kit for whole car. But in the shop mentioned here, wwwj.japanparts.com , they say " This would not fit an auto levelizer system equipped car " Does they mean exactly the Europe models? Or better if you ever heard of someone who installed this kit in Europe , I would be glad for any info.

Thank you and wish you nice weekend

Daniel

We in the US don't have the auto-level system, so we can't speak to it exactly. I think what they mean is, it will fit, but you lose the auto-level capability of the system.

I was searching around and a found a guy in Asia that replaced his auto-level system with the BTS kit. But, unfortunately I don't remember any of the details of that thread (like where it was) to provide more input to your problem.

If you have a picture of your rear suspension and the shock, we can probably tell you if it will fit.

edit: searched around a bit. Looks like all you need is shocks and springs off a non-self-leveling unit. So, if you get the BTS kit, it should bolt right up. You do lose the self-leveling rear though.

Edited by Rhitter

We in the US don't have the auto-level system, so we can't speak to it exactly. I think what they mean is, it will fit, but you lose the auto-level capability of the system.

I was searching around and a found a guy in Asia that replaced his auto-level system with the BTS kit. But, unfortunately I don't remember any of the details of that thread (like where it was) to provide more input to your problem.

If you have a picture of your rear suspension and the shock, we can probably tell you if it will fit.

edit: searched around a bit. Looks like all you need is shocks and springs off a non-self-leveling unit. So, if you get the BTS kit, it should bolt right up. You do lose the self-leveling rear though.

@Rhitter

That was what I though about. Not an option for USDM Outbacks. But from one already forgotten thread here where M. Schneider said he was in Frankfurt or somewhere around in Germany I got an impression he could maybe know ;-)

But thank you for your nice search. In fact I'm getting more and more concerned it should fit. EU cars are build in Japan factory. Therefore in general the only difference are in p parts for USDM and JDM Subarus.

I can live without self-levelling option for sure. If it would be more reliable why not to spend money on it, but it usually won't last long.

Hey Daniel -

Good question..

The Subaru Outback's (Legacy) "Body-in White" dimensions for our shared model years/model cars is uniform if not identical world wide. Meaning,,,, suspension differences, height/type or variance's lies with the actual components fitted to our "shared "Body-in-white".

The N. American market vehicles often differ in terms of specific equipment, or trim levels offered verses the RoW (Rest of World) vehicle's equipment. A good example of this is the "self-leveling" rear suspension offered throughout the RoW markets, however not offered in N. America. .. e.g., HID headlights back in the day were offered in Germany along with accompanied high-pressure headlight washers ... Its a TUV or whatever agency requirement of German car manufacturers the HID headlights have washers. (A little known fun fact) Neither HID headlights or HL washers were offered in N. America for the MY2004 thru MY2009 Outback's

Bottom Line:

I looked thru the Bilstein.de site and the KYB.de site however could not determine if either Bilstein Germany or KYB Germany offered a traditional shock/damper as a substitute in lieu of the OEM's rear axle self-leveling components? Can you get access to Subaru.de and have a look at the exploded view of the rear suspension components?

My $.02 cents is fitting traditional gas shocks coupled with matched progressive coil springs (Bilstein BTS kit) should be cake. But do not hang your hat on this.

Check to visualize and get a good understanding how the rear sway bar is supported/fitted on your Outback.

Good luck - Tschuess

Dear M. Schneider,

I hope you can help me. I'm located in Europe with my NA 2.5i MY2007 Outback dealing with the need to replace old rear shocks. Original parts comes as self-leveling/niveau KYB shocks ( 20365AG300 ). I was reading your posts up and down here to get more concerned about the possibility to replace them with this BTS kit. Original rear shocks costs here around 500$ each. Not talking about struts, mounts and other additional parts. If I consider the price only it's even better choice - rear shocks vs. kit for whole car. But in the shop mentioned here, wwwj.japanparts.com , they say " This would not fit an auto levelizer system equipped car " Does they mean exactly the Europe models? Or better if you ever heard of someone who installed this kit in Europe , I would be glad for any info.

Thank you and wish you nice weekend

Daniel

Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

• 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...
@Rhitter

That was what I though about. Not an option for USDM Outbacks. But from one already forgotten thread here where M. Schneider said he was in Frankfurt or somewhere around in Germany I got an impression he could maybe know ;-)

But thank you for your nice search. In fact I'm getting more and more concerned it should fit. EU cars are build in Japan factory. Therefore in general the only difference are in p parts for USDM and JDM Subarus.

I can live without self-levelling option for sure. If it would be more reliable why not to spend money on it, but it usually won't last long.

Hi guys,

My name is André. I come from Germany and I have a Outback 3.0 MY08 European Model. I'm very unsatisfied with the suspension too.

@totok

Do you have found out in the meantime whether the BTS-kit can be installed in European/Japanese models too?

I hope you or other users of the forum can give some hints about this topic.

Thanks

André

Hi guys,

My name is André. I come from Germany and I have a Outback 3.0 MY08 European Model. I'm very unsatisfied with the suspension too.

@totok

Do you have found out in the meantime whether the BTS-kit can be installed in European/Japanese models too?

I hope you or other users of the forum can give some hints about this topic.

Thanks

André

Hi André,

Unfortunately I failed to made this plan reality. By the time I was really in need of new suspension there wasn't any kit available or I fail to find it online on ebay or refused to buy used one and import it from JPN. It was 3 yrs ago. At the end I select kind of oem style (street legal) set/kit from pedders.

Not sure if it is TUV certified as oem replacement for DE. But I never had an issue with Czech Technical inspections since then. I can tell it was ok feel, not much better from stock. But what was worse, when carrying really heavy loads in trunk, the handling worsen. I mean really heavy load, over the capacity. The read end dig down and front end lift up like starting airplane feeling very light on steering/handling. For the rest of occasion it was ok. I sold the car last year with 30k km on that shocks w/o any issues.

Pedders Sportsryder Coil Spring - Rear 2938

Pedders Shock Absorber - Rear 122311

Pedders Sealed Strut - Front Left 129009L

Pedders Sealed Strut - Front Right 129009R

Set of oem mounts and front springs....

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your response. I have recently replaced the self-levelling rear shocks but I'm still not satisfied. Of course better than the old ones but not the desired handling.

Your described experiences with the Pedders components don't sound very well.

So I'm afraid this components will not improve the handling of my car.

Maybe someone can tell my which models have generally the self-levelling rear shocks. As long as I read here the US models don't have self-levelling rear shocks?

But what about the other models all over the world? Are there models except the US models which don't have self-levelling rear shocks.

According to http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy a distinction is made between Europe and USA. But what about the models of other areas e.g. Japanes?

Cheers

André