LegacyGT.com

TPMS Warning Light

So last weekend, I rotated my tires at home. Tread is all good, air pressure all correct. This morning, the dummy light came on. It was cold this morning, so I figured the tires may have been down a little. I drove about 10 minutes, and the light did not go out. So I pulled over, and checked (again) the pressure. All at 32-33. I turned the car off and removed the key and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Put the key back in, and the light is still on! :spin:

I have read that the dealer has to reset the idiot light with a multi-billion dollar machine. What up?!? :confused:

There is no reset for the light to my knowledge... If the sensors are bad they will trigger it also. It it on solid or blinking?

I had issues with mine last year but it was due to my sensors being dead. I replaced them and purchased the tool to re-program the ECU with the new numbers and the tool to wake up the new sensors now it hasn't given me any issues since then. And I've rotated my tires since the initial install so it's not location sensitive.

depending on where you are.... the dealership/stealership may charge you to reset your sensors.

Shouldn't have to be reset though unless you replace the wheels or sensors.

I guess really he should ask them to just pull the codes and see if there is anything. Then again I tried that when mine was blinking after a 20 min ride and they kept telling me nothing was wrong, and that was because they didn't go for a 20 min ride to get the light to blink... lol

Shouldn't have to be reset though unless you replace the wheels or sensors.

I guess really he should ask them to just pull the codes and see if there is anything. Then again I tried that when mine was blinking after a 20 min ride and they kept telling me nothing was wrong, and that was because they didn't go for a 20 min ride to get the light to blink... lol

Even though he didnt get "new" wheels or sensors, theres obviously something not registering. Whether if its just the temp change or damaged sensors, the only way hes going to get the light cleared is to have it hooked up to a computer.

The dealership I went to ran all the tests and still couldnt figure out what was wrong until they checked the actual sensors and found out it was cracked.

I didnt feel like dragging out the issue so I bought an OEM sensor for $100 or so. They didnt charge me for reseting the sensor but the Tech told me if I bought it some where else and brought it in, they would charge me $120 to reset them.

Some places like Town Fair Tire will reset the sensor too's.

May be Pep Boy's might too. call around.

Look in the wheel tire forum, I have some info about TPM that may help someone.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/valve-stems-tpm-170653.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You drove for 10 minutes and the pressures were at 32/33? They're supposed to be at that when they're cold. Try setting the pressures to 32/33 when they're cold and see if the light goes away. You may also have to drive longer than 10 minutes for the light to go away.

As people have said, there's no need to reset/reregister the sensors. The light will come on if the pressures are too low or too high, if there is no signal from one or more of the sensors, or if there's a system malfunction.

The other day mine came on, I put 4 or 5 psi in each tire and the light went out in a short didtance.

I've had the same deal and the light goes off almost instantly, and from what I've read they are supposed to trigger a light if pressures vary over 5 psi from one tire to another, OR if they are below 25 PSI.

The other question that hasn't been answered is, was the light blinking or on solid?

I hate TPM, i have to deal with it all day long in my line of work. Its such a big waist of peoples money. What happend to just checking your tire pressures with a cheep gauge. Now to do that same function except from you driver seat can cost hundreds of dollers... to fix. Not faulting Subaru! All car companies have to comply with the US government put it in the car. Most likely you have a faulty sensor but you could have a bad control module. To find out which one is bad you will need to go to the dealership and have them read it with a Subaru scan tool.

What happend to just checking your tire pressures with a cheep gauge. Now to do that same function except from you driver seat can cost hundreds of dollers... to fix.

Sue happy people happened... if its not written down or done for you someone will find a way to profit off of it at some Else's expense even if the task is common sense, such as your coffee is going to be friken hot so BE CAREFUL with it... no now we need to have that written on the lid since some wasn't expecting it.

There are so many things these days that a car does for you that honestly if you can't do those things you shouldn't be driving.

I agree with you it is a pain, but when working right it is nice to have.

Sue happy people happened... if its not written down or done for you someone will find a way to profit off of it at some Else's expense even if the task is common sense, such as your coffee is going to be friken hot so BE CAREFUL with it... no now we need to have that written on the lid since some wasn't expecting it.

There are so many things these days that a car does for you that honestly if you can't do those things you shouldn't be driving.

I agree with you it is a pain, but when working right it is nice to have.

Not to hi jack this thread, but TPM is for people like this;

When I went to pay for the motor oil I was was buying, the young girl at the check out counter asked me, "what do you use that stuff for?"

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

i just got my tpms tranferred over to my new rims and the pressure light was on after they were on and the pressures were all good. used my accessport and reset my ecu now the light is gone and hasn't returned. I say you get the your ecu reset, if the pressures are good like you say then it must be a dead sensor like B-BGTLimited said. hope it helps.

Ok, y'all brought up some points. The light was solid, not blinking. I went to lunch yesterday, sneering at that stupid light. Went home, sneering at the stupid light. After dinner, I put my car in the garage to put on new wiper blades.

Get ready for it.

Damn light then went out. Somehow connected to the TPMS? Mechanical gremlins? Chance? Awesome mechanical skills on my part? YES!

I have to take in my car for the ECM reprogram. In Kalifornia, I suppose your car is not allowed to have more emissions than the state legislature, so it has to be reprogrammed, or the comrades at the DMV will not renew the tags. I'll mention the TPMS spookiness to the stealership so it is documented.

Tpms is a requirement in all cars since 2008 because people don't check their tires, and low tire pressure is a safety concern, increases fuel consumption and tailpipe emissions. Same basic reasons all cars are required to have airbags and ABS.

A solid tpms light indicates low tire pressure. Since your pressures are OK, I'd say it just nneeded some more driving to reset the sensors

Archived