LegacyGT.com

Repairing intake manifold - JB Weld?

2005 Legacy GT

Can someone suggest what to use for repairing a broken vacuum nipple on the front of the intake manifold? I thought about using JB Weld or some other two part epoxy.

Another thought was to drill and tap for a barb fitting if glue doesn't​ work.

No way do I want to drop the coin to replace the entire manifold just for this one issue.

I've had good results from JB Weld in the past but this time either the batch I have is bad or it's just not meant to be. It won't set up properly and stays in a gum-like state. Tried twice with the same outcome, hence this thread. Sucks because I just got this car back together only to have that nipple break off.

Next question is, since it was all apart already, is it reasonable to try removing the manifold only and leave the TGV's in place?

doobaru - PM sent.

No, remove the intake from the heads. Then work on the system on a bench. See the bottom of the intake manifold in my click here link. I'd post a picture but photobucket is down right now.

Pull the fuel lines from the shock tower, easier then messing with the QD's. I could never figure those out. Screw clamps are much easier.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The QD's aren't too bad. Just a couple locking tabs holds them in place.

I just had this manifold out to replace fuel lines so I'm very familiar with the job but was hoping that I didn't have to do anything other than pull the manifold only. Nothing like going back in for Round 2!

:lol:

When I had to replace the black O-rings between the manifold the TGV's I just lifted what I had to. When it came time for the short block, I told myself the whole thing is coming off in one piece. I had t he coolant drained any way's. Then it just a couple connectors, fuel lines and the 6 bolts is it on the TGV''s to heads.

It will give you a good chance to look things over once its off. Tighten gas line clamps.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...
I also have one available used if you need one. Check my sig for the partout

Manifold arrived today. Thanks to doobaru for posting up! Now I have an undamaged intake manifold to install.

:)

• 4 years later...